Need help w/ Norton

I have an m:robe mp3 player that requires a program called m:trip to be used. i was having problems with it so i phoned their hotline and the guy told me to program an exception for a file becaue of my Norton Antivirus 2005. The guy told me to phone Norton to find out how but their business hours just ended. I figured i could get an answer here before i’d have to phone them. so i guess my question is: how do i program an exception in Norton Antivirus 2005 for a file?

Start >> Control panel >> add remove programs >> norton >> Uninstall/remove

Seriously… norton is a piece of crap.

[quote=“jesus”]Start >> Control panel >> add remove programs >> norton >> Uninstall/remove

Seriously… norton is a piece of crap.[/quote]

…funny…

i figured it out though. so ya, no need for help anymore.

tinyurl.com/cqo87 wasnt trying to be funny

:wink:

[quote=“jesus”]Start >> Control panel >> add remove programs >> norton >> Uninstall/remove

Seriously… norton is a piece of crap.[/quote]

Seriously, Norton is a whole pile of crap. Get rid of it and you’re computer will work a hell of a lot faster. Get AVG FREE from www.grisoft.com for viruses. Don’t add a firewall if you have XP, use it’s firewall. If you want a better anti-spyware download AdAware or Spybot (pick ONE) and run it only when you want.
If you have the Norton CDs give them to someone you really don’t like.

Agreed. Norton was good for windows 98 and me, but for xp. NAH! Pile of crap is true, AVG or McAfee.

Also it would not hurt to have more that one anti-spyware prog on your pc.
When I did a full scan with ad-aware, it picked up a trojan that it could not pic up with quick scan.

NORTON SUCKS!!! I’ve seen sooo many computers, that “should” be decent fast computers (IE P4 512mb ram…) and with norton on there, they’re dog slow. Solution, Unistall norton, and computer is 100x faster. I personally use avg, simply because its free for single users, its realiable, and it only take half a meg of ram to run in the background. I’ve seen a computer with a gig a ram, have norton taking up 120mb… thats just rediculous.

Delirious wrote:

I have McAfee right now, and it seems to be taking up lots of memory too considering it’s right up there with Norton. (speaking of marketing and popularity)

ty

I’ve been using AntiVir (http://freeav.com) for the last few years, and have been quite happy with it.

I also recommend AVG as an alternative. For a personal, home-use computer, there are really solid free antivirus programs and stuff like that.

[quote=“Eso”]I’ve been using AntiVir (http://freeav.com) for the last few years, and have been quite happy with it.

I use this for friends and when i fix computers for people. I also use good old trendmicro.com[/quote]

Yeah, I use http://www.trendmicro.com/housecall sometimes when I’m doing something to a friends’ computer.

In all honesty after your system has been bastardized by norton its best to just format and re-install windows. You wont ever get it working as well as it was in a pre-norton state.

On another note I really love how norton internet security warns me im connected to a new network when i change the IP address to fit a new networking scheme… then of course it kindly firewalls it off automatically without telling me so i sit there wondering what the fuck is going on. Then about an hour later once i have tested my cable runs I disable it and everything works great.

[quote=“jesus”]

In all honesty after your system has been bastardized by norton its best to just format and re-install windows. You wont ever get it working as well as it was in a pre-norton state.

On another note I really love how norton internet security warns me im connected to a new network when i change the IP address to fit a new networking scheme… then of course it kindly firewalls it off automatically without telling me so i sit there wondering what the fuck is going on. Then about an hour later once i have tested my cable runs I disable it and everything works great.[/quote]

Guess you really are not a tech if you have to waste a hour playing with cables and such when you have NIS installed…

[quote=“jleaman”]

Guess you really are not a tech if you have to waste a hour playing with cables and such when you have NIS installed…[/quote]

Ok dipshit, its called troubleshooting I start at layer 1 and work my way up through the different devices in the network generally from outside the network into the workstation.

Going off in random directions might work for you for small little piss ass jobs but I prefer to use proper troubleshooting procedures thanks.

But go ahead take little pot shots at me saying im a shitty tech. I think my clients and the clients at my “job” would disagree with you.

I deal with issues on the networks i design once a year max and well at my “job” there isnt an issue (that I have access to fix) that doesnt get fixed within 20 minutes.

Oh please note that I am the second highest paid technician at my “job” and i am the second newest. k thanks.

[quote=“jesus”]

On another note I really love how norton internet security warns me im connected to a new network when i change the IP address to fit a new networking scheme… then of course it kindly firewalls it off automatically without telling me so i sit there wondering what the fuck is going on. Then about an hour later once i have tested my cable runs I disable it and everything works great.[/quote]

ANY TECH OUT THERE… would not install NIS in there laptop and spend 1 hour looking at cables and other things when NIS is almost 99% of the time at fault… Joel if you spent 1 hour looking at cables and other problems yet knowing norton has detected another location… did the detecting of the new network not let you know that there is something there ? Maybe go back to school. OR uninstall NIS…

[quote=“jleaman”]

ANY TECH OUT THERE… would not install NIS in there laptop and spend 1 hour looking at cables and other things when NIS is almost 99% of the time at fault… Joel if you spent 1 hour looking at cables and other problems yet knowing norton has detected another location… did the detecting of the new network not let you know that there is something there ? Maybe go back to school. OR uninstall NIS…[/quote]

First off jason you have no clue what i was working with when I got to this place. in addition to that I do not run windows on my laptop and you know that so clearly you are just looking to be a dickhead. I spent approximately 1 hour looking at calbes and replacing ends on them then I placed my new firewall in line and tested the internet connection which worked then tested the DESKTOP machine that i had not touched other than to change the IP’s. Diagnosing NIS as the problem took approximately 5 minutes after I had redone most of the cabling.

The cabling before I fixed it all was a ratsnest the ends were stripped a foot back so I suspected them first. I do not use NIS and havnt since 2k and that was for all of 2 days.

Who in their right mind would automatically firewall off all inbound and outbound traffic when you change your IP address, that is completely retarded and I wouldnt suspect that of any application.

Norton simply gave me a dialog that said you are now on network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and i said ok go away no further dialog from NIS it simply dropped packets.

I am a network engineer not a know all the retarded behavior of wannabe windows “security” applications engineer. So no I think I am good with being done school.

I use proper troubleshooting procedure I knwo thats a foreign concept to you jason. It can take more time sometimes but bouncing all over the place testing random ideas you may have isnt going to work in alot of situations. Especially random weird issues caused by a cable that tests fine but doesnt actually work. By your logic I should automatically assume NIS and go disable it.

By the way I have only run into the NIS issue once hence why I brought it up, I do not know everything unlike you jason. I have to learn and if I used your troubleshooting behavior I would never figure out the weird situations.

:unamused:

This thread pwns.

Can you say troll? I knew you could…

sheesh you guys…take your pissing match of my cat5 is bigger than your cat5 somewhere else…

[quote=“VMS”]Can you say troll? I knew you could…

sheesh you guys…take your pissing match of my cat5 is bigger than your cat5 somewhere else…[/quote]

But i have a little baby cat5 :frowning:

remember this thread about XP printer sharing problems?
viewtopic.php?t=4922

fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…
forgot to look for fucking Norton at step 1…

or the little old lady that called Friday 32 times and left 7 messages plus two at home and woke me up this morning cuz she couldn’t get e-mail and her dad is dying? Had to drive out to the end of the lake cuz it’s too fucking hard to explain to a 70year old over the phone:
fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…fucking NIS…

NORTON MUST DIE!!!