Methane extraction debate comes to council chambers

The controversy over Shell Canada’s plans to extract methane gas from the sacred headwates of the Skeena Nass and Stikine rivers has been introduced to Prince Rupert City Council.

The Prince Rupert Environmental Society took their case against development to council on Monday night, bringing forward a resolution to have Shell suspend it’s plans until more data has been provided to show that it’s an environmentally sound process.

The same resolution was recently passed by Skeena Queen Charlotte Regional District and has also been approved by a number of other communities in the province…

( from  the blog a town called podunk,  click on the link below to see the entire article atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … 2419976111 )-

City Council has chosen to sit on the fence on this one.  After all, Herb and his fellow Liberal Council won’t go against Gordon Campbell…

Well in the spirit of accurate disclosure, they aren’t exactly sitting on the fence, just yet anyways…

The plan apparently is to discuss the resolution  at a future meeting or hold a special meeting of council to address the issue, we’ll see if there are any fence splinters by the end of July I guess…

From the council minutes of June 23

MOVED by Councillor Thorkelson, seconded by Councillor Briglio that council endorse the resolution concerning coalbed methane Development in British Columbia’s Sacred Headwaters and that copies of the resolution be forwarded to NCMA and UBCM.

MOVED by Councillor Gordon-Payne, seconded by Councillor Thorkelson that a decision on Council’s endorsement of the coalbed methane development be deferred to the next meeting of Council, or to a special meeting of Council if necessary due to time restraints.

CARRIED

If I had to make an honest guess on this one, I would be comfortable to say that Councillor Thorkelson’s motion gets defeated…