Leaders' Debate

NOTE: If you haven’t watched the Leaders’ Debate, you can watch here.

Did anyone else watched the leaders’ debate, and what did you guys think?

Michael Ignatieff did surprise me and I think he did very well. Great to see Layton full with energy despite his health problems, and also he did great for the most part.

The loser in this game is Harper; he is such a bullshit artist. So full of recycled talking points that it’s getting old.

Lastly, Duceppe = http://i.imgur.com/7ceip.png

It’s too bad Duceppe’s a separatist. Even with that, I’d still consider voting Bloc if they ran candidates in Canada.

I love it how the debate on multiculturalism between Layton and Duceppe went from a pleasant talk to a progressively aggressive arguement. lol

Duceppe: BILL 101! BILL 101! DO YOU SUPPORT QUEBEC AS A NATION?
Layton: No.
Duceppe: FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU…

Not sure who won because in typical eastern Canada bias, the debate ran from 4 - 6 our time, making it pretty much impossible for most BCers to catch little more than the end.

It’s on again at seven, On CFTK.

Edit: Well that’s annoying, some other crap is playing on there. You’d figure they’d wake up and smell the coffee. It was in the guide, it should be playing. GRR. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can watch here: cbc.ca/news/politics/canadav … rs-debate/

Hopefully your CityWest “high-speed” internet will let you watch the video.

ignatief appeared to be the little kid on the playground whining and whining about what the current govt hasnt done or what they fuckd up on…

would of been better to say what he would do if he was pm…

not that i ever vote conservative or liberal…but i hope the fence sitters see what ignatief is all about…

how many times did ignatief mention he comes from a first generation (va his dad) canadian…

i come from a true first generation family…both my parents came here as immigrants…

[quote=“mcsash”]ignatief appeared to be the little kid on the playground whining and whining about what the current govt hasnt done or what they fuckd up on…

would of been better to say what he would do if he was pm…[/quote]

Well he did talk about some of his “Red Book” platform at some point, but what’s wrong with Iggy blasting Harper’s track record? Layton did the same thing on both Harper and Iggy. Anyway. More than 30% of sheeples wanted Harper Government 3, yet epically failed to realize the damage done in the last 5 years. Any ideas on how to convince the 30% that Harper Government 3 is another fail product?

Speaking of Harper Government 3:

I’ve lost faith in the intelligence of my fellow man since campbell won his last election.

Make a very edgy, public commercial highlighting this story: bloggingcanadians.ca/NonPart … r-soldier/

And how Harper hides in his office, crying in a corner then calls the USA to make decisions about our Tim Horton’s double-doubles. Almost makes no sense - like his policies and double-talk.

Same here. The people I’ve talked to who support harper are more worried about the long gun registry, and the fact that the NDP leader might take away the oil sands…
Gah…

[quote=“mcsash”]ignatief appeared to be the little kid on the playground whining and whining about what the current govt hasnt done or what they fuckd up on…

would of been better to say what he would do if he was pm…

not that i ever vote conservative or liberal…but i hope the fence sitters see what ignatief is all about…

how many times did ignatief mention he comes from a first generation (va his dad) canadian…

i come from a true first generation family…both my parents came here as immigrants…[/quote]

Well I wouldn’t worry too much about a vote for Mr. Ignatief, after all, any party that has to parachute in a candidate (and one known only perhaps to his immediate family) probably doesn’t have much of a hope of taking a riding. And Skeena-Bulkley Valley isn’t the only riding where they seem to have problems. It would appear that despite all their calls for an election over the last few years, the Liberals are probably the least prepared party heading into the election, so much for the idea that they might be the government in waiting.

As for the debate, for the most part it was a snoozefest, though if we’re to be balanced in our review, by simply remaining standing at the end of it all, I would think that Mr. Harper fared the best. Not an endorsement of his policies or anything, but when the other three spend the bulk of their time bashing your past efforts and can’t really land any major blows, then you probably end up walking away with the best score.

