New gym need's a roof

I think they must have some kind of liability insurance in place but who paid for this? Is it another move by the Rotary or was it funded by the rec. center?  It is nice that they let kids use it but I think that will keep the adults away. I am thinking of sticky, snotty fingers all over the equipment. Yuck  :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe it was a Government grant…probably some kind of Get Active initiative.  They have them in Terrace and in Prince George (probably more but I only know of Terrace and PG)

As for snotty fingers, etc, the rain will wash that away!  :imp:

Well, we drove by there  twice today and WOW, that is really great equipment out there…Must have cost some change…The only people there though were high school kids flopped all over it, smoking…I kind of thought that was a little ironic, you know, health, exercise and all that… :unamused:

Duncan has a new “ACT Now” outdoor exercise area at their big Sportsplex facility. I know it’s geared mostly for seniors but I’m betting the funds came out of the same source.

Just curious…How come we can access Gov’t funding for exercise equipment but there seems to be no monies available for a Drug and Alcohol Worker…What happened to friggin’ priorities? And just found out a friend of mine has been sitting up at the hospital for the past 9 hours and still hasn’t been able to see a doctor…I know the two are not related but what the f…k?  Sure glad we hope to move on from here, this town is going to hell in a hand basket and before you start picking on me for that comment, no, I am not the only one who feels this way !  :imp:  Sorry, just venting…

[quote=“codybear933”]
Just curious…How come we can access Gov’t funding for exercise equipment but there seems to be no monies available for a Drug and Alcohol Worker…What happened to friggin’ priorities? [/quote]

I’m pretty sure the money for this fund is tied into the Olympic promotion bandwagon.

actnowbc.ca/

Already had this argument with my husband just before Vancouver got awarded the Games.

Little kids are already getting hurt at the Green Gym. I was there the other day and couldn’t help but notice two cute little girls, one about five years old and the other not even three. They were sisters, there by themselves, with the older one babysitting the younger one. (This in itself is a completely different social issue that makes me feel sick but I digress…). They were playing around on the two person air glider when the smaller one of course fell off and hit her head. No adult went running to the poor child, so I went over to comfort her and make sure she was okay. Eventually an uncle or something slowly sauntered up to the sidewalk and the little girls went running to him. The youngest trailed behind the oldest, crying the whole way, and the uncle seemed oblivious to her distress.

The Green Gym is another example of a grand idea that wasn’t completely thought through. Kids see it and they immediately want to play there until they are hit in the head, which then makes it unpleasant for any adult that legitimately wants to use the equipment. You end up becoming an impromptu babysitter or first aid attendant. Plus, I can’t help but parrot codybear933’s excellent question: Why is there an outdoor gym in a place that boasts the dubious honour of the wettest, cloudiest place on Earth (ok, ok, in Canada then). This is as perplexing as people who water their backyard bogs the second a sliver of blue sky flashes overhead like a figment of a natural born Rupertite’s imagination. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am just in total disbelief after reading the paper last night regarding the NH cutbacks and after speaking with a former council person this morning regarding same and both of us wondering what has happened to the priorities in this town.  The Healthy Heart Program has been butchered, having “dissolved” the position of the exercise therapist and when asked about what they expect the participants to do now as only the information part of the program will be kept (which is great but…), the answer has been , “well, they can always go to a gym”.  Now, putting aside the obvious, that most people can not afford gym fees, the social aspect and the comraderie of the program was most beneficial to those that suffered with similar ailments and benefitted from the education, the support and the monitoring of each participant during the sessions.  This is not available at most gyms. The other question is what will happen to all that beautiful donated equipment. And so we sit, another program essentially gone, more to come undoubtedly, but we can stand under our umbrellas in our mudboots and admire the marvel that is the outdoor freakin gym !!    Butterfly Fear, love your comment about watering the bogs, how about when the city workers are out during the summer watering the hanging baskets in a monsoon… :imp:

Interesting how the Healthy Heart program is basically been demolished … how come there are still so many managers within NH?  The program was a great benefit to people, and I bet these people would not to to a regular gym … they may not feel comfortable ( I would not) and of course the cost.  I can understand cuts but these don’t make any sense,  doesn’t NH lease the office space at healthy heart … not sure that they can just sublet … don’t they have to have the owner’s permission?  What if they don’t get permission … are they not stuck on paying for wasted space ??? Is there any way to put the equipment up at the hospital … perhaps make some managers share an office … soon it will be administration not a hospital. It is just sad all these cuts … there are a lot more programs/managers not as efficient that should be cut first! Just my 2 cents worth.

There is a certain ironic symbolism to displaced Healthy Heart exercise patients being redirected to an outdoor gym slick with rain, teenage angst and wild, unsupervised children. Excellent idea. :unamused:

Have to second that one…Well said…Excellent idea  :unamused:

no matter what we get in town the people will still complain. could have free milk flowing from the fountain at city hall there would be complaints  :unamused:

I would certainly complain about milk flowing from that fountain. That would be horrible seeing such a thing… :unamused:

ok free beer to get rid of the cold beer and wines  :smiley:

Then the kids would be swimming in the milk during the summer!

But of course Decker - you could have free money blowing into the streets from the coffers of Chances and there would be complaints. So what. Contentedness doesn’t bring about change. I say complain, complain, complain. Unhappiness is the root of future happiness. :imp:

ROFLMAO!! Justin, you are hilarious! I am laughing so hard there are actual tears. Great sense of humour! I’m a fan now. I always follow the One with the Humour.  :smiley:

The doctors advise milk baths to soothe sun burns, so that would be fine. Wait a minute…there is no sun here. Children playing in milk fountains in damp, 12-degree weather in the middle of August – yeah, that’s probably gross. They can always dry off their sour, curdled skin playing on the outdoor gym though, so that’s something to think about.  :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d rather have bubbles than milk,  its been a long time since the fountain was filled with bubbles…I have to admit I think it looks like fun…although I never got the chance to play in it :cry:

Butterfly fear, you realise you don’t have to make multiple posts, just use the Insert quote button while you’re doing your reply. Just scroll down and see the last posts.