McBride getting traffic lights

Looks like the Ministry of Transportation is going to install a new traffic light at McBride & 9th Avenue West/East…should be installed by the end of the summer.

princerupert.ca/images/edito … Agenda.pdf (page 81)

Well, I sure hope the “Ministry of Transportation” fixes the eastbound light at the intersection of 3rd & McBride at the same time, if not sooner. During the later evenings, if there is not a vehicle WEST bound from cow bay to the intersection to trigger the light, that EAST bound vehicle has to get out of the car and push the button. I’ve seen this so many times over the past 3 weeks. About a week ago, I heard a complaint over the scanner of this very thing, and the police member attended, and obviously a car came out of cow bay and triggered the light, so the cop says “the light works fine”. Yeah, well, trying sitting there without a car coming up from cow bay and see how long you sit there. The Eastbound trigger is definitely el-caput!!

Why is this necessary when there is a walkway under the bridge? I think not allowing left hand turns from 8th and 9th onto McBride might be sufficient, if the kids would use the underpass built for their purpose.

Agreed. That is a real safety hazard for all concerned if drivers run out of their vehicle to press the cross walk button. We were stuck there for quite some time.

That should be interesting coming that hill at a good speed and some asshole with a text whatever decides to read their message or whatever they do with them . Good result into a bad one . Why not put it up by the cop shop ? I think that is fairly busy around there .

[quote=“Justin Case”]That should be interesting coming that hill at a good speed and some asshole with a text whatever decides to read their message or whatever they do with them . Good result into a bad one . Why not put it up by the cop shop ? I think that is fairly busy area.

They want it there because many kids cross during the school year. Too many times you see pedestrians trying to cross there and vehicles don’t stop to let them cross. This way vehicles have to stop. If someone is so stupid to be texting or distracted by other things, they are an accident waiting to happen regardless if there’s a traffic light or not.[/quote]

yeah I agree while 6th makes good sense, down the hill with a traffic light at 9th is best… can almost see having lights at both places.

I don’t think you need one on 6th, when you can walk up a block up to the one on 5th.

Why cant they put their money to good use and fix the lights by city hall? Too many times i am coming down Fulton st and i have to wait for the invisible cars to go through the intersection of fulton and third

That light set is city owned, the ones on Mcbride and 3rd belong to the ministry of transportation and are maintained by westcana electric.

I do realize the separation of ownership. That not withstanding. I am getting tired of getting stuck at those lights

McBride is a highway, build an overpass for the pedestrians, don’t screw around with the traffic flow

At least it works. Just count down from 10 and the light will turn green.

[quote=“PLA”]

At least it works. Just count down from 10 and the light will turn green.[/quote]

By reading your post I’m guessing you probably never got stuck there. Because the wait is more then 10 seconds

[quote=“PLA”]

At least it works. Just count down from 10 and the light will turn green.[/quote]

By reading your post I’m guessing you probably never got stuck there. Because the wait is more then 10 seconds

20 seconds then.

yep…got stuck there the other week…3 of us cars finally went through and the light never changed…so definitely more than a 30 second wait.

Or could be a lack of patience.

No. When it was faulty the wait was a minute or longer.

I must be lucky then.