Mac osx on PC anyone esle try yet

so I got osx running on a pc, but some things don’t work sound, and networking. No big deal as I don’t need those things right know. I wanted to familiarize myself with the operating system. if anyone else is interested there are some good sites out there that will show you how to to it, some people have great luck installing OSX leopard on to Laptops with everything working.

here are a few sites.

osx86project.org/

*(http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/202/42/)

so here are PC Systems that work right out of the box.

Dell
[edit] Latitude D820

Everything works:

* Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2 Ghz
    * 4 GB Ram (Shows 3.25 GB)
    * 100 GB SATA HDD
    * Sigmatel HD Audio 9200
    * Dell TrueMobile 1490 Wireless
    * Broadcom 57XX (%h 1600) Product ID
    * NVidia Quadro 110

[edit] Precision 490

All working perfectly
Intel 1000MT only working in PCI-X slot .

Laptop.

Acer Aspire 5610z-2966

All works except 5 in 1 card reader . . . .

Everything working with EFI and Vanilla kernel except for Power Management.
[edit] Acer Aspire 9410-2028

Everything works with ToH Leopard except 5 in 1 card reader, WiFi recognized as AirPort .

EFI 5.1 working .
[edit] Acer Aspire 5570z

* BrazilMac DVD installs fine ; endless loop of welcome vide, have to upgrade from Uphuck
    * No WLAN, Ethernet, PCMCIA
    * GMA950 graphics fully working

Very interesting… So Its cool that you can dual boot with PC and OSX… And save a ton of money doing it.*

Haven’t tried it because, um, I don’t have a PC… but there is a website that outlines a step-by-step process to make the previous version work perfectly. (What was that, Tiger?) I think Leopard kicks the security up a notch to prevent people from doing what you’re doing.

Did you think of just using Tiger instead?

Meantime, I’ll try and find you that website. I have a friend down south who followed it religiously.

this one

pcwizcomputer.com/software/vmwareosx86.htm    ?

I did it on my Dell 2 years ago.  I’m pretty sure that I posted screenshots and instructions here.

The problem was that half of the hardware was unsupported.  So no WiFi, for example.  The whole point of Mac OS X is that it works well with a certain hardware config.  That’s one of the reasons it works well and Windows (and Linux) have hardware-related driver issues.

That being said, my time is more valuable than the difference in price between a Dell and a MacBook.

It’s a nice hack, though.  But what happens with updates and stuff?  Also, is there a specific of you can buy that has guaranteed mac support – ie. All the hardware is supported? 

How much are these Dells and Acers?  If you add in the price of Leopard (they can run Leopard, right?), is it that much cheaper?    One of those that works 100% – what’s the price?

Personally, I’d rather just do this in VMware.  That’s the way to run a bunch of OSes without much bother.

Are you drunk or simply mocking astro?

Oh, man, I wrote that in my iPhone in a moving car (not driving).  I edited it.

I laughed my ass off when I read it again.

This way sux, its laggy. It’s better to just install it and run it natively on a x86 machine.

oh I hear ya it sure it is Im downloading the Leopard AMD DVD that is an easy install will give it a try…

if you have questions feel free to pm, you already know my email i believe.

J’

Thanks Jason I will if I have a problem  :smile: