Mac OS X Lion

Here’s John SIracusa’s excellent review of 10.7:

arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/20 … x-10-7.ars

I’ve been running it since it was released to developers a couple of weeks ago. Excellent.

With this miserable weather, it may be the only good thing in all July 2011…

I’m waiting for the queue to die down from the app store. I am sad there’s no DVD option to buy (just have to burn the .dmg once it’s dl’ed I guess)
thanks for the link!

The mail app, air drop, resume and document versions are very nice. however full screen mode is a disaster i was angry to find out that with my dual screen setup whenever i would take an app to full screen or even play a quicktime movie in full screen it blanks out my other monitor making it useless. i am glad i tested this on my macbook before attempting it on my main computer.

Now mig we have already had our discussion about this through other channels. i just wanted to say my two cents

Apple sure is clearing out the cobwebs and their own machines with their new software: you need at least 2 gigs of ram to run Lion, and for the computers they sold 3 years ago…are no more! No more macbooks! Talk about tough love…upgrade or be obselete. The big push for macbook Air is being shoved down our throats it seems.

Still playing in the puddles that is Lion…

Lion sounds like a winner to me; apple has greatly improved security with this release. First rate! :smile:

After playing with lion and all the gestures and stuff. a part of me thinks, is lion the OS that should be powering the iPad instead of IOS
what does everybody else think

I love the new voices.

I put off the upgrade, I have a 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo 4 GB Macbook. Some reports of being slower after installing Lion, and I have Office 2004 that won’t work.
Nice thing though is that even after buying an iPad2, a new Mac mini and a 2nd hand worktruck, I can’t plead poverty. $29… a Windows 7 OEM is quadruple.

Success i have fixed iCal thanks to google and some digging around. now it no longer looks like something you would find on a computer and no this was not a photoshop job. now all i have to do is find a way to fix the finder

Just bought this 29$ jem :smile: Just burned to the dvd, backing up laptop then fresh install, should really wait till my ssd drive arrives but MEH!

I’ve done a bunch of installs, both upgrades and clean installs. If you’ve messed with the default 10.6 install in any significant way (ie: messing with the unix layer), you’re better off doing a clean install.

I never do upgrades, i always to fresh installs… I really should wait till my SSD arrives, but id like to try it before i order more ram for the wifes White MB 2.4 she’s still on 10.5 lol!

Putting it off because I have Office 2004… and I’ve never even goddam used it.
Putting it off because I ‘only’ have a 12Mb connection at home and the office is so much faster…
Putting it off because two people in the review section said it made their 2.0Ghz laptops slower…
Putting it off because I’ve never actually seen it on someone else’s Mac…

If the procrastinator’s club needs a new director on the board call me Weds.
Make that Friday…

or at least someone say Do it! It’s really, really worth it.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Putting it off because I have Office 2004… and I’ve never even goddam used it.
Putting it off because I ‘only’ have a 12Mb connection at home and the office is so much faster…
Putting it off because two people in the review section said it made their 2.0Ghz laptops slower…

Make that Friday…

or at least someone say Do it! It’s really, really worth it.[/quote]

DOOO IT! ! You will like it !

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Putting it off because I have Office 2004… and I’ve never even goddam used it.

Make that Friday…

or at least someone say Do it! It’s really, really worth it.[/quote]

DOOO IT! ! You will like it ![/quote]

Just installed it, DO LIKE!!

Well seeing as how I can’t fix my starter as it just started pouring again…
BTW my grandson born in May: this is what you look like when you haven’t seen a nice sunny day for your entire fucking life-

Contact the Russians for Office 2011. Or use iWork or OpenOffice.

Download it at the office and put it on a bootable USB drive, and use that drive to install.

It’s made the ones I’ve installed it on faster, not slower. The only time I’ve seen it go slower was an upgrade with a lot of files in the home folder (ie: 250 thousand files, all about 300gigs. The first few hours of Lion’s life was spent with spotlight indexing, so it was slower overall.

Screen shot :smile:

[quote=“jase”]

DOOO IT! ! You will like it !

Just installed it, DO LIKE!![/quote]

Dont do it, its not worth the upgrade. Wait until a few patches down the road once apple fixes some of their design mistakes