Mac Incompatibility

So a few weeks back I found out that my flatbed scanner is not mac compatible.  At first it wasn’t a bit deal, but now that my school work is picking up as far as digital work is concered, and I’m going to need to have a scanner in a few days.  I can use the scanner’s in the design lab, but that means a 10 minute uphill walk each time I want to use one of the scanners, which is not a big deal for the most part except for when I have a short deadline and need to have the scanner ready.

So, is there any way I can bypass the fact that it’s not compatible?  When I plug it in, my macbook doesn’t recognize it at all, but is there some kind of disguise thing I can do? 

It’s a Canon CanoScan 3000F.  I really don’t want to go out and buy a new one since I just had to buy a new printer and I need to get a bunch more expensive junk.

Thanks in advance to anyone with help.

How old is the scanner?

Not much you can do about it under Mac OS X.  Its one of those devices that seems to do all its thinking on the computer, not in the device (like the old days of Winmodems).

Scanners are relatively cheap these days, though.  Mine cost like $70 or something.

Is your Mac an Intel Mac?  Or do you have Virtual PC?

Have you tried Vuescan?

hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

Ah, I see that you have a Macbook.  Do you have Parallels Desktop?  That will allow you to run windows inside Mac OS X.

No, I don’t have parallels.  I’ll have to get it and see if I can get 'er to work that way.  My scanner has got to be around 3 or 4 years old by now but it’s still does the thing I need so I’d prefer to not have to go out and buy a new one.

The thing that really got me, though, is that I found out that my scanner was incompatible the day after I bought my printer, set up the printer, and ran a few sheets through it.  Had I known the scanner was incompatible beforehand I could have just bought one of those printer/scanner combos since I don’t care about the quality of print from the printer I bought anyway, heh, I get 11x17s from for $1 in the design lab :smile:

But yeah, thanks Mig, I’ll give that a try.  I spent 4 hours in the darkroom at school today and I’d like to scan in one of my prints, so I’ll use that as a test.

Ah don’t get one of those combo deals.  Shitty scanner + shitty printer + shitty fax does not equal a good combo deal.

I went for the sorta-shitty printer dealio.  I bought it because it has the cheapest ink to replace, but you have the option of getting another ink cartridge that replaces the black, for printing photos, and it’s supposed to print at comparable quality to my Canon printer which killed itself for the second time.