This is one seriously cool computer.

Wall Street Journal loves it:

ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20040923.html

But more importantly, I love it:

http://charleshays.net/gallery/albums/0410misc/IMG_4320.sized.jpg

http://charleshays.net/gallery/albums/0410misc/IMG_4331.sized.jpg

more photos:

charleshays.net/gallery/slidesho … e=0410misc

Thanks to a certain HTMF member for extra RAM for the iMac, too.

I’m currently watching a progress bar on the new CHSS server, so I’m going to use this time to install some games (shock! horror!) on the iMac.

The iMac is a wonderful computer. I, too, love it. Having had a PC for years, the switch to the Mac has been seamless.

Yeah there neat machines. But there heavy too but they also get sohot… not good for a lcd screen. i use a 20" every day…

So far no heat problems here, how about you, Dave?

The fan quietly turns on when heavy stuff is happening (like rendering)…

it’s not a problem yet. but it will be… lcds are not suppose to be that warm. because of the liquid. touch the lcd on the left hand side near the bottome it is pretty warm…

NOt good…

[quote=“MiG”]So far no heat problems here, how about you, Dave?

The fan quietly turns on when heavy stuff is happening (like rendering)…[/quote]

No heat issues with my iMac. It’s working just like a computer should.

The main complaint I’m hearing around the web is the design flaws and how shitty it looks. Personally I’ve never cared much for macs myself but the iMac g5 looks bloody ridiculous.

At least the the g4 looked nicer and had a centered screen…

I think that the apple G5 looks wicked. Great design just needs more improvement over the heat issue…

anyone else have a problem with this ?

[quote]
But here is my big issue. The case looks like crap from a quality standpoint and I think in time it will have some serious issue. For one, it just isn’t structuraly there, if you grab it to pick it up, it deforms. now the vent slot on the back, near the top, this is where it gets ugly. The case is warped along the vent. the hole it’self isn’t a very clean hole to begin with, but i think it’s either warping do to heat, or do to not anough ribbing inside. The air coming out wasn’t hot at all, but who knows what happens when you work that thing. furthermore the clear plastic around the case apeared to be cracked inside on a lower corner at the back, could be a weird illusion, but could be cracked do to to much case flex or heating/cooling. [/quote]

forums.sudhian.com/messageview.a … erthread=y

Compared to what?

An NCIX special?

I’ll tell you what’s bloody ridiculous… installing Windows XP on a computer and as soon as you connect it to the internet it’s infected with a worm. Bloody ridiculous? How about 14 different spyware programs on a computer from “regular use” ? That’s bloody ridiculous.

I think this computer is a success, if all people can come up with are “there’s a weird illusion with the case.” How about not having to deal with viruses? Or crazy windows updates and spyware? How about spending your valuable time USING a computer, instead of FIXING a computer?

Honestly, except for those people who really enjoy and know how to fix windows and tweak their system, I have NEVER seen a WindowsXP install that hasn’t been completely and utterly screwed up with spyware, scumware, viruses, DLL hell, etc. Every single “normal” person I’ve visited with a WindowsXP machine has problems.

And you know that’s true, 'cause all your relatives are constantly calling with their Windows problems, aren’t they? Drop into anybody’s house who uses WindowsXP (and Internet Explorer, usually), and you’ll find a hosed computer.

[quote=“MiG”]

Compared to what?

An NCIX special?

I’ll tell you what’s bloody ridiculous… installing Windows XP on a computer and as soon as you connect it to the internet it’s infected with a worm. Bloody ridiculous? How about 14 different spyware programs on a computer from “regular use” ? That’s bloody ridiculous.

I think this computer is a success, if all people can come up with are “there’s a weird illusion with the case.” How about not having to deal with viruses? Or crazy windows updates and spyware? How about spending your valuable time USING a computer, instead of FIXING a computer?

Honestly, except for those people who really enjoy and know how to fix windows and tweak their system, I have NEVER seen a WindowsXP install that hasn’t been completely and utterly screwed up with spyware, scumware, viruses, DLL hell, etc. Every single “normal” person I’ve visited with a WindowsXP machine has problems.

And you know that’s true, 'cause all your relatives are constantly calling with their Windows problems, aren’t they? Drop into anybody’s house who uses WindowsXP (and Internet Explorer, usually), and you’ll find a hosed computer.[/quote]

SIMMA!! someone obviously pushed his buttons, i personally dont like macs :S

[quote=“MiG”]

Compared to what?

An NCIX special?

And you know that’s true, 'cause all your relatives are constantly calling with their Windows problems, aren’t they? Drop into anybody’s house who uses WindowsXP (and Internet Explorer, usually), and you’ll find a hosed computer.[/quote]

i am constantly finding my self saying this kinda stuff all the time. why buy a cheap pos pc when you can buy a decent mac like the 17" and not have worms viruses spy-ware or ect ect screwed up installs .

