Multi boot in linux?

[quote=“sparky295”]I have been using linux for years and this is the first time i have not been able to stumble upon or google the fix and actually make it work !!! I am trying to multiple boot Fedora 14, Linux mint 10 (gnome),Xubuntu and mabe 1 or 2 more.
The problem i am having is absolutely NO knowlege of how to use grub or any other boot loaders for that matter.
no matter what i have tried the last distro i install is the only one i can load :frowning: .[/quote]

probably have to edit your startup, why do you want to run all those ? why not just install your os and run vmware and emulate them when need to run them ?

You need to partition your hard drive, install the different distro’s on each partition, create a grub entry for each partition, point grub to the kernel.

Obviously way over simplified because really I dont see the point in having multiple linux distributions installed simultaneously (It’s linux pick a distro you like and tweak it). It’d be a pain in the ass to maintain and is completely pointless especially given the countless FREE virtualization technologies out there.

If you want to test the distro’s installed at dom0 create a separate /home partion store all your files there and just re-install the OS to whatever distro you want and re-mount the /home partition.

For the most part that will preserve all of your gnome/kde settings as well (you may run into issues with different versions). Honestly what you want to do is an exercise in futility and has no real world purpose. I have worked with linux for years as a profession and have never had a reason to do what you are requesting.

Jason is right, for testing virtualization is what you want… what he was getting at with ‘editing your startup’ I have no idea.

[quote=“jesus”]
Jason is right, for testing virtualization is what you want… what he was getting at with ‘editing your startup’ I have no idea.[/quote]

That’s what i meant, edit the grub file for each os.

I don’t see the need to run them all on the same hard drive either, a hard drive caddy is like 12$ and sata drives are so god dam cheap these days.

Vm is best for this tho!