Lax Kw'alaams, Gitxaala continue filings over Watson Island

Filings related to the sale of Watson Island continue in court, as Lax Kw’alaams and Kitkatla continue to dispute Aboriginal title to the land.

thenorthernview.com/news/133929493.html

Kitkatla is many miles away from Watson Island. How can they even begin to stake claim to it when they are over 40km away.

“The existence of the Civil Claim and the outstanding claim for an injunction is a substantial interference in the efforts of the City and the Lax Kw’alaams joint venture to complete financing and otherwise close the land transaction, and the existence of the civil claim and the outstanding claim for an injunction is causing prejudice to the defendants,” read the filing, which noted Lax Kw’alaams is paying $55,000 per month "in holding and maintenance costs while the transaction is pending.

O.K., anyone want to explain this in layman’s terms? I’m not looking for people to throw mud, just respectively paraphrase.
I know it’s not rocket science but, admittedly, I’m a little ignorant.

basically it means the city can’t sell the land to Lax Kwalaams and their partners, even though they have signed an agreement in principle, and because of that agreement Lax Kwalaams is paying the maintenance fees of the watson island site until all disputes are settled whether they are real or not be it the owner the city took the land from for back taxes or Kitkatla which claims aborignal title of some sort to the land

…and it means that lax can sue gitx for those damages, if in fact this intervention they filed is baseless. Should be interesting…

'got the general idea now

Thanks people

Still ties up any progress over development of the site thought doesn’t it?

Which doesn’t really benefit anyone around here, rather than creating jobs for local residents it’s just like the golden cow for lawyers.

[quote=“Smurfette”]Still ties up any progress over development of the site thought doesn’t it?

Which doesn’t really benefit anyone around here, rather than creating jobs for local residents it’s just like the golden cow for lawyers.[/quote]

Precisely and since Kitkatla is trying to delay this further to January 2012, it is obvious they are intent on trying to tie this up for months in court, thus wasting even more money and further delaying any sale that will lead to development/jobs.

[quote=“bthedog”]

[quote=“Smurfette”]Still ties up any progress over development of the site thought doesn’t it?

Which doesn’t really benefit anyone around here, rather than creating jobs for local residents it’s just like the golden cow for lawyers.[/quote]

Precisely and since Kitkatla is trying to delay this further to January 2012, it is obvious they are intent on trying to tie this up for months in court, thus wasting even more money and further delaying any sale that will lead to development/jobs.[/quote]

I don’t disagree with any of that, but the sale of the land isn’t going to be completed until issues between the City and Sun Wave are resolved. It’s not clear who owns what out there. Hopefully the City will soon provide an update as to how it is progressing with resolving those issues.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Precisely and since Kitkatla is trying to delay this further to January 2012, it is obvious they are intent on trying to tie this up for months in court, thus wasting even more money and further delaying any sale that will lead to development/jobs.

I don’t disagree with any of that, but the sale of the land isn’t going to be completed until issues between the City and Sun Wave are resolved. It’s not clear who owns what out there. Hopefully the City will soon provide an update as to how it is progressing with resolving those issues.[/quote]

Yes you’re quite right, there are many layers to this particular onion. Funny how the City’s ongoing legal debates with Sun Wave never quite made it as an election issue, or part of any news review of the issues from the local media.

'spoke to a gentleman today who suggested that Lax Kwalaams isn’t paying the maintenance fee anymore. They did pay for 8 or 9 months. It’s presently being paid by the city.

I’m not trying to start anything by asking these questions, really. It just fell off the radar and I’m trying to get caught up.

I’ve also been enlightened that when these type of files are before the courts ( City of PR and Sunwave) the wheels of justice move a tad slow.

I hope they sell quickly and kick the watson island renters off the property like the city did way back when.