I work in a new computer company and makes most of or if not 90% of the tech sales off PC’s number one Viruses number 2 Spy-ware. Our repair hopper at work is filled with PC’s with these problems. but i see on the other hopper for mac is either a machine that needs a component install ie ram or a hard drive or a customer that has just simply screwed up there computer or customer has broken it by accident. IE a laptop. Our repair hopper sits at 5 days or more for people to get there computer back and we have about 9 PC tech’s on hand all day. Not including my self because i do both.

My wife said it very eloquently when I asked her how she liked our new iMac. She said “since I sometimes only get 10 minutes to use the computer (when Isaac is sleeping or occupied), I like the fact that I can use almost all that time to do what I need to (such as email or web research)”. Basically, as the cliche states, “Macs just work”.

Well, I have this “client” in town, who pays me $90/hour to work on her computer. She’s a professional and uses her computer for work, so it’s not outrageous. She has a nice expensive car and everything else.

Yet her computer is a cheap POS. I asked her why she didn’t buy a brand-name at least, and why not a Mac? She said that this computer was cheaper. (She saved maybe $350-400 over a low-end iMac) All she needs is word processing and e-mail.

Last year, this client paid me over $900 to work on her POS. Spyware, viruses, DLL-hell, etc. Every single issue she had wouldn’t have existed on a Mac.

So no, I’m glad Windows sucks, it makes me extra pocket money. But when I need to do real work, I won’t be using WindowsXP.

[quote=“MiG”]

Compared to what?

An NCIX special?

DUDE! I was talking about the design

Not only that but a person just needs to have one or two anti-adware programs on…not 14, thats a wee bit over-exagerating but I get your point.

I myself have never really bothered updating windows and its worked fine since I have stopped installing the dozens of updates you have to do. Only real updates you need are for graphics and direct x. And maybe a few usb things.

Well every single normal person…thats talking about people who rather not even educate themselves on the matters at hand. If the system fucks up its a hackers fault or there own. True fact mind you, I dunno you are more qualified than I am but I still beleive one should at least try a lil’ harder to keep windows stable. Honestly it isn’t that tough

Sadly most of my relatives live in toronto, the only people that call me are the ones that have actual problems with there windows, like having to re-format or something else that is big enough to actually worry about.

Keep in mind I rather use Linux over the Mac & Windows, I simply use windows cause my siblings and parents do not wish to use Linux as it is “too difficult”…and because I rather not have to download quite a few programs to get one game running on linux.

You brang up good points, some are faulty. Others are 100 percent true

• Dj Tux…the guy who would use a mac if it was free

Yes…macs work

But so does a windows or linux os with firefox and thunderbird installed on it, keep in mind I would try looking for the 0.93 release as the currently 1.0PR is still a bit buggy here and there. Other than that my windows/linux os’ rarely crash on me.

But hey whatever floats your boat, if you choose to use Macs I’m not gonna slap you in the face with a windows xp pro box :smile:

I have to confess that in 8 yrs all I’ve ever done to a Mac is add RAM, add bigger HDs or install newer OS’s.
What MiG says is also sickeningly common. People with helicopters, Hummers and lakeshore homes seem to all buy the cheapest f***ing Compaq Celeron they can get and put all their company books on it! And ask if I can install their Colorado backup drive because they’re to stupid to learn Nero…
I always have people mad at me because I can’t get them a new 100MB SCSI ZIP internal drive, or a 25 pin SCSI when their whole store is down cuz they haven’t updated since 1990…

It really depends what your application is before you go picking which OS is the best. If you are looking for something any moron can use get windows simply for the millions of wizards. However wizards are an administration nightmare, either because you have to sit and click them or because the god damn user just clicks next to get through it.

If you are looking for something with great server applications client or server side you would be looking at linux possibly mac. Admitedly I dont know much about them other than the classics I used in school.

Graphics/video editing mac. It really pisses me off when people go saying this platform is better than the other without even specifying the application. I am making this post in windows occaisionally they are in linux. Depends what else I am doing Generally my scripting etc is done in linux (multiple desktops, built in terminal emulator etc.) when I am not plugged into a power source its usually linux as well because I get an extra half hours battery life.

One of my teachers is always telling me to stay open minded about my platforms and not to get stuck in the “this os is better than that because…” bullshit and its true. They all have their applications windows less so than others but thats just my opinion.

Ps. What the fuck is up with ie and png images im going to freak

j-enterprises.net/firewall/

look at it in IE and in Mozilla/Opera

I split it into 2 websites one for IE the other for everything else and saved my logo’s as gifs for the ie page it looks like shit any suggestions?

Anandtech.com, a die-hard PC hardware site takes on the Mac. Great article, takes on every aspect of a month with a Mac.

anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232

“What you are about to read are my impressions, as a devout PC user, of the Apple way of life.”

“In the end, Apple has developed a very strong platform. OS X is quite possibly one of the best operating systems of its time and in many ways, is the best for what it does, and Apple’s hardware leaves very little to be desired. But as always, the Apple platform is a tough sell to the mainstream for the reasons that I’ve already outlined. I took a chance and ended up pleasantly surprised. Maybe more PC users would be pleasantly surprised too…”