Harper’s one line that we didn’t really need to be going to the polls at this time, is probably the most relevant to the debate. He held up his budget as his blue print for the immediate future, and the three opposition leaders didn’t really get across how heinous a document that it was that required yet another trip to the polls.

This election certainly hasn’t been made necessary by any major faux pas of the Conservatives, it seems we head off to the polls yet again, more as a calculation of the opposition.

In our riding we have a candidate that most people -even many who won’t vote for his party - think is doing a good job so for us the election locally is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Federally though what I don’t understand is the people - particularly those in Ontario and Quebec - who can’t see that Harper’s Conservatives (like the BC Liberals) are not who their name implies. This is not the party of John Diefenbaker, Joe Clark, Brian Mulroney or other conservatives who represented a side of political philosophy that had its roots in the origins of Canada.

The Conservatives are now run by radical Reformers with the support of opportunistic conservatives who are prepared to concede ideals for the sake of power.

Seriously Canada, do we want the “traditions” of Preston Manning running our country?

[quote=“DWhite”]

Seriously Canada, do we want the “traditions” of Preston Manning running our country?[/quote]

YEE-HAW time to saddle-up boys and ride the range! :smile:

Politics in Canada tends to be cyclical over decades. I fondly remember Mulroney’s Cons getting decimated. Canada is now right of center. I am hopeful the pendulum will swing back at some point to a more moderate position.

And the post debate reviews are in. And your winner is

theglobeandmail.com/news/pol … le1985770/

Better than any debate or other form of soundbite bullshit was Jack layton and his wife on Sun Tv “Roundtable”.
The questioning was tough, fair, and balanced. Jack and his wife thrived. They had plenty of time to answer questions and switch to some topics of their own. The Laytons clearly enjoyed the experience. Sun Tv presented Jack a case of Molson Canadian for being the politician most Canadians would like to have a beer with. So much for the hatefilled rightwing attack paranoia from the left before the station even aired.
A few days in, Rick Mercer was asked what he thought about Sun Tv ? He said “One day their studio was full of drywall and the next it was full of silicone” Perhaps Ms Mercer is jealous he can’t wear his silicone Ta Ta’s to work…

[quote=“Right Coast”]Better than any debate or other form of soundbite bullshit was Jack layton and his wife on Sun Tv “Roundtable”.
The questioning was tough, fair, and balanced. Jack and his wife thrived. They had plenty of time to answer questions and switch to some topics of their own. The Laytons clearly enjoyed the experience. Sun Tv presented Jack a case of Molson Canadian for being the politician most Canadians would like to have a beer with. So much for the hatefilled rightwing attack paranoia from the left before the station even aired.
A few days in, Rick Mercer was asked what he thought about Sun Tv ? He said “One day their studio was full of drywall and the next it was full of silicone” Perhaps Ms Mercer is jealous he can’t wear his silicone Ta Ta’s to work…[/quote]

You work for FOX News by any chance?

[quote=“Smurfette”]

[quote=“Right Coast”]Better than any debate or other form of soundbite bullshit was Jack layton and his wife on Sun Tv “Roundtable”.
The questioning was tough, fair, and balanced[/quote]

. Jack and his wife thrived. They had plenty of time to answer questions and switch to some topics of their own. The Laytons clearly enjoyed the experience. Sun Tv presented Jack a case of Molson Canadian for being the politician most Canadians would like to have a beer with. So much for the hatefilled rightwing attack paranoia from the left before the station even aired.
A few days in, Rick Mercer was asked what he thought about Sun Tv ? He said “One day their studio was full of drywall and the next it was full of silicone” Perhaps Ms Mercer is jealous he can’t wear his silicone Ta Ta’s to work…

You work for FOX News by any chance?[/quote]

Ha-ha ++ :smile:

The “fair and balanced” was a harmless intentional tweak. Smurfette, you are so predictable. Now, how about Mercers silicone Ta Ta’s…

“Fair and balance” selling pitch is only used if the news program or/and channel isn’t in fact fair and balanced.