Moose / Van collision

Woah… This is the e-mail forward of the day! (thanks Ellen!)

survivors? looks like just outside of PG?

I hope the occupants are OK. Poor moose! How the hell could that happen anyway?

If that is near PG, there’s no front license plate (doesn’t look like it was ripped off either) so it’s likely registered in Alberta.

These pics have been circulating for at least a month or so now.

I wonder if they had to finish off the moose with the axe that’s on the front seat?

[quote=“Politically Incorrect”]
I wonder if they had to finish off the moose with the axe that’s on the front seat?[/quote]

That would be inhumane. I’m sure there was an officer on the scene if they had to. Missing a leg, probably bled to death. If they did finish it off with an axe - I would suspect (suggest) charges be laid.

Suggest charges be laid ? What the hell the moose has rights , its on his land and it is free to roam . I agree that someone should be charged for haing an axe that size on them, Them suckers can sure make a mess out of ones car though.

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]

I wonder if they had to finish off the moose with the axe that’s on the front seat?[/quote]

That would be inhumane. I’m sure there was an officer on the scene if they had to. Missing a leg, probably bled to death. If they did finish it off with an axe - I would suspect (suggest) charges be laid.[/quote]

yes because having a live moose in your van flailing and kicking while you wait for a cop to show up to shoot it is a great idea.

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]

That would be inhumane. I’m sure there was an officer on the scene if they had to. Missing a leg, probably bled to death. If they did finish it off with an axe - I would suspect (suggest) charges be laid.[/quote]

Charges be laid for what?

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]

And officer to shoot 12 times like they did to the beer up at the end of Atlin?
One quick what to the head would put him out of his misery very quickly. How do you think cattle were traditionally killed?

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]

That would be inhumane. I’m sure there was an officer on the scene if they had to. Missing a leg, probably bled to death. If they did finish it off with an axe - I would suspect (suggest) charges be laid.

One quick what to the head would put him out of his misery very quickly. How do you think cattle were traditionally killed?[/quote]

Haha, you just said the officer took 12 shots of beer.

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]

That would be inhumane.

One quick what to the head would put him out of his misery very quickly. How do you think cattle were traditionally killed?[/quote]

Why do you think they banned and changed that practice?

Did the photos get removed? They showed up earlier but now they are just blank with the red x?

They changed the practice because now they use a Captive bolt pistol (as used in No Country for Old Men)which is faster and more reliable. (Your arms would get tired if you had to kill a couple of hundred cattle a day). I’m not sure if there is any legality to using the old fashioned way. I’m sure mom and pop farms do, although they might just use a .22 behind the ear.
You use the tools at hand to get the job done. If I had a moose thrashing around in the back of my car, I’d use a rock if I had too. It’s not ideal, but if it’s thrashing around, and help is an hour away, and someone is strapped into the back seat injured, or even just to put him out of his misery, I’d do it.

And as for the beer in the earlier post, I was also subliminally thinking of the “Drunk Driving Laws Post” and getting thirsty.

Photos are still showing up for me.

Are you serious about charges being laid ? Would have no chance for charges

So, someone goes camping, and brings an axe with them, they get into an accident with a moose and get charged for having the axe in the van? Sounds kind of stupid. Actually no. That sounds really stupid… Sorry Justin…

So, someone goes camping, and brings an axe with them, they get into an accident with a moose and get charged for having the axe in the van? Sounds kind of stupid. Actually no. That sounds really stupid… Sorry Justin…

Well Buba if you really believe that I meant that about the axe , So have you ever heard about the piece of land I have for sale in Florida which I want to sell you ?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

So, someone goes camping, and brings an axe with them, they get into an accident with a moose and get charged for having the axe in the van? Sounds kind of stupid. Actually no. That sounds really stupid… Sorry Justin…[/quote]

I think Bubba that this is all dating back to the post that “meepmeepzoom” posted regarding charges being laid if someone had killed the moose with an axe which I believe would be cause for animal cruelty by definition not that they would be charged with having an axe in their vehicle camping. That is a little different I would say !

I missed the part about were there survivors?

That would be inhumane.

One quick what to the head would put him out of his misery very quickly. How do you think cattle were traditionally killed?

Why do you think they banned and changed that practice?

Sections 79 and 80 of the Meat Inspection Regulations:

1. Every food animal that is slaughtered shall, before being bled,
    (a) be rendered unconscious in a manner that ensures that it does not regain consciousness before death, by one of the following methods:
    (i) by delivering a blow to the head by means of a penetrating or non-penetrating mechanical device in a manner that causes immediate loss of consciousness,
    (ii) by exposure to a gas or a gas mixture in a manner that causes a rapid loss of consciousness, or
    (iii) by the application of an electrical current in a manner that causes immediate loss of consciousness; or
    (b) be killed by one of the methods set out in paragraph (a) or, in the case of a bird or a domesticated rabbit, by rapid decapitation.
    SOR/93-160, s. 9; SOR/99-369, s. 4.

2. No equipment or instrument for restraining, slaughtering or rendering unconscious any food animal shall be used by any person for those purposes
    (a) unless the person is, by reason of the person’s competence and physical condition, able to do so without subjecting the animal to avoidable distress or avoidable pain; or
    (b) where the condition of the equipment or instrument or the manner in which or the circumstances under which the equipment or instrument is used might subject the animal to avoidable distress or avoidable pain.

So, the device used to render the animal unconscious could be a bullet, a captive bolt, a hammer, an electrical stunner, an electrified water bath, a gas chamber…or just off with their head. Kinda nasty.