Moving to Prince Rupert

My family and I will be moving to Prince Rupert in the coming months. We have never been to your beautiful city before, nor are we familiar with it. I have been looking into as much as I can to possibly prepare myself as best as I can, but am seeking advice and information. We will not be able to travel there before hand, so suggestions on neighborhoods suitable for a family with pre school children with you know pros and cons (take into consideration we will be buying). Things about your city, what’s good, what’s not, what there is to do, shopping family activities ect. Thanks in advance.

What area are you moving from? Curious to compare housing prices and maybe some things Rupert may have that is similar.
Decent house in a good area is slightly above 200K.

[quote=“chookie”]What area are you moving from? Curious to compare housing prices and maybe some things Rupert may have that is similar.
Decent house in a good area is slightly above 200K.[/quote]

Seriously? wow…

I havent been to rupert in a while but the west side of town is generally nicer with a few exceptions. if there is an apartment block nearby you might want to stay away. google maps is your friend, streetview will help you decide.

[quote=“chookie”]What area are you moving from? Curious to compare housing prices and maybe some things Rupert may have that is similar.
Decent house in a good area is slightly above 200K.[/quote]

try 300K

We are moving from Kelowna, born and raised so it will be a bit of a shock I’m sure. Housing prices are huge difference and part of why we are moving, it is unaffordable to live here as a growing young family, and as well we want a small town, close community for our kids to grow up in. We are looking for $300,000 - 400,000 for a house. I have googled as much as I can but it so hard never being visited. Areas that kind of stood out were the westview (alpine street to be exact) and there was a place on overlook (not sure what neighbourhood that is) because omg the harbour views are to die for.

We are moving from Kelowna, born and raised so it will be a bit of a shock I’m sure. Housing prices are huge difference and part of why we are moving, it is unaffordable to live here as a growing young family, and as well we want a small town, close community for our kids to grow up in. We are looking for $300,000 - 400,000 for a house. I have googled as much as I can but it so hard never being visited. Areas that kind of stood out were the westview (alpine street to be exact) and there was a place on overlook (not sure what neighbourhood that is) because omg the harbour views are to die for.

try 300K

Come on, considering the majority of people in Rupert live in homes worth around $150,000 or less, I think $300,000 is a bit steep for a “decent” home here, unless you are aspiring to live in certain neighborhoods that offer the exact same amenities as others. I’m not going to bash one side of town over the other, both sides of town have bad pockets.

150K realtor.ca/propertyDetails.a … -168966628

200K realtor.ca/propertyDetails.a … 1272646105

300K realtor.ca/propertyDetails.a … =151920200

I would say spending around 250K-315K

I would not but a house for 150K in this town, as it would be a POS. Some people like them though.

Your Real Estate agent will be able to give you all the dirt. With your price range you will be able to purchase in any neighborhood in Prince Rupert. All but the top 1 or 2 percent of the houses in Prince Rupert will be in your price range. Enjoy Prince Rupert’s sunshine discount!

I would suggest looking into Hays Creek Estate’s subdivision on Edward Avenue. This is Prince Rupert’s newest subdivision and there are 4 houses built in the cul-de-sac that are brand new, big and modern and waiting for an owner.

Expect to pay 400K in that area though.

Come on, considering the majority of people in Rupert live in homes worth around $150,000 or less, I think $300,000 is a bit steep for a “decent” home here, unless you are aspiring to live in certain neighborhoods that offer the exact same amenities as others. I’m not going to bash one side of town over the other, both sides of town have bad pockets.

look at the market NOW…things have changed

[quote=“bthedog”]I would suggest looking into Hays Creek Estate’s subdivision on Edward Avenue. This is Prince Rupert’s newest subdivision and there are 4 houses built in the cul-de-sac that are brand new, big and modern and waiting for an owner.

Expect to pay 400K in that area though.[/quote]

You must be getting a commission, to be recommending that section!

Regardless, I’m sure our original poster will soon be inundated with opportunities from realtors once they read the post.

