Laid back or lazy?

[quote=“Incantare”]I’m fine with paying a little more for a place with better service if there are good products. Rupert Meats and Kaien Office Essentials falls under that. That’s what local businesses should be all about. Four Seasons Flowers is great too. Gae’a Pro Visions for Asian foods…

How about you guys, list the good places in Rupert? Or am I done ? haha
[/quote]

You are not done. There are any number of good stores in Prince Rupert if we took a moment.

But to keep it short, I will add just two to your list: Eddies and Seahorse.

Eddies has a great selection of magazines and its book collection with perhaps the top 100 in the best seller list and numerous pocket books to choose from is quite remarkable for a store its size in a town our size. Seahorse has a unique collection of games, toys, and gifts as well as its little area for a snack or lunch.

Anybody else want to plug a store or two?

Sure. Although I disagree with Gaia pro visions as it’s rarely open, I’ll add Farwest, the Crest, Homework, Cow Bay Gift Gallery, Sea Sport and Loaded Sports. Have nothing but good things to say about the service in these places.

Eddie’s News Stand /Third Avenue Coffee / Safeway/ Reitmans / Four Season’s Flowers / All West Glass/ Homeworks/ La Gondola/ Skeena Taxi ~ spring to mmind. In mmy experience these places offer consistent service.

I gravitate towards where mmy business is appreciated! =)

isabelydancer00

They asked around and nobody wants fresh Deli meat.

[quote=“isabelydancer00”]

Eddie’s News Stand /Third Avenue Coffee / Safeway/ Reitmans / Four Season’s Flowers / All West Glass/ Homeworks/ La Gondola/ Skeena Taxi ~ spring to mmind. In mmy experience these places offer consistent service.

I gravitate towards where mmy business is appreciated! =)

isabelydancer00[/quote]

Skeena Taxi??? How often do you use their service?

Skeena Taxi??? How often do you use their service?

Well, for 30 years - almmost everyday. I’ve only once encountered an unfortunate incident with one of their formmer cabbies.

They have a large fleet in proportion to populations of other towns/cities. They are quick - even when they are busy, the wait timme isn’t considerably long.

Having used cabs in places other than PR, I think Skeena Taxi provides stellar service!

I haven’t used Skeena Taxi in 4 years. as I live Amsterdam Nl now and ride a bicycle eveywhere. =)

I can give you horror stories of the cab operaters here.

isabelydancer00

i have a hard time shopping in town but one of my favorite stores is GoodTimesGames

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“MiG”]
It would probably be more profitable too. i.e.: actually make money?[/quote]

That’s just crazy talk, a municipal government that makes money?! That wouldn’t jive with our current business model I’m guessing. :wink:[/quote]

No crazy is a cable/internet company that makes money. Like someoneelseslink or the one I just unloaded to recover a peny for every buck I lost over the years :smile:

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
No crazy is a cable/internet company that makes money. Like someoneelseslink or the one I just unloaded to recover a peny for every buck I lost over the years :smile:[/quote]

Pretty much all internet services are a volume game not a high margin game as I’m sure you know. Once you get the volume you can negotiate better deals and lower your costs thats why shaw, telus etc can make so much money and the little guys cant. Citywest is big enough that they could profit pretty well but they’re run by retarded monkeys that have no idea about the internet or what people want from it. Their mobility arm is a perfect example of the stupidity of management.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
No crazy is a cable/internet company that makes money. Like someoneelseslink or the one I just unloaded to recover a peny for every buck I lost over the years :smile:[/quote]

Pretty much all internet services are a volume game not a high margin game as I’m sure you know. Once you get the volume you can negotiate better deals and lower your costs thats why shaw, telus etc can make so much money and the little guys cant. Citywest is big enough that they could profit pretty well but they’re run by retarded monkeys that have no idea about the internet or what people want from it. Their mobility arm is a perfect example of the stupidity of management.[/quote]

I am grateful for the vast improvement in internet quality in Rupert with quantum cable internet, far better than my old dsl but I agree that while many front line staff are great citywest is lead by a bunch of monkeys and should be turned over to private companies the way in which the mobile department went telus. However many telus internet customers in terrace are making the switch to city west, often terrace gets a better deal than we do… that always gets my goat

Citywest has been a money maker in the past, not so much now, but they are not costing the city money.
On the other hand, they have many well paid employees that contribute a lot to the town. If the city sold the telephone company, they would get a one time payment and almost all the jobs would be gone. I’m in favor of a middle class, it makes a superior society.

[quote=“stillhere”]Citywest has been a money maker in the past, not so much now, but they are not costing the city money.
On the other hand, they have many well paid employees that contribute a lot to the town. If the city sold the telephone company, they would get a one time payment and almost all the jobs would be gone. I’m in favor of a middle class, it makes a superior society.[/quote]

where exactly would the jobs go? its not like whoever bought them wouldnt need a workforce. Sure they’d cut the fat and from what we’ve heard about the operations of citywest there is a lot of fat to cut.

Their competitors pay as well as citywest and are union as well so what exactly is the problem again? citywest is a pretty risky bet for the city and its pretty horribly managed.

[quote=“stillhere”]Citywest has been a money maker in the past, not so much now, but they are not costing the city money.
… I’m in favor of a middle class, it makes a superior society.[/quote]

Citywest does cost the City money. Poor returns on the investment result in taxes being higher than they otherwise would be and/or services being poorer.

Last year all the City received from its’ $30.7 million investment was a $60,000 management fee, which isn’t a return in that the fee is intended to offset the City’s costs of overseeing the company. See pages 2, 9, 13 < princerupert.ca/sites/defaul … ements.pdf >. Citywest has not paid a dividend in years; some years it repays principal on its’ $20.2 million interest free loan from the City.

Prince Rupert could follow the example of Edmonton when it sold its’ phone company to Telus and put the sale proceeds into an investment fund. Rather than paying for a little middle class there could be wider benefits to the community. And as has been pointed out some would keep their jobs if they were working for the private sector.

I shop online or in terrace for my needs. places I shop here in town are Safeway and to buy gas, I could care less about supporting local in this town when all I get is shitty service or get the run around on why they don’t have it, or the “we can order it for you but you pay shipping” etc… Why would I do that when I can order the same item online and prob save money.
Prince Rupert is a horrible place to shop hands down. How many empty stores we have in this town?
Nothing new coming as it’s all talk for now, been talk for years now have not seen any improvements

[quote=“stinkyfeet”]I shop online or in terrace for my needs. places I shop here in town are Safeway and to buy gas, I could care less about supporting local in this town when all I get is shitty service or get the run around on why they don’t have it, or the “we can order it for you but you pay shipping” etc… Why would I do that when I can order the same item online and prob save money.
Prince Rupert is a horrible place to shop hands down. How many empty stores we have in this town?
Nothing new coming as it’s all talk for now, been talk for years now have not seen any improvements[/quote]

Ditto

I bought a lamp at Christmas time at Home Hardware here they kept saying more will be in soon as I wanted two of them. 7 months later kept checking still none in. Than they were in a flyer so checked in Terrace on Saturday there had none but told me they were coming in Saturday night, they called me Sunday Morning and put one on hold for me, today I was going back up for work so I picked it up. They would of held it longer. Thats service which sadly often lacks and I don’t feel sorry for local shops going bust.