Municipal Election

Joy does know her stuff that she has proven, well in the fishing industry for sure but too much union could hurt the city in a big way and there is no getting away from that. Did you say five or six wives? How does the barber feel.

Joy Thorkelson will be a strong candidate. People need to understand that smart people like her are needed. Sure, she has a strong union background but she knows her stuff and your tax dollars will be well spent with her on the council.

What money? I thought we had no money and I am sure those big cruise ships have not filled an pockets, well we won’t get on to that now will we. The organ player earned his I am sure.

Cruise ships worked for me… I got on average an extra $100+ each week there was a ship. Tourists definately didn’t buy as much as people that worked at the cannery, but they were definately spending money here.

Ask certain charter fishermen and tour boat operators if they made money this cruise season. I bet they’ll all laugh at your question.

I think the shop here brought in about grand in american funding, just for the internet access. Im sure the tour/charter businesses raked in the doe this summer… not to mention the port corp making thousands every time the ship tied up. Needless to say, it will be good to get a few honest people in the city administration for once. Joy is very dedicated to her work, and she makes decisions that effect/benefit the majority of the people, not just a handful of businessmen.

I was referring to the municipal taxes that you pay ( unless you’re 12!)

Well I guess that means Joy is a shoe in , so who will replace Tony and Jack now. There must be some good honest people out there who care about what goes on in the community.Someone who is not afraid to make waves when it comes to serious issues affecting the town folk.

Nominate me!

Tony got the most council votes last election, its hard to say that he would go from first to worst. As for new guys, I think that council sounds like a Larry Hope thing to do.

Now that I’m not living in PR anymore, maybe I can suggest a few people for council:

Rudy Kelly ( PR. unofficial Howard Stern)- smart and mouthy.

Richard Wright (from the Electrician), all-around nice guy, lots of business contacts.

Joy Sundin ( involved with Seafest and special events), a woman of action.

Rob Grodecky (involved in hockey and flag football), good political mind.

Steven Eso ( yes that one!), young curmudgeon in the making but so smart.

Mike Sidhu (commentator), great sense of humour, would be the glue of the council.

Adrienne Johnston ( Cow Bay café), hardworking and small business savvy.

The common link between these people is that they love Prince Rupert and I think that’s one thing people should look for when voting for a new council.

Now let the Prince rumors begin…

Hey, thanks for the shoutout Dan.

I’ll be playing flag football with Rudy and (hopefully) Grodecki tonight.

Joy for sure but will she , Rudy does he need another stage the others don’t know them Eso is that the main man on HTMF ? Larry Hope no way is he not an american?

Rudy is always on the lookout for another stage.

fuck eso, vote for myers

Well, he was born in the US, but he’s been living in Rupert for as long as I can remember. I think he has Canadain citizenship by now.

So that means if we go to aMeriCa and hang out for a few years they will let us run for office, not a chance… Then who in their right mind would do that anyway?

According to the US Constitution, candidates for the US house of representatives "must be 25 years old, a citizen for at least seven years, and a resident of the state from which they are elected. " Candidates for the senate “must be 30 years old, a citizen for at least nine years, and a resident of the state from which they are elected.” That’s it.

The only office you can’t run for is President–you have to have been born in the US. Other than that, anything else is fair game.

Speaking of these candidates, and any more that havn’t been mentioned, one person needs mentioning. Especially in this environment here on hackingthemainframe, seeing as how many of the people on here would call the gentlemen one of their peers.

I know, for sure, that Mitch Myers is running for a position as councillor.
He has been planning to for some time now. And, now that the time has come, the wheel has began to roll.

If you see the kid, feel free to pick his brains, because at this point he is eager to earn supporters.
I know that Mitch has worked with near every organization and council in the city, such as youth councils, the RCMP, Human Resources, NCCADI (North Coast Asset Development Initiative), and Rotary to name some. I do not doubt his experience or his vision.

He has my vote for sure.

Sounds like a young man who is on the right path and is willing to test the waters. Having mentioned all those organizations and some impressive one, has he had any real experience on the front line of the social issues which these org. are there to serve? He does sound eager.

I wonder if he would have a name recognition problem. I know I sure as hell don’t know who he is, and that always makes me think twice about voting for someone in local elections.

Mike