Metlakatla hiking trail

I really don’t mind $25 for adults but a lesser rate for children and teenagers would make it more accessible for families. After spending all that money building it you would think it would be made very accesable for all to enjoy, at least once.

I will explain it slower and louder, THE FEE IS DESIGNED TO HELP LIMIT THE NUMBER OF RANDOM PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY AND TO GO TOWARDS A TRAIL EMPLOYEE, THE TRAIL WAS INTENDED TO ATTRACT THE TYPE OF PERSON(IE: TOURIST) WILLING TO PAY FOR A WILDERNESS AND CULTURAL EXPERIENCE.
There does need to be a lot of the details worked out, and IMO there is no comparison to any of the free hiking trails and what is offered on the new trail.

Wasn’t this built with grants ie: our tax money To be used mainly by tourists, what a waste of our money! I think it needs to be accesable to all who wish to see it for it to really be a success , I would think that anyone who made the effort to get there would be respectful of the rules etc. It seems to be the more well off teenagers that do damage to these kinds of places, kids that have boats, or trucks to drive up mountains and burn down gondolas etc. There also needs to be a scheduled ferry on the weekends so outings can be planned ahead of time, presently they only go if there is enough people.

Wow, before everyone criticizes this trail, you should actually get off this forum and WALK it for yourselves! It is a 20 km wilderness hike, very different from “the rushbrook trail” or “ferry island” or even Butze for that matter. Eventually it could be similar to the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island which attracts thousands of Adventure travellers a year. The fee of $25 or $50 for the year for residents is not absurd. People will easily spend this amount on a case of beer. C’mon people lets not trash a NEW, good thing in our community and NO I do not work for Metlakatla and I don’t have a lot of money to throw around, BUT I have walked the trail and it is world class.

The point here is that its $25.00 per person regardless of age to walk a trail each time not a onetime fee or season pass. it may be 20 Km but you need to do it with in the time limit, that’s 40 Km in one day as you can’t camp. I’m sure the trail is awesome but I will not be able to finish the trail with 3 little ones who go with us on our adventures and hikes.
So your telling me the 125.00 I will spend to walk a few KM is worth it? like I said a I can and will continue go to Ferry Island for the weekend and have 48 Hrs of family fun for the same amount or less, I can take a boat or a kayak and explore the many islands and beaches that are right in our harbour for free, I want to pay a fair price and not something as expensive as this is.

This trail is not for everyone and yes I agree the fee should be cheaper for teens and children. However, it is difficult to “police” a family pass as some people may take advantage of this and say their cousins, nephews and nieces are all part of the same family. Also this trail is
10 kilometers one way for a total of 20 km return. If I had three young children I wouldn’t be taking them on this trail.