My idea to Tourism Prince Rupert

I do not think our tourism industry has been not setting the world ablaze, and nothing brings out ideas like cold hard cash, so a contest sponsored maybe by the Port to see who can come up with the most viable tourism concept could help in my opinion a tourism industry needing fresh ideas.

Really what more can Rupert offer with what we already offer

Simple: Mount Hays!

That’s a tourist attraction. Bring back a better Gondola or a road with a restaurant at the top. I bet for the cost we dump into CityWest and the Pulp Mill location we could have it. lol

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]Simple: Mount Hays!

That’s a tourist attraction. Bring back a better Gondola or a road with a restaurant at the top. I bet for the cost we dump into CityWest and the Pulp Mill location we could have it. lol[/quote]

Put on a wetsuit and could hanglide to a sandy beach on Digby,lol

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]Simple: Mount Hays!

That’s a tourist attraction. Bring back a better Gondola or a road with a restaurant at the top. I bet for the cost we dump into CityWest and the Pulp Mill location we could have it. lol[/quote]

That is a great Idea as I loved it up there. To bad some people decided to burn it down. What a fire that was.

I loved going up there…but it would cost too much for the amount of people who would access it. We have no cruise ships at the moment. Rupertites would use it at the beginning but then what, the novelty would wear off. The cost for start up would be tremendous, and who would pay for that ??

For the short term we could pump Prince Rupert as a safe place to have an End of the World party. Come on, it could work, you know it could!

I know of a lot of economic development officers from surrounding communities who should seriously consider a group investment into the Mount Hays Project. This has potential for a joint venture with BC Hydro perhaps? Telus? Rogers? Port of Prince Rupert?

The best tourist places are local favourites too. If I could vote I’d say bring back Mount Hays Since we’ve lost public access to Ridley Island, and the Mount Hays gondola, we can only dream of other front country public spaces. Salt Lakes must have been amazing, but you need a boat, isn’t it still a provincial park? In the meantime one can walk around Port Ed ,I like the open feel out there. There’s McClymont Park, not universally accessible though; any street in town on an early weekend morning will do for a walk. However, with the open view at Ridley now inaccessible I’m Kaien Island bound. Tourists don’t even know what they are missing.

For those looking for a walking place, try the Cemetery. Now that Falcone Way has been completed there is a loop that’s almost 1km. It’s flat, smooth (mostly) and very quiet. And, now that the port has taken down some of the trees on the road to the Maher Terminals there are even glimpses of the ocean through the remaining trees.

Get an IMAX theater. They’re well worth the drive and the price of admission.

x