Magnitude 6.1 Earthquake on Vancouver Island

I’m not sure how bad it is, but, I just read on CNN that Vancouver Island has had a magnitude 6.1 Earth Quake.

[quote] (CNN) – A magnitude 6.1 earthquake has rocked Vancouver Island, Canada, Thursday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The temblor’s epicenter was located about 95 miles (153 kilometers) west-southwest of Port Hardy, British Columbia, and about 293 miles (472 kilometers) west-northwest of Vancouver, British Columbia.

A 6.1-magnitude earthquake is classified as “strong,” the USGS Web site says, capable of causing considerable damage.

Thursday’s quake was the latest of about two dozen temblors of magnitude 4 or above to strike in the area in the past 48 hours, according to the USGS. A 5.2-magnitude quake was the largest of those, striking the same area Wednesday.

Seismologists told the Associated Press the quakes pose no tsunami threat and are unlikely to be felt on land.

Vancouver Island sits off Canada’s west coast. Its main city of Victoria sits at its southern end. [/quote]

CNN

Mid-island, the only movement I felt was one of the cats jumping onto the bed-there have a series of quakes just off the west coast of the island since yesterday, looks like some earth building is going on out there…

iris.washington.edu/seismon/

Good to hear it wasn’t too serious, Saffron! :smile:

Someone told me that it’s a known fact Vancouver Island will be underwater by 2020.
Must’ve had a wig on over the tinfoil…

Good thing we moved up here from there!  ha ha.

I was pretty damn upset today reading over some of the asshat comments posted on the CBC website in conjunction with their news story about the quakes, more or less saying anyone who lives on the coast is just asking to get killed in an earthquake. Sure proved that an individual doesn’t need to have a brain to make a post, just enough fingers to type on their keyboard…

:unamused:

i live on the coast hahah, but one day the coast line  is going to change, Prince Rupert in say 10 to 20 years is going to have to do something or its going to loose most of its ocean side property, as for sinking because of a earthquake I think that’s a long time away, your more then likely going to be wiped out by a mile high Tidal wave when the earth crust slips from the core or when the magnetic poles shift.  :astonished:

i’m thinking of moving that way does this happen regularly? :confused:

Why is the coastline going to change and ocean side properties will be lost?  Sorry but I don’t understand what you expressed as a cause (if you did express a cause?).

I was being criptive big thumb;   oceans will rise, Erosion, ice caps melting, water front property will vanish over the next 20 years or so. Beach place st, and water st, will be right on the ocean and cnn property will be gone.

But what will cause oceans to rise and ice caps to melt?

haha sunspots, and Russia …  :smiley:

Elaborate please.

NO  :smiley: I plead the 5th.

Astro is a member of the crips, and CNN owns property here? Exactly where the hell did I wake up today?

LOL, I understand that Lou Dobbs bought one of the houses up on the bluffs overlooking the container port and ferry terminal so he could watch those Chinese ships come in for himself… :sunglasses:

http://www.masmenosuno.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/crip02.jpg

?

Huh?