Mall Expansion rumours cleared up

Right from the horses mouth (Rupert Square Mall) from their facebook site:

1.) Wal-Mart opening in Fall 2012

2.) Expanded Shoppers Drug Mart opening in Extra Foods spot, opening Spring/Summer 2012

3.) Nothing confirmed yet with other rumoured retailers (Dollarama/SportChek ect) for the other half of Extra Foods, but they said whoever comes in will be bringing more jobs to PR.

What about the rumour that Marks and Reitmans are moving down stairs?

I heard they are not and that the walmart will be in just the current space, any one heard anything??

I can’t say how or why I know but it’s a Dollarama…100% guaranteed.

reitman’s was asked to move downstairs but they declined, rumour is if their lease isn’t renewed in same spot they will be looking elsewhere in town and not stay in the mall

I heard marks has a 10 years left on their lease.

I think Marks and Reitmans should move downstairs. Walmart is not a threat to their business, they sell totally different quality and styles of clothing. It would actually bring people to mall, if the mall was full. That would be good for ALL businesses. If Reitmans was to move out, they will lose a lot of walk by business. I use to walk into shuttershack everytime at the mall and now, I’m lucky if I get there 3 times a year.

Athletes World and Sportschek are already tied to same owners, so I think that■s where the talk of Sportschek came in. I just hope businesses look at the big picture and mall does something to accomodate people. Give the businesses a good reason to move down stairs. It could be good business for all if the mall is full. Hopefully this all goes through without a battle.

Something tells me that the mall would rather move Marks and Reitmans to accomodate Wal-Mart.

Despite what people thing about the store, it is a magnet, other retailers usually like to relocate near it.

Reitman would be stupid to move out of the mall though, they have been in there since forever and the fact that they still are open, despite all the economic problems in this city over the years, speaks volumes.

I don’t really blame them for not wanting to move, but it sucks that this will prevent Wal-Mart from being bigger than Zellers.

Perhaps the solution would be to drive a dozer over the Salty Crab

I don’t understand why this is still speculation.

Reitmans and Marks ARE NOT MOVING ANYWHERE! The “Walmart” store will be only as big as our Zellers is now. Don’t be fooled by believing we need a huge store… Rupert can’t support much more right now!

Shoppers AND Dollarama will take over the old Extra Foods spot. I heard a rumor recently that a fast food joint was moving in there too… but I haven’t heard it from the powers that be yet.

THERE WILL BE NO SPORTCHEK IN RUPERT any time soon! Athletes World is as close a SportChek as we’ll ever get until this town can support a store any bigger!

I heard that an A&W will be opening a location in the upper mall parking lot but i do not know how reliable the source is

dollarrama and shoppers downstairs

wallmart wanted most of the upstairs space but the mall owners said no they didn’t want to screw up downtown stores, so the wallmart we are getting is going to be the smallest they have and will be an experiment, for if it works they can do the same thing in other small cities

[quote=“Jabber63”]dollarrama and shoppers downstairs

wallmart wanted most of the upstairs space but the mall owners said no they didn’t want to screw up downtown stores, so the wallmart we are getting is going to be the smallest they have and will be an experiment, for if it works they can do the same thing in other small cities[/quote]

What downtown stores? Cripes the place has been cleaned out even before they get here.

[quote=“smartass”]I don’t understand why this is still speculation.

Reitmans and Marks ARE NOT MOVING ANYWHERE! The “Walmart” store will be only as big as our Zellers is now. Don’t be fooled by believing we need a huge store… Rupert can’t support much more right now!

Shoppers AND Dollarama will take over the old Extra Foods spot. I heard a rumor recently that a fast food joint was moving in there too… but I haven’t heard it from the powers that be yet.

THERE WILL BE NO SPORTCHEK IN RUPERT any time soon! Athletes World is as close a SportChek as we’ll ever get until this town can support a store any bigger![/quote]

You don’t understand why this is speculation? Because no one has come out and said one way or another that this is not happening, despite presistant rumours…so please get off your high horse and STOP SHOUTING AT EVERYONE!

Also…who are you to be the voice of the economy in this city…telling people not to be fooled…GMAFB…you manage an Athlete’s World…this does not make you the appointed economist for the city!

Why is it everyone is fussing over what can and cannot be sustained in Rupert? I say whatever has been in the past, let it be in the past as the city is falling at a turbulent rate since the mill shut down. If it means mom and pop shops closing up so some chain stores can come in with marketable prices than so be it. I have and will continue to shop out of town. The prices here are ridiculous, I have times shipped here and the cost is still below what some of the owners of the stores indicate are below their cost. If the City (staff) and spending continue to grow this will be the only growth the soon to be town will ever have.

I heard this too!