Municipal Election All-Candidates Forum

Point well taken. However, if we were all to take that position, there would no longer be a need to hold regular scheduled board meetings to allow open dialogue with the dedicated public who attend. Although the School Act allows for meeting via tel-conference, it is many people’s opinion (not just mine) that face to face interaction is necessary. When the school district undertook the daunting task of closing schools, and sat through public scrutiny, Ms. Huddlestone was unavailable. While her colleagues sat through a grueling process, she should have been there as well.

Yes, I am quite aware of video conferencing and how quickly we have moved into the world of technology, but there are limits as well! I am not prepared to debate this with you, I am just sharing an opinion that has been acknowledged by several individuals in the community.

[quote=“Council Watch”]Point well taken. However, if we were all to take that position, there would no longer be a need to hold regular scheduled board meetings to allow open dialogue with the dedicated public who attend. Although the School Act allows for meeting via tel-conference, it is many people’s opinion (not just mine) that face to face interaction is necessary. When the school district undertook the daunting task of closing schools, and sat through public scrutiny, Ms. Huddlestone was unavailable. While her colleagues sat through a grueling process, she should have been there as well.

Yes, I am quite aware of video conferencing and how quickly we have moved into the world of technology, but there are limits as well! I am not prepared to debate this with you, I am just sharing an opinion that has been acknowledged by several individuals in the community.[/quote]

Considering she has already addressed the residency issue, i.e.: she actually really, really does live and work here, I would think the point is moot.

I want to yell out in anger regarding the negative posting in regards to Terri Huddlestone…
Despite many life challenges this women always shines with very deep intrigity. So what if she went to Terrace for a time, during the week for work, her work for the citizens of this community can never be questioned. We live in an age where teleconferences are very common, should she have spent work week evenings commuting or have risked our winter highways to attend meetings in person?? Her work for the community in so many regards makes her one of very few that I am proud to vote for. It is the year 2011 and economic reality dicates that many people in the community have to commute or leave all together for employment. Terri has made the choice of remaining in this community and we are so fortunate that she has.

Well said btavern.

I do want to comment on an earlier post you made though. What is this obsession wi referendums in prince Rupert? Here’s my thought, you are electing people to council to make decisions on your behalf, ergo we vote for those who share our world views and whom we trust to represent us in elected office. If we don’t trust council or any elected official to make decisions, but rather expect them to govern via referendum then let’s not have a council at all then. Let’s just run the city ourselves by popular vote. I know it takes faith which these days is in short supply, but we do need to trust these people to make decisions for us. After all, that’s why we have a city council in the first place.

[quote=“enviroguy”]Well said btavern.

I do want to comment on an earlier post you made though. What is this obsession wi referendums in prince Rupert? Here’s my thought, you are electing people to council to make decisions on your behalf, ergo we vote for those who share our world views and whom we trust to represent us in elected office. If we don’t trust council or any elected official to make decisions, but rather expect them to govern via referendum then let’s not have a council at all then. Let’s just run the city ourselves by popular vote. I know it takes faith which these days is in short supply, but we do need to trust these people to make decisions for us. After all, that’s why we have a city council in the first place.[/quote]

This is so true and I already voted on an advance poll for only the very few that I trust. Referendums are a costly waste in many cases…
Elect a council and if you are not happy change your vote next time around…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]I want to yell out in anger regarding the negative posting in regards to Terri Huddlestone…
Despite many life challenges this women always shines with very deep intrigity. So what if she went to Terrace for a time, during the week for work, her work for the citizens of this community can never be questioned. We live in an age where teleconferences are very common, should she have spent work week evenings commuting or have risked our winter highways to attend meetings in person?? Her work for the community in so many regards makes her one of very few that I am proud to vote for. It is the year 2011 and economic reality dicates that many people in the community have to commute or leave all together for employment. Terri has made the choice of remaining in this community and we are so fortunate that she has.[/quote]

