Moving to PR

Hi. We have decided to move to PR from Vancouver.

Im a first time home buyer so any advice from people more knowledgeable would be welcome.
From what Ive gathered there’s some big places priced very low (less than 100k) but they need lots of work or just need to be torn down basically.
100k-160k are mostly tiny places, in better condition I guess? but some still say they need work.
Then from there it’s pretty much getting out of my price range. Any advice of what I should be looking for? Im almost tempted to buy one of the really cheap places and try to fix it up but then I might be way in over my head.

How much property tax do you pay in PR?

I was trying to figure out where exactly the pellet terminal is, I’m assuming it’s on the north side of the city? It doesnt seem to have an address. Is living close to it that bad?

Thanks for any advice and comment.

I don’t know why on earth anyone would move there all it does is rain, property taxes range from about $1000 to $ 3500 a year and you won’t find anything not rotten or very small ( small yards) for under $150,000

I dont mind rain - keeps the air fresh atleast. But ya, buying a rotten place is definitely something I need to avoid.

Down here 100k will get you a tiny apartment, 45 mins away from Vancouver (by car) with a huge strata fee. Not to mention the fact that I have 2 dogs, a cat and a baby. Options are somewhat limited.

Hello,

You’re moving to our community at a very good time in our history as buying a home is affordable and the future is very bright with development and employment prospects. As you can see by the previous poster, there are many who have become negative about the weather and the community as a hole, which is fair to a certain extent as we can get lots of rain and many have has to endure years of high taxes, reduced employment and services. There is another portion of our population though that loves this area of the world immensely and enjoy our mild climate. There’s very little snow to shovel, you can be anywhere within 5 minutes (which I’m sure you’ll appreciate moving from the lower mainland) and the natural beauty is wonderful. I’ve been here for 50 years and will never leave. I have no doubt that you can get a decent home within your budget and can stand to do well as property values should rise with development. It’s a good time to invest personally and professionally in Prince Rupert. Welcome to town!

I love Rupert - I came for 1 year and have been here for almost 30. Just be careful when you buy and take a really good look at the neighborhood - although as a previous poster said everything is close.

As for the pellet plant - I don’t know about dust and so forth living near it, but some unfortunate people saw their property value and view head to the dumpster because the silos are like a big aluminum wall in front of their homes now.

You can view it from around Water St., Beach Pl and end of Atlin Ave area.

KJW,

Welcome to our forum. :smile:
As mentioned we do get a lot of rain and house taxes are high compared to other areas. However, there are indicators that our economy may soon be making a comeback.

One of the plus side about Prince Rupert that it is not Prince George.

welcome to Rupert , taxes are higher here then Vancouver, here the mill rate is about 1.3 about triple what Vancouver has, make sure you hire a good home inspector for it does rain alot up here and you never know what condition a unkept house might be like. The pellet plant is on the west side of the city along the waterfront. if want to google prince rupert on google earth look for graham avenue and atlin avenue that is where the pellet plant is

Remember what the Realtor says, “location, location, location.” I have lived here in PR almost 50 years and finally got to a location I enjoy. It made all the difference in trying to put up with the rain and taxes that some people bring up on this forum.

So, choose a purchase wisely.

I was thinking of moving there too until I started reading about the bad air quality.
Is it difficult to find work in Rupert at the moment?

Thanks for all the comments.

PG = Surrey in compact form

Yeah, air quality is horrible.

If you’re looking for a decent paying skilled labour job or a specific trades position, you will be out of luck.

Some recently posted jobs:

ca.jobrapido.com/?w=&l=prince+ru … 9#Result_2

the jobs are here depending on what you want to do and what your qualifications are

Welcome to PR. It is a friendlier small town than most and that is what most people miss when they leave. After living in many places in PR in the last 25 years, I would say make sure you find a place that has light. Don’t get a place that is seriously shaded on the ocean side of the lot even if there is no view, it really cuts into daylight hours at the end of the day, especially in the summer.
There tends to be a lot of police activity on 6th-8th Ave East between McBride and Roosevelt School.

[quote=“stillhere”]Welcome to PR. It is a friendlier small town than most and that is what most people miss when they leave. After living in many places in PR in the last 25 years, I would say make sure you find a place that has light. Don’t get a place that is seriously shaded on the ocean side of the lot even if there is no view, it really cuts into daylight hours at the end of the day, especially in the summer.
There tends to be a lot of police activity on 6th-8th Ave East between McBride and Roosevelt School.[/quote]

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with this, but did you mean “West” since between McBride and Roosevelt School are on the West side?