Microsoft ends support for XP Today

Starting today Windows XP will no longer receive free security updates from Microsoft. If you have not done so I think it is a good idea to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8.x.

Buy a new computer. If you’re still running XP your system isn’t worth $120 to upgrade.
Spent the weekend rebuilding something out of the recycle bin for a guy who’s business needed XP to run LotusWorks 1.0 from 1989. Do you want to be that guy?

…or you could be one of my clients:

4 years ago Hey, xp is expiring in 4 years we really should be planning to move your infrastructure over to a new version of windows in the next couple of years.

2 years ago… we have to do that migration next year I really dont want to be behind the 8 ball doing this at the last minute.

Last year… We really should order those servers.

2 months ago… order those servers things will stop working with xp soon after it expires.

Last month… well you know I’ve been telling you for 4 years this has been coming. You should have budgeted the 8k I told you to budget 4 years ago and planned for the migration, of course your software isnt going to work for very long after the support date. No there isnt anything I can do to keep it working if they provide the updates for XP.

Them today: Ok we will order the servers today. (they still havent been ordered).

I’m almost willing to risk the old desktop and keep it on XP. Couldn’t be much worse than my laptop that runs vista.

If youre somewhat technically inclined and dont need a specific windows app or want to extend the life of an older computer just install linux. Especially if you just need it for browsing. My client i am whining about is doing that with all their workstations and moving to a terminal server to host their windows only apps.

The older staff in their 60s are confident enough to use linux for basic office browsing and email needs so it shouldnt be a huge learning curve.

edit:

oh hey… they ordered the servers. Now we just need for the vlk.

Agreed.

I wouldn’t. You are putting yourself at risk if your system is not patched when future security issues arise.

Agreed. There are several very user friendly versions of Linux that are easy to install: Mint, openSUSE, and Xubuntu.

Say a guy was to buy a copy of windows server, windows cals, and rds cals from a US retailer… would they work in canada? they have the same product number in both canada and the US. I could see them region locking the keys…

[quote=“hitest”]

I wouldn’t. You are putting yourself at risk if your system is not patched when future security issues arise.[/quote]

Wouldn’t AVG or malware bytes protect you to the same extent. Keep in mind that I’m extremely cheap and the comp is pretty much done. I just have some old games I still play occasionally and they don’t run well on anything newer.

Or maybe I can download that bootleg of win7 from Bulgaria I found. :smile:

[quote=“rinkster”]

I wouldn’t. You are putting yourself at risk if your system is not patched when future security issues arise.

Wouldn’t AVG or malware bytes protect you to the same extent. Keep in mind that I’m extremely cheap and the comp is pretty much done. I just have some old games I still play occasionally and they don’t run well on anything newer.

Or maybe I can download that bootleg of win7 from Bulgaria I found. :smile:[/quote]

Well ignoring the fact updated anti virus software will not work for much longer if its not already done you still have the problem with operating system holes not being patched. You might be able to detect an infection after its taken place and remove it but since the hole wont be patched it will just happen again and again. That said you can still isolate and protect your machine and it will be fine.

Why risk your computer with XP when you can come to the Fort with a pickup truck and I’ll fill it with reconditioned XP machines.
I was gonna hold a contest giveaway, rule is if you don’t pick it up in 24 hours if you win, you have to pick up TWO…