Manson's Jewelers closing

I noticed today that Manson’s is having a closing sale, everything must go. Sad to see such a long time Rupert business close. That will make yet another empty building on 3rd avenue.

I am very sorry to hear about this! This is indeed bad news.

It is possible that it is in part that the owners want to retire… But likely the poor economy was a factor… the coming “boom” is still in the myth or works stage depending on who is asked up there.

Whenever I’m in Cooks or Mansons Ive been surprised that there are always people in there shopping. Perhaps not enough to make a decent living anymore though. I’ve wondered how two jewellers have managed to stay in business during the worst of times considering that they sell luxury items.

I don’t remember Mansons but I remember Cooks from the '70s. Even with a slow economy neither place had to compete with a large chain jewler, (Peoples, Ben Moss, etc.) so that probably helped. Also if the WalMart there sells jewelry that could bethe big factor.

LOL@ walmart being a factor… you cannot compare what Mason’s sells and Walmart …

Two jewlery shops did well when fisherman really bought the cash into Rupert back in the day… Always like Mason’s the best… Found owners and staff very kind and caring, i wish them the best!

It is sad to see Mansons closing for whatever reason and also Rudderhams, two mainstays in this town. But there are 2 other jewellers here, surprising for a town this size. Wal-Mart here does not sell jewellery, only cheap watches in the ladies/menswear depts. and I know more people, due to sheer necessity, are shopping online.

Manson’s has been in Rupert since 1945. We do have 2 other jewellery stores.

Manson’s wants everything gone by the end of the year so they can close the store and retire to the Okanagan.

So when all this shit is happening with well established businesses shut their doors , where is The Chamber of Commerce and where is City Council are they so caught up in this Dog and Pony show regarding the so called Big Boom . Reality it has done shit for the community , they take away our little freedom for walking around the water front , they are allowing the Downtown die . Don K. is just getting richer and fatter , we are just marks here for the number game . It is all very sad and I think this mayor does not give a shit either .

Ditto

Growing up in Prince Rupert 70s was so different from today… My parents restarted their lives in Prince Rupert with young children. Both acquired employment immediately this being folks that were not university grads or trades people. They made great money in the fish plants, step father worked year round and mom had a bit of on call time in the winter, but her second income was great. We got an old wartime house and dad renovated it gradually. We vacationed, went camping and so much more. Business were prosperous and it was a growing community… Down turn in the fishing industry / combined with the mill closure made Rupert a very different place.
Things happen and some how the community may prosper again one day I am sure, however I got sick and tired of these ‘booms’ … Rents become like other thriving communities and welfare client load simply keep increasing… I wish there was a council that would get there bloody heads out of the sand box instead of clinging to false hope… Other towns come back so can Rupert, but council needs to be more honest and solve the issue gradually by being more open to new businesses and helping people that have been there for a long time work on solutions rather than cling to false hopes. Sure the port and other projects are a help for certain people, but there is a huge group that won’t benefit. I only found that Joy and Nelson on council realistic the rest are clinging to false hope of this boom…
The Mayor does not give a shit and there has not been a good candidate for a while, I used to go vote for Nelson and Joy and school board and leave … Herb was not liked by some, but he understands business…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

Ditto

The great myth called “the boom”

Prince Rupert is a unique and interesting community. You will find some of the kindest souls. I love the way the cultures blend and often the rich and poor live side by side, it should be thriving but the picture today is one of false hopes where a great many trades people arrive for a spell, and will eventually depart within 2 years. This causes a false real estate boom, that a some people gain with, but others must be careful as property values drop once this group of trades people leave.

Growing up in Prince Rupert 70s was so different from today… My parents restarted their lives in Prince Rupert with young children. Both acquired employment immediately this being folks that were not university grads or trades people. They made great money in the fish plants, step father worked year round and mom had a bit of on call time in the winter, but her second income was great. We got an old wartime house and dad renovated it gradually. We vacationed, went camping and so much more. Business were prosperous and it was a growing community… Down turn in the fishing industry / combined with the mill closure made Rupert a very different place.

