Legendary - red alert 1

does anyone have a clue how i can install the original red alert on windows XP?

Try this, I hope it helps…Then we could PLAY!

Running Red Alert on Windows XP/2000

[quote]If you’re a fan of Red Alert and have upgraded your OS from 95/98 you may have noticed it no longer works, or if you’ve managed to get a patch it won’t support LAN play anymore. Fear not, the answer is at hand!

I’ve found a lot of people in a similar situation and without a solution. The only solution has been to download the various patches and upgrade Red Alert. There’s no definitive place to get the patches or documentation. So here it is!

RAXPFIX is what ya need. Seeki file, RAXP on the net.

RUNNING RA95 IN WINDOWS XP/2000 - INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPGRADE

1. INSTALL ORIGINAL RA FROM YOUR CD (MAKE SURE YOU RUN IN WIN 95 COMPATIBILITY). TO DO THIS FIND THE SETUP.EXE PROGRAM ON THE CD, RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT PROPERTIES. THEN SELECT THE COMPATIBILITY TAB AT THE TOP AND SELECT WINDOWS 95

2. ONCE RA IS INSTALLED RUN THE RA108USP.EXE UPDATE TO PATCH TO VER 1.08

3. NOW YOU’RE RUNNING VERSION 1.08, YOU NEED UNZIP THE RAXPFIX.ZIP AND COPY CONTENTS INTO THE RED ALERT DIRECTORY - OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL FILES.

AT THIS STAGE RED ALERT WILL RUN IN XP/2000 (PROVIDING ALL .EXE FILES IN THE RED ALERT DIRECTORY ARE SET TO WINDOWS 95 COMPATIBILITY, SEE ABOVE ON HOW TO SET COMPATIBILITY), THE PROBLEM IS THERE IS NO LAN SUPPORT. IF YOU DON’T NEED IT YOU CAN STOP AT THIS STAGE, IF YOU’RE PLANNING TO PLAY AGAINST OTHERS ON A LAN THEN YOU’LL NEED TO CONTINUE.

1. RUN THE WC4221.EXE AND INSTALL

2. UNZIP THE MANUAL_PATCH303_ENGLISH.EXE - COPY CONTENTS INTO YOUR RED ALERT DIRECTORY. OVERWRITE THE ORIGINALS.

3. MAKE SURE EVERY EXE FILE IS SET TO RUN IN WINDOWS 95 COMPATIBILITY MODE!

4. RUN RA95.EXE - YOU SHOULD GET A MESSAGE SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT WESTWOOD INTERNET COMPONENTS OR SOMETHING. HIT OK - YOU’LL BE RETURNED TO WINDOWS.

5. REBOOT YOUR PC

6. JOB DONE! YOU CAN NOW PLAY RED ALERT WITH UP TO 4 PLAYERS ON A LAN IN WINDOWS XP/2000.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, I RECOMMEND UNINSTALLING RED ALERT AND STARTING FROM SCRATCH. IT MAY TAKE A FEW ATTEMPTS.

[/quote]

doesnt work? any other ideas?

any help is much appreciated, regardless of how much it does actually help.

:smile:

strange, the editor works fine…

A solution, maybe.

1. Just dual boot MS-DOS 6.22 with Xp. You don’t need 98 to play DOS games. BTW DOS 6.22 is easy enough to find on the net…

or

1. Partition your HD and install windows 98 on your new partition.
    you just have to boot into your new windows 98 to play. Than switch back to windows xp when you want to civilized again.

You can install XP on a FAT16 drive. Also with a 3rd party FDISK type program you can make 2 PRIMARY partitions which Microsofts fdisk will not do and make the first FAT16 and the second NTFS. I know it’s complicated

Good luck
:smiley:

or 3

Try my USB in DOS tweak in another post.

Is a good site to navigate…

I am going to give it shot just for my knowledge and to revive my games.
I sure miss those one on one battles. :cry:
BUT WE WILL PLAY AGAIN! :smiley:

i have no idea what you said