Network advice

I have an iBook G4 Wireless, a G4 eMac (not wireless), an hp wireless laptop and a samsung printer. I need advice on how to network all this so that they all print and that the two wireless computers work.

thanks.

I like print servers, so easy.

[quote=“BigThumb”]I have an iBook G4 Wireless, a G4 eMac (not wireless), an hp wireless laptop and a samsung printer. I need advice on how to network all this so that they all print and that the two wireless computers work.

thanks.[/quote]

Printer
|
| USB
|
eMac (10.4)
|
| Cat 5
|
Wireless router
. .
. .
iBook / HP

There ya go. 10.4 can share easily with both windows and Mac OS X, and if you use Rendezvous (or Bonjour, I think they call it now) then you don’t even have to configure anything. It will just work. You can install Bonjour for Windows too.

[quote=“MiG”]

[quote=“BigThumb”]I have an iBook G4 Wireless, a G4 eMac (not wireless), an hp wireless laptop and a samsung printer. I need advice on how to network all this so that they all print and that the two wireless computers work.

thanks.[/quote]

Printer
|
| USB
|
eMac (10.4)
|
| Cat 5
|
Wireless router
. .
. .
iBook / HP

There ya go. 10.4 can share easily with both windows and Mac OS X, and if you use Rendezvous (or Bonjour, I think they call it now) then you don’t even have to configure anything. It will just work. You can install Bonjour for Windows too.[/quote]

maybe buy a wireless card for the emac and use it to share internet to the laptops and the ibook ?

Wireless routers cheap at Futureshop. Easiest solution.

cheap one: tinyurl.com/7csdu

This one includes USB wireless thingie too: tinyurl.com/c7xpq

Oh, but compare the price without the rebate, 'cause I dunno what Futureshop’s track record is on rebates.

Thanks Mig, I think I understand your diagram ( Cat 5 is an ethernet connection isn’t? Cat 5 cable) . Will both suggested routers work for this set-up? Also, could the printer connect directly to the router?

There are routers that have printer ports, that might be an option.

But I have sort of the same setup, and my printer is connected to my G5, and then just shared with zeroconf/rendezvous/bonjour.

Here’s bonjour for windows:

apple.com/support/downloads/ … eadme.html

Then you shouldn’t have to do any configuring at all.

[quote=“MiG”]Wireless routers cheap at Futureshop. Easiest solution.

cheap one: tinyurl.com/7csdu

This one includes USB wireless thingie too: tinyurl.com/c7xpq

Oh, but compare the price without the rebate, 'cause I dunno what Futureshop’s track record is on rebates.[/quote]

The Netgear wireless routers were on for $39.00 and on saturday they were $9.99. W/O rebates they were 79 and 49 respectively.
I have heard rumours of people who actually got rebates from companies not in Canada. Iomega wasn’t one (5 rebates over the years, none accepted), Jasc was another (according to refusal letter, coupon had to be postmarked exactly 30 days after bill of sale, mine was less).

Just buy a cross over cable for 15 bucks and save alot of money. I have no trouble with that. I am printing from my other pc running though this small network. Go to the source.

Hey by the way. Where did the Source CC some from? Is it radio shack with a differant name?

“Went to Rupert during the summer, and where did Radio Shack go? The Source…people still look the same, differant name? What’s going on?”

No need for crossovers with macs… their built in ethernet card does it for you.

Oh, I did not know that. :smiley:

[quote=“Delirious”]

No need for crossovers with macs… their built in ethernet card does it for you.[/quote]

That isnt mac specific :wink: most new NICs are autosensing and will do it.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-09-07

My simple Network
Was consitering going wireless since its pretty much as fast as wired these days, but I had everything to make it a wired network already.

||Phone line
||
DSL Modem
||Cat 5
||
Router - Computer, Computer
||Cat 5
||
Switch
||Cat 5
Computer, Networked seXbox, running fedora core

[quote=“Delirious”]My simple Network
Was consitering going wireless since its pretty much as fast as wired these days, but I had everything to make it a wired network already.
[/quote]

:laughing: no!

Ok well i cahnged my mind and i wont just be a dick. Wireless might be capable of 54MBPS/108 for dual channel. However your loss is so great that its actually much slower and much less reliable. wireless is convienient not fast.

[quote=“MiG”]

thanks.[/quote]

Printer
|
| USB
|
eMac (10.4)
|
| Cat 5
|
Wireless router
. .
. .
iBook / HP

There ya go. 10.4 can share easily with both windows and Mac OS X, and if you use Rendezvous (or Bonjour, I think they call it now) then you don’t even have to configure anything. It will just work. You can install Bonjour for Windows too.[/quote]

OK,
I got this setup now. The printer works with the eMac but not with the iBook. The wireless connection works like a charm on the iBook anywhere in the house. I am running 10.4 on both machines and just ran the software update today.
Everytime I spotlight “bonjour” I get the file sharing application “Partage”. I checked the printer sharing box on both machines.

The message on the iBook is that the printer is not responding.

Any ideas?

On the eMac, you have printer sharing on?

On the iBook, when you print, do you select “shared printers” ? It should just show up there.

A useful way to see if rendezvous/zeroconf/bonjour (whatever they call it these days) is working properly is to start iTunes on the eMac, and see if you can see the music by running iTunes on the iBook. You may have to enable music sharing on iTunes. See if that works first, before you try the printer.

Here’s what I did on my G5 to get it to share the printer.

First, set up the printer on the computer, make sure it’s all working fine.

Then:

Just have printer sharing on. Any other Mac (or computer using zeroconf) on the same subnet will just see it and it will work.

Here’s what it looks like on my iBook (I use it on a bunch of different networks, so I try not to have permanent printers, just used shared ones as I need them):

http://static.flickr.com/27/53110496_f84380aae7.jpg

The key here is that you have to make sure it’s the right printer you’re aiming at… if you’ve ever set up your printer on your ibook, you may be trying to print to it via USB, and it’s not there anymore. On my screenshot there, you’ll see HP LJ 1200 (and a bunch of others) that are from other networks (or when it’s directly connected). I have to make sure I choose the one that says “location: G5.local” or whatever…

Works fine now. The last screenshot helped me solved the problem.
Thanks a lot MiG.