Massage therapy

Cannabis cookies have helped many to get that good sleep. Everyone who has tried it has been greatly surprised. And those who don’t like the euphoric effect can sleep through it.

If my back has been kicking me, I find it’s necessary for me to take a cookie before supper or else I wake up feeling groggy.

[quote=“Soggy”]Cannabis cookies have helped many to get that good sleep. Everyone who has tried it has been greatly surprised. And those who don’t like the euphoric effect can sleep through it.

If my back has been kicking me, I find it’s necessary for me to take a cookie before supper or else I wake up feeling groggy.[/quote]

Now you just wake up craving munchies !! LOL or more cookies !!

I do find that I enjoy my breakfast much more on those mornings.

[quote=“eccentric”]

Be sure to consider what could happen if you delay surgery hoping something non-invasive will work. It certainly won’t hurt for you to see a neurosurgeon, and if he or she recommends surgery that’s a strong opinion to add to your list of things to consider while you think this through.[/quote]

Back surgery is scary, but not necessarily something to avoid. My daughter had back surgery five years ago. It was done out of Children’s Hospital where the doctors took extra time to ensure that we understood exactly what would happen and to alleviate any concerns we had. I am not sure how doctors treat adult patients; just be sure that you get all the information you need.

The doctor made one point that I think was pertinent. At a young age, it is easier to recuperate from the surgery. As well, younger people are not hindered by job or family obligations. If it looks like surgery may be unavoidable, it is probably best to get it done sooner rather than later.

I had my surgery when I was 21. Recovered just fine.

No amount of voodoo or witchcraft would have fixed it as well as the surgeon did.

Lol Mig, the most “voodo” ish thing that I might consider would be a deep tissue massage. And that’s not voodoey… I’m going to try putting in some hard work in the next little bit, if it doesn’t help, then I’m going to start considering surgery.

Just don’t go to the Wellness Centre for a deep muscle massage. Once when I was in a bad way I phoned down to see if they gave deep muscle massage. When they responded affirmatively, I limped down there to receive only some touchy-feely type of massage.

Then they tried to get me to do some of that acupuncture crap. What a bunch of BS.

I was extremely disappointed that I had dragged myself off the floor and gone down for such a dismal result.

Thanks everyone, for all your advice and help. I have an appointment with Karen Skarpness next wednesday. It’s going to be painful, but I am sick of being stuck in the house. I’m also using a TENS unit, hopefully that will decrease my pain as well.

Thanks, love all ways, always, Bubbasteve.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]Thanks everyone, for all your advice and help. I have an appointment with Karen Skarpness next wednesday. It’s going to be painful, but I am sick of being stuck in the house. I’m also using a TENS unit, hopefully that will decrease my pain as well.

Thanks, love all ways, always, Bubbasteve.[/quote]

I hope you get some relief, bubbasteve735! Karen has helped me the last 20+ years. Yes. Your treatment may be painful, but, I trust Karen. :smile:

Yeah I do too. I’ve seen her once already. She’s very straight forward and I like that in a person. I just really hope this will work, I really don’t want surgery. :frowning:

Physiotherapy is a very good intervention. If the physiotherapy does not help you I suggest that you listen to your Doctor’s advice as to what to do next.

I’ve been plagued with back, neck, shoulder, hands, knees, and ankle problems for the last 10+ years. I’ve seen Chiropractor Karen Fait for 8 years, and most recently, Leslie Roberts at Cornerstones. Both have very different styles; Karen is very “sound productive” or “crunchy” and the kind of chiropractor you expect, while Leslie doesn’t squish you or turn you into a contortionist, while achieving the same results. Both women are very good in my opinion.

I’ve also seen Betty Lou Hunt from Cornerstones, as well as Ben at the hospital physiotherapy/rehab. I wasn’t at all impressed with Betty Lou’s mumbo jumbo, but Ben is great and has Helped me immensely. Best thing about the hospital rehab, is that it’s free and not $40+ per visit like everyone else, but it has an extremely long waiting list unless you’ve had surgery of some sort.

If you haven’t been to acupuncture before, and are open to it, try it out as well. Kent at Cornerstones is great too. That helped a lot with my hands, and thru a health questionairre, figured out what foods and situations I need to stay away from to keep my body balanced. He showed me the greatest tool I’ve learned so far to deal with my arthritis, tendinitis, and carpal tunnel ridden hands, and that had nothing to do with needles.

