Mass Evictions from Digby Towers/Sherbrooke Gardens

There’s a guy here on disability pay who told me an interesting tale. They closed the welfare office in the Fort a couple years back and they must now go to Vanderhoof for interviews. I had mentioned to him how my 18 yr old son tried to apply for welfare, so they’d schedule an appointment for 9:30 am, knowing full well the bus didn’t leave here until 9:10 and arrive there at 9:50. When he got there after mooching $20 bus fare they berated him for not even making his interview on time, you’re disqualified, try again next month.
He told me a few years a ago he must go to mandatory interviews every few months and the “cap” on what they paid towards “transit” was $2.75. He had to come up with the other $36 and had to hang around Vandehoof in his wheelchair all day until the bus returned at 6 pm.
The $2.75 was what a bus pass in Vancouver cost, so that’s that.
Lucky he had friends who’ll drive him, but that’s the intent. Shirk gov’t costs back onto the generosity of the public to pretend there’s a savings.
Just like when several times a month I get some filthy, stinking of booze dickwad demanding I sign a welfare “job search” form so the gov’t doesn’t have to do any work.

Hey HTMF members! Just an update on our situation here…Gary Coons has been informed and had a meeting with him yesterday RE:Digby etc. and I would watch for the plot to thicken and the proverbial pot to be stirred and I have to thank him for his time and his advice…As for moving the Fairview clients in Sherbrooke? that is a very generous offer and I do know that Joe would appreciate that but there is a supplement for moving expences if one is on PWD or welfare. I suppose it is a matter of poking through the red tape which seems to deter most people in need of that assistance as they are made to feel lowly and as though they are begging for what they deserve. A couple of our tenants here are not even looking for new accomodation yet, which is a concern, as though there may be this influx of places as hinted in the Snooze yesterday, the rents are high compared to what they have been paying here. I like the quote though that they are planning to update the Helmsman, the '70’s looking outside and add “posie pots”. Well, that’s a big f—g deal breaker there, higher rent but you get to look at a flower :astonished: They have to get REAL in this town and get a handle on the need, not the esthetics…Thank you guys for your support :smile:

I think it would be a good idea to bring awareness to the community and government as part of a group. There a lot of people who need housing and places to live for 375.00 a month are almost impossible to find. I know it is a big issue to tackle and it takes a long time to get results, but I see my parents possibly looking for a home one day and I’d like it if there was a place for them in the community they worked in  most of their lives. Your offer to help move the guys in Sherbrooke is a fine one and I hope they find a place.  I hope Gary Coons can assist and I’ll do what I can when I hear there’s a plan in the works.