Laptop Wireless Network

I now have a laptop with a wireless network. Someone said they could surf the net at Tim Hortons and use the signal from Rupert Hotel. Does anyone the steps on how to set it up, because there is high speed set up accross the street from me? PLEASE?

:open_mouth:

If you’re using XP and the wireless card’s built in, you should just have to right-click the wireless network connection, pick view available and click connect to…
if it’s an add-on wireless card you’ll have to rtfm…

Time to war-drive PR…

MiG…when was the last time you did?

I forsee another HTMF event!

Last time I did this was a couple of years ago with Matthew. He had a great antenna, one of those home-built directional ones.

HTMF War Driving Night!

Oh oh, we have a really big one that you can use.

http://hackingthemainframe.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=21&pos=2

Heh, I’m going war-flying here this week… Big antenna, laptop and all :wink:

Apparently most APs hit 2000feet vertically or so.

[quote] If you’re using XP and the wireless card’s built in, you should just have to right-click the wireless network connection, pick view available and click connect to…
if it’s an add-on wireless card you’ll have to rtfm…[/quote]

There is one available, and it says it connects good at 11 mbps and signal good. But when I surf, page cannot be displayed?

[quote=“kingwolf13”]

[quote] If you’re using XP and the wireless card’s built in, you should just have to right-click the wireless network connection, pick view available and click connect to…
if it’s an add-on wireless card you’ll have to rtfm…[/quote]

There is one available, and it says it connects good at 11 mbps and signal good. But when I surf, page cannot be displayed?[/quote]

You might be getting a signal from the AP but it might be secured. Check the status of your wireless connection in your Network Connections.
(right click the wireless icon, hit Status, then Support)

What kind of an IP do you have? does it start with 169.254? Or 192.168? Or something completely different?

Kinwolf, you might want to download ‘Net Stumbler’ and try it out. It seems to be one of the more popular network detectors. I had a lot of peoblems with my wireless network once I switched to this Woods Lake Cable service. The drivers for this card, and firmware for the router needed to be upgraded for anythign to work, and some things still wont.

But yeah, ‘Net Stumbler’ might help you know if that network is secured pr something. This isn’t my strong point yet :wink: good luck.

Yeah, I will give it a go. Thanks 4 ya help. :stuck_out_tongue:

tried to post a pic of the 27db grid I just set up at x gf’s house. Trees? What trees? Supplier website doesn’t work…
Have a spare WAVELAN pcm w an N pigtail. Next time I go to Mom’s in Vanc. I can set a grid on a tripod and slurp up signals from Grouse Mtn…