MP calls bill to destroy gun registry records 'stupid'

Skeena - Bulkley Valley MP and NDP leadership candidate Nathan Cullen lashed out at the bill to end the gun registry put forward by the Conservative government on Tuesday, in particular the idea of destroying the records related to it.

thenorthernview.com/news/132712418.html

What an "A.H!!!

Looks like Mr. Cullen is ready for the beach. Hope he doesn’t forget his … flip flops.

[quote=“Caine”]Looks like Mr. Cullen is ready for the beach. Hope he doesn’t forget his … flip flops.

http://i.imgur.com/2ZdJSl.jpg[/quote]

LOL, very creative I must admit… :smile:

hold it correct me if i’m wrong but when the vote came to get rid of it when the tories had a minority didn’t Nathan Cullen support getting rid of it? so why is he all of a sudden mad that the records will be destroyed when the gun registry is gone? oh wait he has to appeal to the mainstream now that he is running for the leadership, and nothing to do with being a hypocrite I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t care if he is being a hypocrite. I will support anyone who lashes out against those dysfunctional conservatives. How long until the next election?

Destroying the records is a stupid move. We paid billions to create them and there is at least one province interested in the information. It would cost next to nothing to pass the database on and let the provinces maintain it should they have a mandate from the people to do so. But like the bc liberals and the fast ferries the cons are just looking for something to harp on the liberals for the next 50 years

Hypocrite

the day after the bill passes the data will be worthless

Exactly. Why destroy something that was purchased with tax payer dollars? Keep the data base and let interested groups continue to use it.

Nathan Cullen being a hypocrite? Flip-flopping on a campaign promise? What? No…

I was a full supporter of Nathan before the debacle of metering the internet. I will vote NDP in the Federal election in 2015. However, I think that someone else should be the new leader of the NDP(Topp looks good, and he has Broadbent’s support). Nathan has credibility issues and he is not strong enough to continue Jack’s momentum in my opinion.

[quote=“hitest”]

Exactly. Why destroy something that was purchased with tax payer dollars? Keep the data base and let interested groups continue to use it.[/quote]

True, the information was gathered with tax dollars. For those who registered their firearms, how about this perspective. How can a database be anything but prejudicial (in terms of
it’s completeness ) when the collection of data is due to end in mid stream. The people who have participated in the registry seem to be at a bit of a disadvantage when information that was once required by the government is no longer required.
It would be interesting to see what good has become of the registry. I mean, have criminals been prosecuted? Have Canadian Cities been made safer because of it?

I say burn the records, The farmers and rural citizens of Canada don’t need the hassle of knowing that their Registry info is out there in la la land when the program has been scrapped.

To hell with the stupid registry it isn’t even important.
Harper just sucked up to Quebec again and gave them one of our new seats! Stole a fistful from Ontario too, but they’re used to appeasement and bought off Alberta criticism by giving them one more than expected.
Representation is way more important than the gun registry, and here we go with the same old same old. And think of how this appears in Quebec, the NDP just flapped their gums about it once and presto! they get 3 seats they didn’t deserve. They won’t be thanking Harper.
BC gets 6 instead of 7
Alta gets 6 instead of 5
Quebec gets 3 and remains overrepresented
Ontario 15 instead of 18.

What’s he gonna say about that? That I’d like to hear.
BTW Adrian Dix says BC would need 9 new seats to get to the level Quebec used to have.

[quote=“hitest”]

Exactly. Why destroy something that was purchased with tax payer dollars? Keep the data base and let interested groups continue to use it.[/quote]

If there is no more long-gun registry, keeping what will then become out-dated records is ridiculous. The registry is dead — there will be no-one to keep the records current.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]To hell with the stupid registry it isn’t even important.
Harper just sucked up to Quebec again and gave them one of our new seats! Stole a fistful from Ontario too, but they’re used to appeasement and bought off Alberta criticism by giving them one more than expected.
Representation is way more important than the gun registry, and here we go with the same old same old. And think of how this appears in Quebec, the NDP just flapped their gums about it once and presto! they get 3 seats they didn’t deserve. They won’t be thanking Harper.
BC gets 6 instead of 7
Alta gets 6 instead of 5
Quebec gets 3 and remains overrepresented
Ontario 15 instead of 18.

What’s he gonna say about that? That I’d like to hear.
BTW Adrian Dix says BC would need 9 new seats to get to the level Quebec used to have.[/quote]

Actually I think by giving Quebec three seats, the Conservatives have provided for them about 23 percent of the representation in Parliament, commensurate with their population ratio in the country, nothing more, nothing less. I do agree however that it won’t probably result in any great salute of thanks from the folks there.

theglobeandmail.com/news/pol … le2215722/

Your point about the NDP is valid though, there seems to be a growing chasm between the eastern portion of the party (where they recently found such wild success) and the more established long time supporters in the West. Adrian Dix might want to have a chat with his federal counterparts to remind there where their base has been in the past (and my guess will be once again, once the NDP support wanes in Quebec)

Either way it’s probably a win for the Conservatives (and the Liberals who are sure to benefit from the turf war in the NDP these days)

POINT BEING that seats are supposed to be distributed according to population, and throwing some of them to Quebec skews the count for us and Ontario even more.
About a year ago they pointed out the combined population of BC & Alberta exceeded that of Quebec. Did all the immigrants in the last couple years go to Quebec to come up with the figures they’re tossing around?

BC 4, 602, 748 36 +6 42 numbers from stats can population clock July 1, 2011
AB 3,771, 837 28+6 34
8,374,595 76
QC 7,987,981 75 +3 78

Nathan Cullen proves he can run in flip flops.

… Nathan Cullen, who is a candidate for the NDP leadership, left the house before the vote.

http://i.imgur.com/Muh8g.png

Great visual.

For the most part I am an NDP supporter. As a city guy, I didn’t see a big problem with the registry. But when Nathan voted against it and I heard his reasons for doing so, I understood his position and had no problem with how he voted.

But, now I am confused. During a minority government when the issue arose and the fate of the bill actually was in question, Nathan and a handful of NDPers were allowed to vote against their party without punishment. Jack Layton unlike the Liberals and Conservatives allowed for a free vote, one where members could vote with their constituents’ wishes or their own conscience rather than toeing the party line.

Now when the fate of the bill is not in question, they are not allowed to do the same. I understand the concept of a party sticking together on some fundamental issues. But I don’t think the long gun registry falls into this category.

Sounds like Cullen wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Makes a promise to vote against gun registry. Then realizes most NDP members are in favour of gun registry, all of a sudden wants to keep gun registry. Vote comes up in the house, he runs away on his flip-flops.

Tough choice. Piss off your constituents or piss of the NDP.