Laptop Crashes!

Hi, I’ve been having this issue with my asus laptop running Windows 7 Pro. For the past week it crashes to that blue screen (memory dump) or something. Then I couldn’t get back into Windows, only in safemode for a minute or two until it crashes. So I did manage to restore to factory. Everything was running smooth from last night till tonight. It did a huge windows update, installing 98 updates and that took over 2 hrs. About an hour after that I’m back to that blue screen crash and its asking for a boot cd to continue. Any advice please? :frowning: Thanks.

I had something similar happen to me, it turned out to be a stick of bad RAM, you can try taking you RAM out of your laptop and booting up until you hear a series of beeps, then shut down and try one stick at a time ( hopefully you have 2 sticks of memory ) Its worth a shot anyhow…

If you’re in Prince Rupert, Kris at Good Times Games does great work with laptops. He charges very reasonable rates too. Sometimes it’s just worth it to pay up to deal with the headache.

Yes its a headache. Thanks Sir Pent with the RAM advice, I’ll try that 1st tomorrow. Thanks Crazie Mike on the info for Kris; if I can’t resolve this I’ll certainly give him a shout. :smile:

Agreed, he does great work.

Sounds like a bad hard drive. Or that new MBR virus going around. Does the Asus have built in diagnostics ? if not download mem test or find out the brand of hard drive in it, download their utility and run it…

Hi Jase, yes it does have a built in diagnostics, but seems to crash also when I was testing it. I’ll run a test for that virus ur talking about. Thanks :smile:

Do you know how to take the ram out ? Take one out run the test, if it fails, take the other one out, and install the first one you took out. Run the test, if it fails, then it’s the main board OR both sticks are dead…

See this all the time with what i do all day…