New forum about books

Summer is a time when many like to read.  Here is a place where you can discuss books, fiction or not.  I don’t read much (or enough) but I like to hear about books as I may find something interesting.  And I know that there are avid readers among htmf members.

So go ahead, start new threads about the stuff you read within this forum.

OK, now back to my Archie Digest :wink:

You and my husband… :unamused:  :smiley:

you people read stuff beyond the forum? Where do yo find the time? lol

lol good one.  But thanks for the new forum.  :wink:

Don’t know what your interests are but here’s a few i’ve read recently:

Guns, Germs, and Steel…Jared Diamond
The how and why Western civilizations developed the technology and immunities
that allowed them to dominate much of the world.

Collapse…Jared Diamond
How societies choose to fail or succeed

Death’s Acre…Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson
Inside the legendary “body farm”

When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops…George Carlin

For anyone out there that may like crime/mystery novels, particularily of the Brit variety, I’d like to recommend Kate Atkinson. She has a trilogy of novels loosely based around one character that starts off with “Case Histories”, continues with “One Good Turn” and the latest is 'When Will There Be Good News?". Her writing is very unusual, you often think things are going one way when things take a right turn but I find them very entertaining.

:sunglasses:

From Sweden comes “The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo”, quite an interesting read as a 20 year old misfit helps solve a 50 year old murder.
The book slowly steers the young female outcast into the main protagonist, overshadowing the original one.
Good book, but at the end you realize the author has set up for two more sequels about her. Thankfully, he died and spared us an endlessly declining series.
Which is more than can be said for Ted Bell and his Alexander Hawke books. This contemporary James Bond revives again this summer in a particularly half-assed effort. Usually the Hawke books are entertaining, but I can’t even recall the name of this one a week later. Chapters are rushed, and things seem to have been edited to little more than a “Readers Digested” version. Disjointed characters don’t nicely assemble and stumble into the plot, the plot hits them within a paragraph of the character being introduced. And they ALL immediately guess the conspiracy behind it all, sometimes without even talking to the others. Piss poor.
Someone also mistook my comment on Wilbur Smith (“interesting”) and delivered unto my door fifteen pounds of his books. As I hadn’t gone to Costco for a while (I am NOT ever going to pay $12.99 for a pocketbook. Even if they removed the US price to try to sucker us), I read them all before the heatwave started.
From the Courtney novels and their painted-over racism to the adventures of the eunuch Taita in Ancient Egypt complete with obligatory sex scenes so amazingly similar one can only deduce Mr. Smith had sex only once, and that was in his "nether regions"
Nothing worth watching on tv since May, about the last time I put down a novel with a smile and felt like I’d read something. That ‘homegrown’ one was William Deverell’s Kill All The Judges.

OHHH I bought a good one a while back something about a guy named Calvin and his “Pet” tiger Hobbes. Comedy, violence, political statements, family fun and babes.

Cosmos, by the late, great Cornell astronomer Carl Sagan.  This is an uplifting, imaginative view of the universe.  My favourite part of the book is Sagan’s mathematical equation that calculates the probability of the existence of extra-terrestrial life.  :sunglasses:

Before I forget, I’d like to recommend “The Time Traveller’s Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger. I have no clue how the film version (opening shortly) is possibly going to do any justice to the novel but it’s a great read.My sister liked it so much she bought all her closest friends a copy.

Me? I’m a cheap bitch and am very thankful for the inter-library system down here on the Island, so aside from new books by my two favourite authors once a year, the only time I spend money on my voracious reading habits is either gift certificates or at the super-cool,ultra-cheap little bookstore we discovered down in Saltair.  :smiley:

I read too slowly for borrowing books from the library :wink:

I tend to have a cycle for reading material: Non-fiction/Fiction/Nothing/Non-fiction…

Right now (in the fiction part of the cycle), I’m on my third book from Craig Johnson, a retired police officer who lives on a Ranch Wyoming. His main character is Walt Longmire, a sheriff in a small county in Wyoming.  Murders, action, history, Cheyenne and Crow lore, and Old Western traditions are all mixed in a very entertaining way in these great novels.  I agree with his own words when he says that he writes murder mysteries for people who get to the end of the book and don’t really care about who the murderer is. 

Also, Hitest, isn’t the mathematical equation called the Drake equation?

Yeah, Frank Drake created it and Sagan discusses it in his book.  I erroneously referred to it as Sagan’s equation.  Thanks for the correction.  :smile:

the time travelors wife is by far one of my favourite books. I read it 3 times, just hated to leave those characters. The movie came out a while ago and I went to see it with very low expectations even tho I like eric bana. I didnt really care for the movie, tho it was true to the story line and they didnt drift off to far. I just didnt care for their version of Henry. He wasnt the great Henry of my imagination but rather a darker broody Henry.

There are a number of good books listed here.

I suggest The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Set in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960s, an interesting story of simmering racial relations told from the viewpoint of three women - one white and two black.

Also enjoyed Age of Persuasion by Terry O’ Reilly and Mike Tennant. A look into the advertising business with some fascinating insider facts.

Visited Birchtown this summer which is outside Shelburne, NS - featured in Lawrence Hill’s, The Book of Negroes. Disappointed that this is not a designated historic site, but enjoyed reading two of his three books.

I just finished Roadside Crosses by Jeffrey Deaver. It’s about Cyberbullying. Made me think about what some of us post in here while I was reading it…

Read quite a few books this past couple months…mostly escapist medieval fantasy stuff or similar light reading: Jim Butcher’s Code Alexa series plus started his Dresden Files series. He writes well and has some good ideas that aren’t completely derivative.
I also waded through Romeo D’Allaire’s “Shake Hands With the Devil” about the Rwandan genocide and the UN mismanagemnet of the whole peacekeeping/aid process. Not an easy read. Hard to stomach and rationalize the Western nations behaviour…
Ripped through a couple John Saul novels off the “free” rack …easy to see why they were there. Not worth more than a couple hours of attention but they definitely killed some time on a gloomy afternoon.
Read Chuck Klosterman’s “Eating the Dinosaur” this weekend. Definite laugh out loud funny with a bunch of stuff referenced that required some wikipedia searching to fully understand. This is a series of essays starting with interviewing and why people answer questions about themselves, especially to complete strangers (as in the interviewing process). It moves on to some other relationships drawn between seemingly disparate individuals or groups, like Kurt Cobain and David Koresh…I guess they’re called “pop culture essays”. It kind of reminded me of Freakonomics without all the math. And no conclusions, I guess, just stuff to think about.