Mayor's latest attack ad

Current Mayor Jack Mussallem has upped the rhetoric yet again with his latest ad buy with allegations that all mayoralty candidates but him lack experience.

A screen shot of the ad and commentary can be found in this North Coast Review article: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … ience.html >.

“No other mayoral candidate has ever been mayor.” Yes, we are aware of that, Jack, and once upon a time, in case you’ve forgotten, you had never been a mayor either. That seems so long ago.

Obviously directed at Lee Brain: "One mayoral candidate has never been elected to council’. Hardly breathtaking news, but again Jack, in case you have forgotten, you too had never been elected to council before being elected mayor.

“Can our city at this time, withstand the delay while one of them learns”. That’s a loaded question, of course, and “one of them” obviously includes Sheila Gordon-Payne and Tony Briglio. Actually, Jack, if elected Sheila or Tony would bring more council experience than you had when you were elected in 1993 and even when you were elected again in 2008.

Time for a change. Time for a fresh look at things. Negotiating in private is fine, but there is no need to be incorporating a company, transferring City land, and approving a deal with an energy company behind closed doors. That’s not good government.

Too funny.
Even Mussallem is having a having a hard time finding anything positive to say about himself when experience, something that is not a virtue or laudable quality, but simply acquired by having existed in a position for a period of time, is all that he stands on. Hands up, who on here can think of many examples of someone who has been in a position for a long time and needed to go in order for that organization to move forward?
Mussallem has not done a good job. He has not kept the community well informed and he is not a leader by any stretch. Note how the other councillors didn’t want him on committees, how they look to Ashley more often for direction, and how most of them are attaching themselves to other candidates by showing up at their campaign events.
Time for real change.

[quote=“BTravenn”]Current Mayor Jack Mussallem has upped the rhetoric yet again with his latest ad buy with allegations that all mayoralty candidates but him lack experience.

A screen shot of the ad and commentary can be found in this North Coast Review article: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … ience.html >.

“No other mayoral candidate has ever been mayor.” Yes, we are aware of that, Jack, and once upon a time, in case you’ve forgotten, you had never been a mayor either. That seems so long ago.

Obviously directed at Lee Brain: "One mayoral candidate has never been elected to council’. Hardly breathtaking news, but again Jack, in case you have forgotten, you too had never been elected to council before being elected mayor.

“Can our city at this time, withstand the delay while one of them learns”. That’s a loaded question, of course, and “one of them” obviously includes Sheila Gordon-Payne and Tony Briglio. Actually, Jack, if elected Sheila or Tony would bring more council experience than you had when you were elected in 1993 and even when you were elected again in 2008.

Time for a change. Time for a fresh look at things. Negotiating in private is fine, but there is no need to be incorporating a company, transferring City land, and approving a deal with an energy company behind closed doors. That’s not good government.[/quote]

I’m going the other way: his gutsy ads are way more entertaining than re-boot prince rupert or give Sheila another chance… or “Bite the hand that feeds you”…

Plus, I think Jack has done as good a job as anyone is going to do in this position. He’s got my vote, mainly because I am a cynic.

[quote=“drummerboy”]Too funny.
Even Mussallem is having a having a hard time finding anything positive to say about himself when experience, something that is not a virtue or laudable quality, but simply acquired by having existed in a position for a period of time, is all that he stands on. Hands up, who on here can think of many examples of someone who has been in a position for a long time and needed to go in order for that organization to move forward?
Mussallem has not done a good job. He has not kept the community well informed and he is not a leader by any stretch. Note how the other councillors didn’t want him on committees, how they look to Ashley more often for direction, and how most of them are attaching themselves to other candidates by showing up at their campaign events.
Time for real change.[/quote]

I don’t necessarily feel he has done a bad job…and council certainly is not getting a pass from me.

I am not sure if I am voting for Jack or Sheila at this point.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]
Plus, I think Jack has done as good a job as anyone is going to do in this position. He’s got my vote, mainly because I am a cynic.[/quote]

I am not voting for Jack because I am a cynic. I have no faith in his ability to lead our fair city in a positive direction.
Lee gets my vote. It is time for a change.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]
Plus, I think Jack has done as good a job as anyone is going to do in this position. He’s got my vote, mainly because I am a cynic.[/quote]

I am not voting for Jack because I am a cynic. I have no faith in his ability to lead our fair city in a positive direction.
Lee gets my vote. It is time for a change.[/quote]

I respect that.

But Lee said that he wants to listen to the people and many of the people have asked him to go for council and he has already not listened to them . He needs the experience as a council member many believe . He sat down with me and many others , he took my phone number down with " I will get back to you re a certain issue and I have not heard from him since .

