Libya

[quote=“DWhite”]

Gadhafi may be a dictatorial tyrant and perhaps an illegitimate ruler but he has been the ruler for the past 40 years and when he responds to Libyan rebels attempting to oust him, the world quickly takes the side of the rebels.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to help a group who won an election rather than a group who are rebelling against an established though dictatorial government?[/quote]

cough oil reserves cough

Libya has substantial assets that the West needs.

I certainly understand that.

But if that is the only reason for supporting the rebels (and ones we are not 100% clear about) of Libya and ignoring the legitimate elected group in the Ivory Coast, then we should get the hell out.

[quote=“DWhite”]I certainly understand that.

But if that is the only reason for supporting the rebels (and ones we are not 100% clear about) of Libya and ignoring the legitimate elected group in the Ivory Coast, then we should get the hell out.[/quote]

Agreed. I find the selective interventions of the West to be ironic and disturbing. It is perfectly fine for us to sit back and observe whole sale slaughter occurring in other African countries, but, if you threaten our oil reserves then we will go in and engage in a just war.

Yep agreed…this is again about oil and nothing else. And very good point on Ivory Coast I hadn’t heard about that one. here’s a country trying to go democratic and where are we the “champions of democracy” to help them find freedom? we are in Libya making sure that we keep our hands on that oil.

The most troubling thing to me of all is that we are in an election campaign right now, and our country is at war with two nations and nobody is talking about it. Here’s a story from the Ottawa Citizen offering some reasons why…
ottawacitizen.com/story_prin … 5&sponsor=

What is this regime of sameness we find ourselves in… is there really any difference between the Libs, the Conservatives and the NDP? It seems to me that the issues they all choose as battleground issues are just so trivial compared to other things that they dare not speak about. No wonder voter turn-out is dropping. There isn’t anyone that ignites the passion in the people. Nobody has the guts to be real and tell us what they stand for.

Rick Hillier is trying to ramp up the discussion on Lybia:

cbc.ca/news/politics/canadav … ml?ref=rss

Basil Fawlty’s advice to Harper, Iggy and Layton:
“Remember not to talk about the war…”

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Basil Fawlty’s advice to Harper, Iggy and Layton:
“Remember not to talk about the war…”[/quote]

Best sketch ever… :smile: