Lot 444 and the Friend Zone

All aboard the Love Boat. Next gas stop: Tuck Inlet.

If in fact we do get LNG this discussion would make sense so that Rupert gets property taxes or am i missing something?

I’m actually comfortable with the unanimous decision by council to rezone. As Mirau said, they were elected on platforms of change, and voting “No” would have been more of the same, financially irresponsible decision making we’re so familiar with.
However, why bother with a 3-hour public hearing? Each of the councilors in attendance (BTW where is Nelson?) clearly had their decision made before the hearing even began. I understand the need to let people have their opinions heard and recorded for public record. But why bother listening to 80% opposition from the public only to tell us in deliberation how hard this decision was, etc., and wasting all of our time? They should have let Barb and Bob say their piece, and then let Mayor Brain make a statement to the effect “We’ve heard a great deal of feedback from the public during our campaigns on this issue, and each of us has done a great deal of research into this rezoning proposal and the benefits it could provide to our community. After weighing the pros and cons, council has unanimously decided to vote in favour of the recommendations from city staff. We understand many of you have come here tonight to voice your concerns, but council strongly feels we have all the information and input we need to make this decision.”

Wow - is this the best you can come up with?

Council made the absolute BEST move they could have last night…they just ensured this city will get 18 million dollars.

Whether or not this project even moves forward or not…a vote of No last night would have been probably one of the dumbest decisions ever made by any council in Canadian history.

Nelson is in the hospital, he isn’t feeling too well

I’ve always thought that having money was having choices. Obviously then the more money you have the more choices one has. Prince Rupert has no money therefore no choice but to vote yes for rezoning so we can get money and more choices to help make a better city and community for the future. Even Mayor Brain realizes this.

[quote=“Cliffsofinsanity”]
… However, why bother with a 3-hour public hearing? Each of the councilors in attendance (BTW where is Nelson?) clearly had their decision made before the hearing even began. I understand the need to let people have their opinions heard and recorded for public record. But why bother listening to 80% opposition from the public only to tell us in deliberation how hard this decision was, etc., and wasting all of our time? [/quote]

A public hearing is a legal requirement whenever a council is considering a community plan or zoning bylaw or amendment; it’s all part of ensuring that local government is open and transparent (see s890 of the Local Government Act).

I notice that the recommended resolution in the agenda reads “THAT Council give Third Reading and Adopt” the community plan and zoning amendments. That’s a mistake. There has to be at least one day between third reading and adoption.

Hopefully that will be corrected, because otherwise their bylaw amendments could be easily challenged for procedural error by opponents. See s135(3) < bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC … section135 >.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

I notice that the recommended resolution in the agenda reads “THAT Council give Third Reading and Adopt” the community plan and zoning amendments. That’s a mistake. There has to be at least one day between third reading and adoption.

Hopefully that will be corrected, because otherwise their bylaw amendments could be easily challenged for procedural error by opponents. See s135(3) < bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC … section135 >.[/quote]

At the November 24 Public Hearing on the Wantage Road rezoning, it was read and adopted on the same night was it not?

The city is wondering what to do with that money , here is a thought PAY OFF THE DEBT

What debt are you talking about? The $250 million infrastructure deficit?

the money the city has borrowed for the non payment of property taxes of the mill but which the city still included in their budget, I think it was around $10 million over the years, before the city took possesion of the mill

A municipality is not allowed to run an operating deficit so to keep the City compliant (and out of ‘administration’) the Province passed a regulation in 2005 allowing up to $7 million of “revenue anticipation debt”, ie taxes that New Skeena had defaulted on, to be converted into long term debt without approval by referendum: < bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ … g/249_2005 >. The City has been sucking wind ever since.

There’s also about $5.7 million in debt from the Municipal Finance Authority for various capital projects, which is normal debt for lack of a better term.