MP calls bill to destroy gun registry records 'stupid'

Maybe he should have stayed and voted against the registry and his party, but I don’t think Nathan has flip flopped. When the vote came up last year he voted against the registry. He kept his promise to his constituents. The party leader at the time allowed for a free vote and despite how most NDP members felt he still voted against the party.

This time, against the threat of sanction as happened to the Thunder Bay MPs, he chose to walk out. It was a tough choice, especially during a leadership campaign but his decision had no effect on the outcome of the vote so his constituents shouldn’t be angry and he still gets to represent us in parliament so his constituents shouldn’t be angry. I think he lost more support from his party by walking out then he did from his constituents.

I blame the party in this case, not Nathan.

[quote=“DWhite”]Maybe he should have stayed and voted against the registry and his party, but I don’t think Nathan has flip flopped. When the vote came up last year he voted against the registry. He kept his promise to his constituents. The party leader at the time allowed for a free vote and despite how most NDP members felt he still voted against the party.

This time, against the threat of sanction as happened to the Thunder Bay MPs, he chose to walk out. It was a tough choice, especially during a leadership campaign but his decision had no effect on the outcome of the vote so his constituents shouldn’t be angry and he still gets to represent us in parliament so his constituents shouldn’t be angry. I think he lost more support from his party by walking out then he did from his constituents.

I blame the party in this case, not Nathan.[/quote]

Well if he’s running for the leadership of the party and perhaps one day as PM of the country, shouldn’t he at least have the credibility to vote and express where he stands, seems like kind of a fail, of the leadership test if you ask me.