Major quake strikes off coast of Northern California

Major quake strikes off coast of Northern California
RUN THEY SAY!
Associated Press

CRESCENT CITY, Calif. - A major earthquake struck about 80 miles off the coast of Northern California on Tuesday night, prompting a tsunami warning along the Pacific coast.

The 7.0-magnitude quake struck at about 7:50 p.m. about 90 miles west southwest of the coastal community of Crescent City, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Web site.

A tsunami warning is in effect from the California-Mexico border all the way north to Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Residents were being evacuated from low-lying areas of Crescent City, KCBS radio reported.

2 hours, 52 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A strong earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale struck Alaska’s Aleutian islands, according to the US Geological Survey.

The
USGS said on its website that the quake struck in the region of the Rat Islands, part of the Aleutian Islands, 70 kilometers (45 miles) south of Semisopochnoi Island, Alaska at 8:10 am local time (1710 GMT).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said no tsunami warnings had been issued in the wake of the quake.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If we were to feel an aftershock resulting from either of those, it would probably happen after dark and would be so miniscule it wouldn’t cause damage at all. If we felt it at all it would probably be like the last one that happened while people were sleeping and was hardly a rumble.

Don’t spread the word of a tsunami warning too far. Usually when we get them here in Rupert everyone rushes down to the waterfront to see the action. :open_mouth:

Mike

[quote=“CrazyMike”]Don’t spread the word of a tsunami warning too far. Usually when we get them here in Rupert everyone rushes down to the waterfront to see the action. :open_mouth:

Mike[/quote]

We used to have tsunami warnings in elementary school… back before people realized the wave only ended up being 1-2 inches when it finally arrived here.

Yeah i have asked lots of people here today about this and they are all like your on glue take more drug’s no one belives me… NO ONE WATCHES THE NEWS EITHER… wacky stuff…

That’s how it goes here too. I was calling my buddies and warning them.

“In case my phone call cuts off down here while were talking, you have about 15 minutes up North to run”! They also thought I was nutso!