Laid back or lazy?

So I originally moved to Prince Rupert because of the laid back attitude of smaller communities. I thought, small place, nice people, relaxed and calm living… I lived in many places and I think Prince Rupert is in fact a nice little town. Not much going on and damp weather but it has character compared to anything else inland. I moved here for work (most people do…) and I’m very busy and very tired at the end of the day…

My issue is that when I go pretty much to any businesses, ask for info, a price quote, a repair, service etc, I get the good ol’ “we’ll call you back”. They take my name. They take my number. And I go on my merry way. The problem is, nobody @$%^^$#% calls back! The car mechanics, store #1, store #2 and #3, my favorite cable company (meh!) and a few other places I went to. If I don’t call back, that’s a wrap, I never existed and my order will never show up. And when I call back I get the “eh, refresh my memory?” or even funnier “eh, can I get your name, your number and I’ll call you back”.

Do I have a forgettable face or do most front desk people here don’t give a shit?

I hate to have to call back 3 times to each business to remind them that they forgot my order and remind them of how to do their job…

I regularly encounter the very laid back attitude when dealing with businesses here in town. I try to be patient when things don’t happen. I also buy stuff on-line a fair bit. :smile:

Welcome to the north, allow me to assist you:

amazon.ca
ebay.ca
walmart.ca
homedepot.ca

Free shipping from most of those, usually faster than the local “retailers” can get stuff in and much cheaper. I order everything I can from out of town unless a business shows me that they can a) be competitive and b) want my business

Obviously where you are shopping they dont want your business.

[quote=“jesus”]Welcome to the north, allow me to assist you:

amazon.ca
ebay.ca
walmart.ca
homedepot.ca

Free shipping from most of those, usually faster than the local “retailers” can get stuff in and much cheaper. I order everything I can from out of town unless a business shows me that they can a) be competitive and b) want my business

Obviously where you are shopping they dont want your business.[/quote]

Obviously not. Problem is had 5 out of 6 businesses not call me back whatsoever when they said they would. And the one that called me back for service on my car, postpone my appointment by 2 hours :smiley: Oh well, maybe I should go fishing and worry about … nothing :stuck_out_tongue:

Buy local they said. It’ll help your neighbors they said.

I bought a car in Terrace and the dealer said that he loved how bad some dealers were in Rupert. Great for his business!

There are some awesome businesses in Rupert, but as you’ve discovered, there are a lot of crappy ones as well. Terrace and the internet exist :smile:

Ya absolutely show your loyalty shop local. I love hearing that. Let me tell you about their loyalty before onljne shopping. Fuck you deal with it was their attitude. Well now fuck em let em burn

[quote=“Incantare”]

[quote=“jesus”]Welcome to the north, allow me to assist you:

amazon.ca
ebay.ca
walmart.ca
homedepot.ca

Obviously where you are shopping they dont want your business.[/quote]

Obviously not. Problem is had 5 out of 6 businesses not call me back whatsoever when they said they would. And the one that called me back for service on my car, postpone my appointment by 2 hours :smiley: Oh well, maybe I should go fishing and worry about … nothing :stuck_out_tongue:

Buy local they said. It’ll help your neighbors they said.[/quote]

Ditto on the above

The longer I am here I honestly think the only good shopping is

Safeway, Overwaitea and Shoppers Drug Mart other wise online is best…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

Safeway, Overwaitea and Shoppers Drug Mart other wise online is best…[/quote]

Agreed. I recently started shopping at Rupert Meats. Good products and service.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

Safeway, Overwaitea and Shoppers Drug Mart other wise online is best…[/quote]

Agreed. I recently started shopping at Rupert Meats. Good products and service.[/quote]

Are they decent prices? I’m considering ordering my deli meats in bulk online as well and just splitting the cost with friends/family. Safeway and save on are gouging hard on their deli meats. I can buy the same brand of prosciutto for 2.00/100g vs their 4.50/100g and have it delivered next day. I dont mind spending a bit of extra money for quality and convenience but over double the price for meat thats been sitting in their cooler for a week is a bit much.

Edit: scratch that I WILL be ordering my deli meats online.

thanks for the information re: deli products

I quit the delis at overwaitea and safeway and now just use Maverick Mart … but that information is good if wanted a larger amount safeways deli is awful

[quote=“jamesbrown”]thanks for the information re: deli products

I quit the delis at overwaitea and safeway and now just use Maverick Mart … but that information is good if wanted a larger amount safeways deli is awful[/quote]

If you are looking for decent fresh cheeses wholesale in terrace has good prices. Selection is sorta crap but what they carry is decent quality and a good price. Im hard pressed to spend 150.00 on 4.5kg of cheese online. I like cheese but thats insanity.

Deli meat online? Holy christ I’m glad I live in civilization.

eh, im not talking about ham. I am talking about delicious cured “specialty” meats. Even when I lived in “civilization” i probably still would have ordered this stuff online. Its not that I cant get the stuff here either, its that I don’t want to pay the premium they charge which is the same price as vancouver. Screw that, I’ll bulk order 5kg online from a reputable source and save myself and my family/friends 50%. oh and before you ask bulk orders locally and from retailers in vancouver are nowhere near the same cost as online for the same brand.

I think the prices are comparable. I like Rupert Meats because the quality of meat is better.

you should move back and run for mayor jay zeus…

give give jacklee a run for their money based on drive ins and deli meats…

clean up at city halls incompetence, fire the whole lot…

maybe run on a city deli shop/drive in campaign…

your legacy would be that you could get cheap sodium sticks and caffeine in one spot…: id like a large black and 2 kilos of sausage…

[quote=“mcsash”]you should move back and run for mayor jay zeus…

give give jacklee a run for their money based on drive ins and deli meats…

clean up at city halls incompetence, fire the whole lot…

maybe run on a city deli shop/drive in campaign…

your legacy would be that you could get cheap sodium sticks and caffeine in one spot…: id like a large black and 2 kilos of sausage…[/quote]

Well it seems the citizens of rupert enjoy having the city run business instead of a city so that might actually work. I’m sure citywest could buy tim hortons (the entire corporation) and maybe some large meat distributor. How much do you want your taxes raised so we can do it? I can promise a dividend for one year then we will write off all the debt. sound like a good plan? maybe we can make some promises to sell stuff to people, have them do a bunch of work then break our promise too.

If the taxpayers of Prince Rupert can run a cable company in Terrace and Kitimat, there’s no reason they can’t run a deli in Terrace and Kitimat as well.

It would probably be more profitable too. i.e.: actually make money?

[quote=“MiG”]If the taxpayers of Prince Rupert can run a cable company in Terrace and Kitimat, there’s no reason they can’t run a deli in Terrace and Kitimat as well.

It would probably be more profitable too. i.e.: actually make money?[/quote]

Citywest Deli would sell Spam, Cheez Whiz, and Wonderbread. Because it’s the latest thing.

[quote=“MiG”]
It would probably be more profitable too. i.e.: actually make money?[/quote]

That’s just crazy talk, a municipal government that makes money?! That wouldn’t jive with our current business model I’m guessing. :wink:

I’m fine with paying a little more for a place with better service if there are good products. Rupert Meats and Kaien Office Essentials falls under that. That’s what local businesses should be all about. Four Seasons Flowers is great too. Gae’a Pro Visions for Asian foods…

How about you guys, list the good places in Rupert? Or am I done ? haha

• I don’t care until I gotta do your job.