Mavericks iOS7

Any feedback on this new stuff? I just upgraded the Macbook and iPad over the weekend and haven’t had much time to check it out.
Holding off on the iPhone for a bit…
Anyone find anything really cool or really horrid to tell us about?

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Any feedback on this new stuff? I just upgraded the Macbook and iPad over the weekend and haven’t had much time to check it out.
Holding off on the iPhone for a bit…
Anyone find anything really cool or really horrid to tell us about?[/quote]

DID the update to the work iphone FML! now i want to smash it! I hate iphones. Wish they gave us all S3’s

Sure, computer techs hate Mac and iOS – both of them bypass their raison d’etre. How dare users install programs by themselves!

I’ve been using both Mavericks and iOS 7 since the summer. They’re both great updates.

Thought I bricked the IPad2, got in that USB to iTunes loop. After wasting time on Google (download this THAT no THIS all don;t work) found the restore settings in iTUens on the MAc and ran it. Scared that I lost things, but it all retired from iCloud and didn’ even miss a ghost on Tapped Out.
I’ll do the phone next Sunday…

Mail.app died for me in the Mavericks update. (I also lost my RSS, but that’s not a bug, it’s a feature, it seems. I got it back.) Mail crashes on trying to look at a message, though iCloud works well enough. My iPod is old enough that I can’t do iOS7, so no worries there.

Overall, not too bad.

Well its a given that anything out of Jason’s mouth is anti apple.
I have also been running ios7 all summer on my ipad 2 and worked fine, upgraded my iphone 5 when the GM came out also no regrets

As for Mavericks. Nothing broke or stopped working for me on my systems. It is a good update overall. Mavericks is not Windows 8 (Oh look lets bring back the start button. Shocker all it does it go to metro… The interface that only 2 year olds can like)

http://i.imgur.com/yANIYme.png

I’ve seen (and smelled) lots of rotten laptops. Never brand new ones, though. That’s hilarious.

I wonder what component makes it smell like cat piss? Something with ammonia?

[quote=“OMEGA”]Well its a given that anything out of Jason’s mouth is anti apple.
I have also been running ios7 all summer on my ipad 2 and worked fine, upgraded my iphone 5 when the GM came out also no regrets

As for Mavericks. Nothing broke or stopped working for me on my systems. It is a good update overall. Mavericks is not Windows 8 (Oh look lets bring back the start button. Shocker all it does it go to metro… The interface that only 2 year olds can like)[/quote]

Hmm well i guess the tides changed while I was away. Last time I heard apple were gods and could do no wrong according to jason. I’ve never personally liked apple products in fact I despise the iphone and find the user interface unintuitive (I feel like im using a single button mouse no seriously) but I can still see how others enjoy it/find it useful.

I really like Metro (or the interface previously known as Metro). A good example of what Microsoft needs to do to stay relevant – think differently and stop making everything about Windows and Office. Metro is great on touch devices.

But it sucks for devices without a touchscreen. Like really really bad.

Would be like trying to use iOS or Android without a touchscreen. Painful.

Also, I really like the traditional side of Windows 8. It’s like a super optimized and lighter Windows 7. Very nice on a traditional computer with mouse and keyboard.

But it sucks on a touchscreen. So painful to try and tap the little targets in excel with your finger!

That’s the shirty part of Windows 8. They took two great products and smooshed them together. And now it’s a schizophrenic mess. Sometimes you’re in an environment that works great for your setup (touch or non-touch) and sometimes you’re in an environment that is absolutely painful for your environment.

They really should have made the two products independent of each other.

I don’t want iOS on my laptop. I don’t want Mac OS X on my iPad. That’s essentially what Microsoft has done with Windows 8.

Also, just have hundreds of laptops to high school kids. All of them running Xubuntu, because Microsoft wouldn’t budge on their windows pricing.

Actually MSoft should stick to their business - Office. Lesson #1 is 'don’t kill your babies." Stupid to change direction and go after a low profit market like phones and tablets. They missed the boat on that one, the gravy train is over already.
Every manager I’ve met has carried on and demanded Windows7 instead, they don’t want a computer that powers up and invites you to fuck around on Facebook, YouTube, Music and hides the desktop in the corner.
So now every doofus that HAS TO drive four hours to Prince George to “save” $20 is giving me way more than that to set up Classic Shell… bwah hah hah.

