Municipal Elections Part 2

Place your vote now.

Don’t be afraid to speak your mind.  I’d like to hear complaints as well as positive qualities about our City Councillors.  Keep it brief and on topic please. :smile:

I don’t think any of them have done a terrible job, but I’d rather not see Bedard re-elected. Even though it’s allowed, it’s simply not fair to have her passing–for example–tax increases. At least all the other Councillors passing those increases have to pay them.

My favorite 6 best to worst…

1. Gordon-Payne - Nice lady
  2. Kinney - Good advocate for seniors but too quiet on other issues
  3. Bedard - What Eccentric said
  4. Briglio - He bit a guy.  Not exactly acceptable conduct by a city councillor.
  5. Thorkelson - Her position as a labour leader seems to come into play too often. I wonder what her motives are at times and am concerned that she’s using her elected position to further her cause as labour leader.
  6. Cote - I don’t like this guy.  Complains alot and just seems to be a jerk.

QFT

eccentric - I never thought of that - about Bedard voting to raise taxes she doesn’t have to pay - good point!

[quote=“BoNeCrAcKeR”]

1. Briglio - He bit a guy.  Not exactly acceptable conduct by a city councillor.[/quote]

Briglio- Agreed.  He assaulted a citizen, he should go.

I am not a fan of Briglio - I like people who are rational. But to be fair, I don’t believe he has been convicted of assault as of this moment.

I have been following this thread for a few weeks now.  I don’t live in PR anymore but spent 20 some yrs there.  I think Nelson Kinney should run for Mayor.  He has the City’s best interest at heart, works hard for the seniors and, with encouragement, would speak out. 
My opinion about Briglio…  Public disorder, not acceptable. 

Kinney for Mayor!

.>

[quote=“fixed”]
I have been following this thread for a few day now.[/quote]

love to see THorkelson go she has a one track mind and that is on cannery workers screw the businesses just help cannery workers

Nelson for mayor

and love him or hate him Tony is trying to get our health care back to where it was before northern health did all the cuts to us so Prince George can keep the surplus

Cote he can go too as can Bedard

I’m new to town, and new to civic politics, as I’ve never lived in a town long enough to vote for municipal elections or I have lived in rural areas where there is no vote.

So, I have a few questions… one… why would the above person mentioned not pay taxes?  Two, when should we see new people who are running for mayor?  The election is in November, right?  Shouldn’t we already see people running?  Where would I get most of my information about the people running? (besides here)  Newspaper?  Public meetings?  Radio?  TV?

Councillor Kathy Bedard actually lives in the municipality of Pord Edward–but is still allowed to sit as a City Councillor in Prince Rupert. As such, she is in a unique position where she can pass resolutions–such as tax increases–without actually feeling their affects like the other Councillors do.

Councillor Bedard owns property in Prince Rupert, therefore she pays the taxes in that she votes to raise, which is why she is allowed to run for City Council in Prince Rupert.

Is owning property a prerequisite for running for council?  What if someone rents an apartment, or lives in an RV?  They can’t run?

Next they’ll be saying you need to own property to vote.

Interesting.  In that case should Francesco Aquilini be allowed to run for Council if he desires?  He does own the Highliner after all. Certainly pays his share of taxes.  I honestly don’t know what the critria is to be able to run for municipal council.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

From FAQs at municipalelections.com

You are eligible to vote in a British Columbia local election as a resident elector if you:
• are a Canadian citizen;
• are 18 years of age or more on general voting day;
• have lived in British Columbia for at least six months before you register to vote; and
• have lived in the municipality, regional district or school district for 30 days or more before you register to vote.

You may be eligible to vote in a British Columbia local election as a non-resident property elector if you:
• are a Canadian citizen;
• are 18 years of age or more on general voting day;
• have lived in British Columbia for at least six months before you register to vote; and
• are not otherwise disqualified from voting in an election.

If you are qualified to vote in a general local election and if you have not otherwise been disqualified, you are eligible to run for office. In addition, you must:
• be 18 or older;
• be a Canadian citizen; and
• be a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months before the election

LOL, well if only if he promises to move the Canucks to Rupert and play out of the Civic Centre, oh wait, hmmm, on second thought, only if he promises NOT to move them to Prince Rupert…

We probably deserve better than that!

:smiley:

little known fact: in order to VOTE one must reside in the appropriate jurisdiction… however, one DOES NOT NEED TO LIVE in the municipality in order to run for council. It is the same all over BC - this is provincial legislation. You do have to meet some requirements before running, but living in the municipality is not one of them, nor is owning property.

Herb Pond could run for mayor of Vancouver if he wanted. Someone from the Queen Charlotte Islands could run to be on Prince Rupert council.

The theory being, the voters make the decision. And the VOTERS must reside in the municipality.

[quote=“MiG”]
Is owning property a prerequisite for running for council? [/quote]

You don’t have to own property - or even LIVE - in the community to be elected to council. We could elect a mayor and council from Vancouver - sometimes I think we may as well.