Laptop Speakers

Need some 2nd guesses: New Win7 install, no sound from laptop’s internal speakers. Headphones, sound is there just fine.
Speaker icon is on taskbar, speakers are default device, drivers seem to be fine & latest ones.
MS troubleshooter useless, everything says it’s working but…
BTW, yes checked the keyboard audio adjuster.

Any ideas?

Do they make any noise at all? Like with another OS, or in the BIOS or whatever?

Nothing thru the speakers at all. I get sound thru headphones, but can’t find anything to set the output

Might not be physically connected? Or blown?

Like Mig said try a different OS (unless you have already) see if they work there if they do then keep hunting for the software issue. Even if the speakers were “blown” you should still here some static unless the coils themselves got fried which I haven’t personally seen usually its just the “cone” that gets blown apart.

I suppose the output on the sound card for the speakers could be fried… if you’ve ruled out a driver problem and its a customers laptop I’d just sell em some “portable” speakers, and duct tape and call it a day.

The other ideas are complete bullshit, its the drivers, period. I have come across the same shit a few times with 7’s sound drivers, uninstall all the drivers, get the VISTA drivers for the sound card and DO NOT run the installer, its not the drivers themselves but the dll’s with the install package, extract the .exe and do it manually from the device manager OR hire me and I’ll do it for you :wink:.

Complete bullshit? What would windows drivers have to do with sound coming from speakers in the BIOS or in another OS?

That’s why the suggestion to try another OS or see if they beep before Windows even starts – to see if the problem is physical or not.

I’ve also see it where the actual headphone jack is damaged, and the little switch inside always thinks that a headset is plugged in.

If you want to rule out the Windows driver issue, like I said, try a different OS (a live CD of ubuntu or something).

[quote=“MiG”]Complete bullshit? What would windows drivers have to do with sound coming from speakers in the BIOS or in another OS?

That’s why the suggestion to try another OS or see if they beep before Windows even starts – to see if the problem is physical or not.

I’ve also see it where the actual headphone jack is damaged, and the little switch inside always thinks that a headset is plugged in.

If you want to rule out the Windows driver issue, like I said, try a different OS (a live CD of ubuntu or something).[/quote]

haha, yeah your right on all points what I should have said was “all that is PROBABLY not needed”. I also have made the assumption that the sound was working fine till the clean install, that after the install is when this problem cropped up at least thats what seemed to be implied. He will have to clarify that for us I guess, if my assumption is correct all the rest is a waste of time. I was actually hoping to rile you up a bit, but you knew that didnt you? I could tell by your out of character delicate reply, that’s one for you haha !

Booting to a live cd that you have kicking around (and if you dont have one you fail) takes way less time than hunting down and installing a vista driver. Just sayin.

YEah I had to replace the hard drive on a new Acer laptop when I ran into this, tried to boot an Ubuntu CD but it wouldn’t start. Gonna try another one.
The Acer says it has both Intel and Realtek sound. And of course a useless BIOS so you can’t even look at the onboard stuff.
The main reason I ask is I had the same issue on my HP netbook. Mint couldn’t recognize the onboard sound at all (IDT) so I can’t ‘prove’ that one either.

Another really good live CD is PCLinuxOS. I used it awhile ago to install Linux on an old emachines laptop. Exceptional hardware detection.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=10