Lax kw'alaams ferry crew on strike

This group has been continually screwed out of wages for the hours they have worked since July of last year, I’m surprised it has taken them this long to strike. They should have tied up that boat long ago.

Update on my last post,
The Captain of the Lax kw’alaams Ferry was ordered by the Band manager Wayne Drury to find a replacment crew for the ferry to be strike breakers (scabs). My information is that he was unsuccessful finding strike breakers amongst north coast Mariners, ( there are marine safety courses that employees must take before working on a vessel that transports passengers, consequently, the Captains choices were limited in more ways than one)

Any discussion on the Lax kw’alaams facebook page that is remoteley supportive of the stiking ferry workers is being removed from the page by the page administrator.

Lax kw’alaams Band Council is trying to keep the residents of Lax kw’alaams and users of the ferry from getting any information that the Band doesn’t
approve.

Shouldn’t this be on the censorship thread?

I have had the privlage of working with these crew members in a different job. They are all highly trained, competent and very underpaid! Everyone in Lax kw’alaams and Prince Rupert should support these hard working indivduals.

Dave James

These dedicated people are fighting the “Good” fight for better working conditions, any worker who has ever been screwed by an employer should be supporting these strikers.

I supported them completely. I won’t go to Pt. Simpson by ferry, but I don’t think they want me there at all 'cause I’d be stirring up a lot of shit.

They need bill valpy back with herb pond.

Ajaye, we get it, now please stop solo PDA-ing (look it up on urbandictionary) about Herb Pond. It’s really disturbing.

Does anyone know if the ferry workers are still on strike?

As of early this morning, their signs were still up.

[quote=“Hoser”]

As of early this morning, their signs were still up.[/quote]

Ferry Workers are still on strike.
The Union has published a one page update,among others thing the information in the update mentions that the Band manager Wayne Drury, ordered the Captain to find a crew of Strikebreakers (Scabs) to operate the Ferry, Captain tried but couldn’t find people with the right qualifications willing to Scab a Strike

Update also said the crew is owed between $2000.00 to $4000.00 each in unpaid wages and overtime, crew wants to be paid for hours already worked before returning to negotiation.

Lax Kw’alaams Band is offering 1% in each year of a 3 year agreement the crew is asking for 8% in the 1st Year and 4% in the 2nd and 3rd years of a 3 year agreement.

Update includes an example that 8% = $1.79 on a deckhands wage, less than the price of a cup of coffee.

My Dad told me a long time ago that Unions don’t Unionize workplaces, Shitty employers unionize workplaces, true then, true today.

Regardless of how competent and hardworking the crew of the ferry is, how can you justify any increase in wages on a money losing operation?

Is infrastructure supposed to make money ?

[quote=“leroy”]

Is infrastructure supposed to make money ?[/quote]

according to the bc liberals and bc ferries… yes. at the cost of good service/service at all specifically

[quote=“jesus”]

Is infrastructure supposed to make money ?

according to the bc liberals and bc ferries… yes. at the cost of good service/service at all specifically[/quote]

Tell me why a sewer pipe, road, bridge, airport ferry etc. should generate profit, one way the benefits of infrastructure are measured isinthe economic activity that the infrastructure allows.

[quote=“leroy”]

Tell me why a sewer pipe, road, bridge, airport ferry etc. should generate profit, one way the benefits of infrastructure are measured isinthe economic activity that the infrastructure allows.[/quote]

because politicians friends make assloads of guaranteed profits off the services then give said politicians nice kickbacks

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“leroy”]

Tell me why a sewer pipe, road, bridge, airport ferry etc. should generate profit, one way the benefits of infrastructure are measured isinthe economic activity that the infrastructure allows.[/quote]

because politicians friends make assloads of guaranteed profits off the services then give said politicians nice kickbacks[/quote]

I talked to one of the crew members, he claims the savings in diesel fuel from changing the departure point from Fairview to Seal Cove would pay for more than what the crew is asking for and then some,

[quote=“leroy”]

[quote=“jesus”]

because politicians friends make assloads of guaranteed profits off the services then give said politicians nice kickbacks

I talked to one of the crew members, he claims the savings in diesel fuel from changing the departure point from Fairview to Seal Cove would pay for more than what the crew is asking for and then some,[/quote]

Well they could just do that and not give them a pay raise… Might want to keep that kind of advice to themselves :wink:

OOOOPS too late now oh well

It amazes me that there are two 40+ year old ferries servicing the harbour both losing money. The city should get out of the marine industry and let the lax kw’alaams ferry do both runs. You might even justify buying a new vessel.