Things happen and some how the community may prosper again one day I am sure, however I got sick and tired of these ‘booms’ … Rents become like other thriving communities and welfare client load simply keep increasing… I wish there was a council that would get there bloody heads out of the sand box instead of clinging to false hope… Other towns come back so can Rupert, but council needs to be more honest and solve the issue gradually by being more open to new businesses and helping people that have been there for a long time work on solutions rather than cling to false hopes. Sure the port and other projects are a help for certain people, but there is a huge group that won’t benefit. I only found that Joy and Nelson on council realistic the rest are clinging to false hope of this boom…
The Mayor does not give a shit and there has not been a good candidate for a while, I used to go vote for Nelson and Joy and school board and leave … Herb was not liked by some, but he understands business…[/quote]

Ditto

The great myth called “the boom”

Prince Rupert is a unique and interesting community. You will find some of the kindest souls. I love the way the cultures blend and often the rich and poor live side by side, it should be thriving but the picture today is one of false hopes where a great many trades people arrive for a spell, and will eventually depart within 2 years. This 'boom" causes a false real estate boom, that a some people gain with, but others must be careful as property values drop once this group of trades people leave.

The Mayor does not give a shit and there has not been a good candidate for a while, I used to go vote for Nelson and Joy and school board and leave .

shit sorry for the reposts>>… last one is the final…

I remember meeting Al Manson at his jewelry store when I was in my teens. Extremely nice guy, had a great laugh and was very fair. I also remember his children working at the store, especially during the Christmas Holidays and taking advantage of that awesome “Gift Bin” (make a purchase at the store entitled you to a free item from their Christmas Gift Bid)… this was in the mid 70’s when we actually HAD a city. I am truly saddened to see the iconic jewelry store close its doors, but will always remember the many staff who had exceptional service skills and treated me well. I certainly hope that their retirement is as rewarding as their business was.

You guys realize that the boom won’t actually be in the form of a loud “boom” and then there will be jobs for all and peace and harmony rule the island, right?

We have a container port operating full time with a fourth crane arriving this summer. We have crews working at the Pinnacle pellet build right now, as well as big crews out at Ridley. We have people conducting tests out at Lelu Island and a site has already been chosen for the camp that will be built for the workers on the LNG site. Local 1611 has been dispatching less people out of Rupert to Kitimat in anticipation of a need for labour starting in August, which I’ve heard is related to a potash facility. The town isn’t ‘booming’ yet, but we’re out of the muck–and anyone cynical enough not to see that will never be happy.

[quote=“eccentric”]You guys realize that the boom won’t actually be in the form of a loud “boom” and then there will be jobs for all and peace and harmony rule the island, right?

We have a container port operating full time with a fourth crane arriving this summer. We have crews working at the Pinnacle pellet build right now, as well as big crews out at Ridley. We have people conducting tests out at Lelu Island and a site has already been chosen for the camp that will be built for the workers on the LNG site. Local 1611 has been dispatching less people out of Rupert to Kitimat in anticipation of a need for labour starting in August, which I’ve heard is related to a potash facility. The town isn’t ‘booming’ yet, but we’re out of the muck–and anyone cynical enough not to see that will never be happy.[/quote]

We’re out of the muck as you say! Have you by any chance checked the rents in this town as of late? They have increased exponentially with the crap about the "boom’ ! Who can afford to live in any of these rentals and not nice ones either, they are crap. A bachelor suite, d/t, $850 monthly because it is centrally located ! Big woop! The only people to benefit from the good paying jobs are the ones with the good paying jobs and you think they are spending their big bucks here, think again ! Wal-Mart isn’t classed as high end shopping !

Not convinced the “boom” is coming any more than it has been coming … every … single … year … since like 1998 or so. I wish that Ajaye guy was still around.

Meanwhile, one indication of a ‘boom’ is definitely increased rents. Take a look at any other boom town, and you’ll see that things get expensive really quick.

[quote=“MiG”]Not convinced the “boom” is coming any more than it has been coming … every … single … year … since like 1998 or so. I wish that Ajaye guy was still around.

Meanwhile, one indication of a ‘boom’ is definitely increased rents. Take a look at any other boom town, and you’ll see that things get expensive really quick.[/quote]

ditto

the boom is as likely as the end of rain up there… yeah yeah a few people are getting ahead but overall it’s sad… there will always be muck in Rupert that’s certain… :smile:

Its all very sad the way our downtown has been allowed to become a row of empty stores , how we have been restricted from enjoying our walks due to Big Brother’s rules . The big bucks are not being spent in this community on the edge .The hard Drug scene has become way more active but so much of it is escaping the men and women in uniform while the relaxed individual has limitation to where he or she can get their Bong while the hardcore user can access the crack . My questions seem to be going to deaf ears , the so-called city fathers or mothers in council seem to be under control and gagged by some Cowboy and Big Brother . Lets just sit back and watch the Big Cranes in motion , and watch the pellets fall and big brother can keep f@#k#@g us all . Lets wait and see if we will eventually have a horror story like what is happening in Lac-Megantic in Eastern Quebec , so sad to see such a beautiful area like that hit so hard .