Thank you for your kind words I appreciate your support.
In response to some of the other posts while I was not physically visible at the public school consultation meetings, the audience was ad vised that I was viewing the proceedings. Unfortunately due to the technology I wasn’t always able to provide a response to questions, the audience was aware that I was viewing the proceedings and could hear all comments.I heard the same heartfelt messages about reasons for keeping their school community in tact as the other trustees did. I got stopped many times by community members in the grocery store or other public places with concerns over school closure. I had numerous phone calls from parents and others voicing their concerns. My heart ached when community members spoke so passionately and with such emotion why we needed to keep their school open. It was a heartwrenching experience regardless of the way in which I participated. I was lucky to have had at least that opportunity. Mr Dressel our district IT Director took great care to ensure my participation in those meetings. I heard community presentations at board meetings and read letters as well. I voted will all good consciousness as did other board members when the decision to close schools was final. I wept tears alongside others as it was a difficult time for our community. Unfortunately the sad reality of declining enrollment necessitated such bold action from your board in order to provide new learning opportunities for our students. I will continue to defend my honour and integrity as an active board member and am saddened that the community continues to belabour this. I bore the brunt of much community criticism at that time and seems that it continues. I maintain my participation as an active board member is unwavering and that I truly have the interest of our students and our community at heart at the board table. I have been an active member in committee representation in the community this past year and provincially at the BCPSEA representative meetings and on bi-weekly district conference calls with other districts and BCPSEA. Your board has worked hard over the course of their 3 year term. Let’s focus our energy on our new vision for our district with the changes to the middle school and high school. Transitioning for all students and staff is ongoing. It is an exciting time. Let us focus on how we collectively can work together to graduate more students and to provide an exceptional learning opportunity for all of our students. Let’s work together. I am willing to commit to this. Are you? Every student matters. That is where my passion lies.

[quote=“Council Watch”]Point well taken…
Although the School Act allows for meeting via tel-conference, it is many people’s opinion (not just mine) that face to face interaction is necessary…

… I am not prepared to debate this with you, I am just sharing an opinion that has been acknowledged by several individuals in the community.[/quote]

Okay, I won’t debate that your position is based on argumentum ad populum, which is a logical fallacy.

Ms Huddlestone comes across as a well educated, articulate person whose work experience with NW College should be of great benefit to the school board. I’ve decided that I will be voting for her.

[quote=“enviroguy”]

… What is this obsession wi referendums in prince Rupert? Here’s my thought, you are electing people to council to make decisions on your behalf, ergo we vote for those who share our world views and whom we trust to represent us in elected office. If we don’t trust council or any elected official to make decisions, but rather expect them to govern via referendum then let’s not have a council at all then. Let’s just run the city ourselves by popular vote. I know it takes faith which these days is in short supply, but we do need to trust these people to make decisions for us. After all, that’s why we have a city council in the first place.[/quote]

I’m a bit surprised myself with the idea that any tax increase above inflation should go to referendum. I agree with you that the council is there to make decisions. A city run by popular vote with a council passively sitting on the sidelines would not be a well run place. They should not be passing the buck to the electors.

It’s important to keep in mind, though, that any borrowing decision (which usually results in a tax increase to pay off the debt) by law has to be approved by the electors by referendum or alternative approval process.

The mayor clearly prefers the latter, which is really a non-decision, because it puts so much onus on those who oppose the decision to organize themselves to communicate their concerns and collect enough signatures. I was glad that the outgoing council over-ruled the mayor when he wanted to borrow money and increase taxes by 12.5% without a referendum. Perhaps some candidates are reacting to the mayor’s opposition to referenda when hefty tax increases are being considered.

My point is that if there is a referendum the council members should take their case to the people. I don’t know if I’m that trusting of politicians, but I definitely expect them to take positions and stake their reputations on the outcomes, live or die by the sword as it were.

As for tax increases that are not required by law, to cover increases in operating expenses, I think that some candidates should explain why they think those decisions should also go to referendum; it is an unusual position to take. If they really think that tax increases to cover operational expenses are required they should say so and be willing to get the heave-hoe next election if they got it wrong.

I submit any future tries at the alternate approval process will fail. There are many in PR who are willing to fight this.

[quote=“DWhite”]
2. a budget process that has public input and one that includes no tax increase above the level of inflation without a referendum

1. some kind of plan that will ensure that the amenities that we have (despite our declining tax base) continue to give us pleasure (Lester Centre, library, pool etc)[/quote]

How? How do you reduce spending without reducing spending?