Touchscreen laptops are stupid. Why swipe across a screen when you can move a mouse an inch to two. Or use a Mac trackpad…
I keep visioning some call centre with 200 hamster cages and 24" Windows8 touch screens placed 4 1/2 ft up on the wall, everyone leaping about like a calisthenics class… okay to watch some hottie on CSI or Hawaii50 doing that - but imagine 200 everyday fat, bald, sweaty people bouncing about with their shirt-tails out … ok I’m grossing myself out enuff!

The success of Apple refutes rule #1.

It’s ok to kill your babies, as long as you’re the one doing it, not the competition.

The iPhone is canabalizing iPod sales. Pretty much killed the iPod (and other MP3 players).

The iPad is cutting in deep into Mac sales (and other laptop sales).

See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Innovator’s_Dilemma

Basically what’s happening to RIM/Blackberry. Serving their current customers and ignoring future customers. As long as Microsoft makes tons of money selling to the technology managers from the 90’s, they’ll ignore the customers of 2014.

I’m liking iOS7 on my iPad especially now that I have nullified the motion of the apps when you tap them. iOS 7.0.3 is a good upgrade.

There’s two uses for an iPod, I think. To give to a kid who you don’t want to have a phone yet, and paired with a cheap ass Nokia if you are too cheap to pay the rates Canadian mobile companies charge. Like I am.

Although even I am thinking about buying an unlocked phone and putting a 7-11 SIM card into it next time.

[quote=“wmcduff”]There’s two uses for an iPod, I think. To give to a kid who you don’t want to have a phone yet, and paired with a cheap ass Nokia if you are too cheap to pay the rates Canadian mobile companies charge. Like I am.

Although even I am thinking about buying an unlocked phone and putting a 7-11 SIM card into it next time.[/quote]

Doesn’t the ipd have a microphone and speaker ? If so, you could set them up with a SIP account and if they are on WIFI they could use it as a phone, and imessage :smile:

Not a fan of apple anymore. Since Steve passed, it’s gone down hill…

Their laptops are nice, but they haven’t changed in 5 years. And to buy a laptop now with a HIGH resolution screen it’s OVER priced! Lenovo / Thinkpad / Dell = WIN!

Nice to see that Lenovo now has the NBD warranty & accidental care :smile: Wonder why apple wont do that…

I love Lenovo/Thinkpad/Dell for Linux/BSD. I currently have three Dell desktops and an Acer netbook all happily running *nix. I have one Win 7 station that also runs well (takes more to maintain).

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“wmcduff”]There’s two uses for an iPod, I think. To give to a kid who you don’t want to have a phone yet, and paired with a cheap ass Nokia if you are too cheap to pay the rates Canadian mobile companies charge. Like I am.

Although even I am thinking about buying an unlocked phone and putting a 7-11 SIM card into it next time.[/quote]

Doesn’t the ipd have a microphone and speaker ? If so, you could set them up with a SIP account and if they are on WIFI they could use it as a phone, and imessage :smile:

Not a fan of apple anymore. Since Steve passed, it’s gone down hill…

Their laptops are nice, but they haven’t changed in 5 years. And to buy a laptop now with a HIGH resolution screen it’s OVER priced! Lenovo / Thinkpad / Dell = WIN!

Nice to see that Lenovo now has the NBD warranty & accidental care :smile: Wonder why apple wont do that…[/quote]

Sorry Jase but you walked right into this one.

Work laptop is a Dell E6410 with a 750 gig HDd 240gigs of that is Dell Manuals & lexmark Manual,with 2 x 23" lcd’s & dock. Personal laptop is a Dell V131 256 gig ssd 8 gig ram. Field & heli programming laptop is a Dell Inspiron One ( MINI Blue DELL) Personal playing around laptop Thinkpad T61 given to me for free. 120gig ssd 4gigs ram Win 7.

I tried Ubuntu on my V131 it was fast, but the battery life :frowning: YUK!!

Alex, if i had the money i would totally buy 2 x 27" apple displays and that new mac pro, that thing is WICKED looking & the specs look impressive. HOWEVER i can just imagine the price that it’s going to start at… AND for that price, i can buy a nice DELL for HALF :smile:

You can speed Ubuntu up even more if you go with a desktop environment other than the default. XFCE is a much faster environment.

[quote=“hitest”]

You can speed Ubuntu up even more if you go with a desktop environment other than the default. XFCE is a much faster environment.[/quote]

Didn’t need more speed, wanted my 6 hour battery life. On windows i was around 6-7 hours, with ubuntu i was at 2 max