Stop asking him where the nearest bong shop is and he probably will get back to you :wink:

I am shocked …

I dont care for some of Jack’s tactics but honestly cant see myself voting any other way. Lee early on and off and on I have considered voting for, but pipe dreams of wind power scared me off. I have also spoken with a couple of people that know him well and like him as a person but they will not vote for him. There has been talk that at the Councillor Forum Nelson spoke of Lee having said he would cut city staff and wages. It could be hear say but do your home work before voting for Lee. Lack of council experience is not my primary concern, it’s lack of life experience, some things take time to acquire and learn…as a Councillor we could of had a chance to see what he’s like, this way is just too risky. For me personally no matter who gets it ,it wont affect me much either way but again buyer beware.

Right. Of course everything posted on the Internet is factual and never hearsay. :wink:

If you want to know what Lee thinks why not ask him? Send him an email. One thing I’ll give him is that he seems to be very responsive to questions. While you are at it, send Jack an email and see if you get anything back.

I also suggest that you ask Nelson how he voted when staffing levels were cut a few years ago. As for suggestions that wages are going to be cut in a unionized workplace, that is absurd.

I would say that for me, the use of “attack ads” will factor heavily in my decision. If you want to win my vote, you do it by showing me why I should vote for you. Not by saying negative things about your opponents.

Not sure what this means. I have at least a passing acquaintance with all four candidates and like them all as people, but, just like everybody else, I won’t be voting for three of them.

That’s partly why I have a hard time understanding low turnout for municipal elections especially in a small town where everybody should know at least one of the candidates on one of the three ballots well enough to get out and support them.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

If you want to know what Lee thinks why not ask him? Send him an email. One thing I’ll give him is that he seems to be very responsive to questions. While you are at it, send Jack an email and see if you get anything back.

I also suggest that you ask Nelson how he voted when staffing levels were cut a few years ago. As for suggestions that wages are going to be cut in a unionized workplace, that is absurd.[/quote]

I thought it to mean excluded staff ie non union … I may not even vote hard to cast a ballot

[quote=“DWhite”]

Not sure what this means. I have at least a passing acquaintance with all four candidates and like them all as people, but, just like everybody else, I won’t be voting for three of them.

That’s partly why I have a hard time understanding low turnout for municipal elections especially in a small town where everybody should know at least one of the candidates on one of the three ballots well enough to get out and support them.[/quote]

I am speaking of more than just knowing him as an acquaintance… as said in another post casting a ballot for mayor will be challenging I might leave it blank

[quote=“jamesbrown”]
I thought it to mean excluded staff ie non union … I may not even vote hard to cast a ballot[/quote]

If Nelson said that he was fear mongering. Non-union staff have employment contracts; they don’t have to be in writing either. Unilaterally cut a non-union employee’s pay and they can go to court and claim constructive dismissal and entitlement to severance pay. This illustrates that it’s time to put some new people on council.

I’m hoping that at least Blair Mirau and Mr Randhawa will be elected. Blair is bright and has fresh ideas and a solid education. Mr Randhawa is a low key kind of guy who runs a local business and also has a commerce degree and audit experience on his resume; he came in a strong 2nd in the by-election.
blairmirau.ca/
northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … s-and.html

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

That’s partly why I have a hard time understanding low turnout for municipal elections especially in a small town where everybody should know at least one of the candidates on one of the three ballots well enough to get out and support them.

I am speaking of more than just knowing him as an acquaintance… [/quote]

I understand that. I was questioning the implication.

Knowing someone and liking them does not mean we have to vote for them. There are lots of people that I know well and like personally but I would never vote for them. Such is the nature of politics.

I know I have said this before, but this election is the best we have had in years. We have four legitimate candidates. All have something to offer. My problem is not finding someone to vote for; my problem is an electoral system that does not allow for preferential voting. It is quite possible that the eventual winner takes 35% of the vote. But that person may not be the one who is the most acceptable to a majority of voters.

Some years I have had trouble picking someone to vote for because I wasn’t too impressed with any of them. One year, I did leave my ballot blank. This is not one of those years.

By the way, the idea of liking someone and not voting for them is even more evident when I choose whom to support for council. There are several people who are running that I like and that I won’t be disappointed should they be elected. But I won’t be voting for them. I usually vote for two or three people; four would be my max. I don’t want my vote for someone I am just OK with helping to defeat someone I really want to see on council.

It is the reason for not voting for him that concerns me: they know him well and feel he is all talk and by no means ready to be a mayor Councillor yes or maybe … I do like the fact that Jack can be mayor full time and Sheila will lessen her work with NH to give the mayor post the time it requires… that said i understand that the mayors pay is not enough to live on but the others have the ability to either not hold another job or reduce other work.

[quote=“DWhite”]

… I usually vote for two or three people; four would be my max. I don’t want my vote for someone I am just OK with helping to defeat someone I really want to see on council.[/quote]

That is a very good point. Using all of the x’s can result in cancelling out some of your own votes. At this point there are three candidates for council that I would vote for and the rest I would leave blank. For mayor, it’s time to vote for change.