Unfortunately, if you decide to see any of the above (except the hospital physio/rehab) it’s going to cost you at least $40 an appointment, and significantly more for your initial consultation. However, if you want to stay away from surgery, try as many things as you can… something is bound to work for you :smile:

Save your money. Chiropractic is BS and so is acupuncture. Neither have shown any results better than placebo.

It’s all in the mind.

Oh no you didn’t! All those people who are being paid by Big Placebo will now tell you why you are wrong.

And for the person in pain, will that really matter? My father had crippling shoulder pain years ago. Nothing was working. Out of desperation he tried accupuncture. For him, it relieved the pain. I have no idea if it actually did anything to him physically or not. Frankly it didn’t matter. Dad felt better and the pain didn’t come back.

[quote=“Soggy”]Save your money. Chiropractic is BS and so is acupuncture. Neither have shown any results better than placebo.

It’s all in the mind.[/quote]

I don’t know that it is ALL BS, I’m sure some is but when I was diagnosed with both Lupus and fibromyalgia 20 years ago I was living in Ontario and they tried everything from lidocaine injections in every joint (no results!) to accupuncture, accupressure,TENS, ultrasound therapy, massage and unfortunatley meds. which increased my seizure activity as I am epileptic also. I would say that the accupuncture was relatively successful. Fortunately in Ontario, these treatments are covered or at least they were, don’t know now, but you have to be rich to gain any healthy results here and that is very sad. I haven’t had any treatments of any kind since living in BC, I just deal with it on a daily basis, some days better than others but for those that can afford accupuncture, I would give it a try but if you don’t feel any different by the end of the third treatment, keep your money in your wallet and Bubba, go buy yourself a new pair of shoes instead. Retail therapy ROCKS !!

[quote=“CrazyMike”]

And for the person in pain, will that really matter? My father had crippling shoulder pain years ago. Nothing was working. Out of desperation he tried accupuncture. For him, it relieved the pain. I have no idea if it actually did anything to him physically or not. Frankly it didn’t matter. Dad felt better and the pain didn’t come back.[/quote]

Of course it didn’t do anything physically (above placebo). It’s based on superstition and religion. You would have achieved the same results by poking your father in the back at random with toothpicks.

What’s the harm? Well, none if the placebo is enough. And you understand that it’s a placebo.

The big harm is that people then think that since superstition and religion and placebo worked for illness X, then it should work for illness Y. Next you’ll have witch doctors insisting that they can cure cancers or AIDs, or other illnesses. And if you’re a “true believer” then you won’t seek treatment that really does work, and depend on the superstition instead.

What’s the harm in prayer instead of medical treatment? I know that if I prayed for someone to get better, and they got better, then prayer works, right? Next time they need antibiotics or cancer treatment or something like that, I’ll insist they not get it – and pray for them instead.

Acupuncture is no different than prayer in this case. Both based on religion and superstition. Both placebos.

Here’s a list of anecdotes of people who followed the same logic and had severe consequences (even death):

whatstheharm.net/acupuncture.html

Well that’s a nice soap box you have there Mig. I don’t even disagree with you, except I would have qualified your remarks with “The big harm is that SOME people…”

All I know is that my dad found relief when he needed it.

Some people can and clearly do take it too far. That can be said of a lot of things though.

“What’s the harm? Well, none if the placebo is enough. And you understand that it’s a placebo.”

And there’s no harm in your father finding relief in prayer either, is there? Or in any other religion-based practice.

I just don’t like it when some people pretend that acupuncture isn’t religion or superstition based (not that you did).

Maybe that’s the power of religion – when “it just works” then there’s no argument against it.

Let me ask you this, since you say “All I know is …” – wouldn’t you rather be able to say “I know why …” instead?

Here are some good placebos for back pain:

Chiropractic
Accupuncture
Massage therapy
Rolfing
Physiotherapy
Steroid injection

Without these placebos, most cases of back pain improve within 2 to 3 months. With these placebos, the back pain usually improves within 60 to 90 days.

The role of a physician in back pain is to find the 0.2% of cases that need surgery due to underlying serious pathology. The other 99.8% of cases will get better no matter what you do.

I don’t understand why treatment A is identified as a placebo, where treatment B is endorsed as “good”. None of the treatments above have been shown to be of any benefit compared to placebo. Nor has medication, for that matter. When I hurt somewhere, I ignore it and get on with my life. Works for me.