Moving from Kelowna eh? Prince Rupert is a great town to live In. You can be anyware in 5 min or less. I mention this only because of where you are from. Kelowna gets lots of sun, Rupert gets lots of liquid sun.

if you are on facebook i suggest searching for prince rupert sites there is numerous ones for garage sales theres a homes for sale one . theres a prince rupert community one also. alpine is a good area . overlook you get a view but horrible road to drive on . its on a steep cliff and outdated houses. edward ave yes they are brand new houses but poorly landscaped and priced high i think. for your price range i would look in silversides , graham ave , alpine , atlin area

If you want a nice home in Rupert, you will need to pay a good price and the Edward St. sub is nice. PR is such a shock from Kelowna, pretty scenery, sure but be prepared for the isolation and the rain, hard to deal with. Nearest town is Terrace, they offer more in the way of shopping than we do, still a small town and almost 120 miles away with nothing in between. Some say PR is cliquish, I think a little and there is not a lot of things to do unless you like sports and walking the trails. Many of those are no longer walkable due to the lack of maintenance. We have a lot of social issues as does any place, drugs etc, and we are a worn down town, we have been hoping for a boom for almost 10 years ! You will either like it or hate it, depending on what yo are looking for. Would I move here if I had the option? No, the isolation and the cost to take a vacation from here is too high and I like to have more things to do. I wish you the best of luck and hope you are moving here with a job waiting for you as there are not many well paying ones here, unless you know someone.

Do you have an email? I can email you some honest advice and opinions :smiley:

[quote=“CharlesMHays”]

[quote=“bthedog”]I would suggest looking into Hays Creek Estate’s subdivision on Edward Avenue. This is Prince Rupert’s newest subdivision and there are 4 houses built in the cul-de-sac that are brand new, big and modern and waiting for an owner.

Expect to pay 400K in that area though.[/quote]

You must be getting a commission, to be recommending that section!

Regardless, I’m sure our original poster will soon be inundated with opportunities from realtors once they read the post.[/quote]

Why would I NOT recommend that sub-division? It is a nice cul-de-sac in a nice area, with a green belt behind, with the newest homes in city…what is NOT to like?

Are they pricey - yes, but the OP said they are looking to spend 300K-400K, so this subdivision FITS with what they want.

And NO I am not getting a commission and I would always recommend that subdivision over many other places in the city TBH.

I think they are receiving honest advice and information on this site. Rupert is not for everybody and it is too bad they were unable to visit before they relocate but having said that, when I moved here from Westbank 13 years ago, I hadn’t had that opportunity either, it was sunny and beautiful and I thought what a great place ! I was then hit with almost 3 weeks of non-stop rain, didn’t know anyone and then began to realize what I was missing. I volunteer, I have since retired from my job of 12 years and am facing the big decision of possibly leaving my friends and moving on. Rupert is fine if you can afford to get out of town often, even if just to Terrace for wonderful weather (they have 4 seasons there !) and shopping. I miss the little things like farmers’ markets (Terrace has a nice one from May thru Nov.)and flea markets as I refinish furniture and there aren’t any places to purchase old and used stuff to do that. Rupert is also known for its’ rumor mill, they don’t coin us Prince Rumors for nothing ! Rupert is a beautiful place, the scenery changes daily but if you are not happy here, the beauty of that scenery soon wears thin. Many are mentioning the Edward St. subdivision which is up the street from me and it is a beautiful, quiet area, the homes are very nice. Mike Morse and Keith Lambourne are excellent realtors here, they work very hard for their clients. I always loved the Atlin/Graham Ave. area but now residents are complaining about the noise from the trains and the future pellet silos that are in construction now that will apparently take away the views. We are missing a great deal here, activities that are not fishing or sports related for example and shopping. Our main street is occupied with empty stores and many derelict buildings. I wonder would I miss Rupert if I left but I recently spent 6 weeks in Ontario, my home province, and found I felt better healthwise and less uptight and moody. If you have any arthritis related issues, the rainy damp coast is not your friend ! Stock up on vitamin D before you arrive and the best of luck to you ! Keep us posted when you have time and are settling in !

great post, totally agree.

Although moving twice is a bummer, I would never buy in a new city without having lived in it for 6 to 12 months. Everyone’s family dynamics is different and it would be difficult to recommend a certain area of town to a new-comer. You may buy a house right now, decide 2 months down the road that this place is not for you and then be stuck with a house to sell. Depending where you buy, resale can be slow. Welcome to the 'hood, whenever you get here and good luck with the house hunting.