Move to Nanaimo? Advice on areas of town, please!

Hi everyone ! We have recently been thinking of moving down to Nanaimo but don’t know the city, I have only travelled through. Checking out the rentals, seems to be you get more for your buck there and more pet friendly rentals also. Anyone have any advice on the area, what areas may be best etc. Would appreciate your input ! Thank you !

Pretty much anywhere but IN nanaimo… unless you like junkies and crack heads then live in Nanaimo otherwise pick one of the surrounding communities like parksville or errington or nanoose bay. They are all within a reasonable travel distance by car and you wont have to deal with hookers or crack heads.

I lived in Nanaimo for many years and as long as you stay away from Harewood and the South Side of town, all is good.

Great city, we live nearby. Agreed that downtown and the area south along the old highway are not the greatest but west of VIU and the Parkway seem to be pretty good. Parksville is nice and lots of amenities but you will find yourself driving into Nanaimo to do shopping for the bigger items or clothes.

Nanaimo has lots of great parks, a beautiful waterfront and easy access to the Pacific Rim National Park, Victoria and many delightful seaside communities up and down the island, the lower mainland is at convenient arms-length for anything you can’t find here on the island but outside of the occasional concert or weekend away, we find we rarely leave here!

It really depends on your budget. Parts of the old city have undergone an improvement in the last few years, and Departure Bay northwards is all pretty nice. As with any town, there are pockets to avoid, but the biggest would be Harewood and Downtown-South. The transit system is pretty bad here, since it is not very populous for the area covered - also not a very pedestrian or bike friendly town. You pretty much NEED a car here. I’ve lived in Nanaimo since I left Rupert 15 years ago.

Thank you so much for your input everyone, greatly appreciated ! We will have to make the trip down and check things out in the spring. Have been thinking about Parksville also. We’re retired now so looking for work is a non-issue. Any thoughts on Parksville? Just looking for a simple way of life, we love nature, photography etc. Not into the bar scene, just a place not as isolated as here to “chill” !

If I had to choose between Nanaimo and Parksville I would opt for Parksville. Courtney is also very nice.

Parksville is definitely quieter. Between there and Qualicum Beach you have two popular spots for seniors who like to be outdoors, garden and enjoy walks around the area

Know a guy from Qualicum. He said there and Parksville are full of old people and cars with veteran plates on them, so it must be good for retirees.

I prefer Qualicum because of the beach.

[quote=“PLA”]

You do realize that Parksville also has a beautiful and large beach as well right? Rathtrevor Beach.[/quote]

Obviously Parksville didn’t get my undivided attention, and for that I apologise.

Now lay down that pitchfork will ya?

[quote=“PLA”]Obviously Parksville didn’t get my undivided attention, and for that I apologise.

Now lay down that pitchfork will ya?[/quote]

Okay I will put out the torch and lay down the pitchfork :smile:.
Will mention I don’t live there, just sayin"

[quote=“PLA”]Obviously Parksville didn’t get my undivided attention, and for that I apologise.

[quote=“G-spot”]

Okay I will put out the torch and lay down the pitchfork :smile:.
Will mention I don’t live there, just sayin"[/quote]

Or was there in spirit.

Well, this thread has turned into something a bit off topic so I thank everyone for their advice ! Nanaimo may be out and Parksville a possibility if we can find a pet friendly rental !