Kitkatla Lawsuit could cost city $1-million

According to Mayor Jack Mussallem, the upcoming lawsuit by the Kitkatla First Nation against the City of Prince Rupert could end up costing the city anywhere from $775,000 to $1-Million in legal fees.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 93869.html

I can’t be the only one sick and tired of these first nations law suits … this is what is holding up a lot of the progress for our town…
Enough is Enough… Paying them money will not solve anything that’s been proven time and time again!

Aw Geez. No matter how this one plays out, the tax-payer is rewarded with the bill. Always paying for the party but never getting an invitation.

[quote=“northernguy”]I can’t be the only one sick and tired of these first nations law suits … this is what is holding up a lot of the progress for our town…
Enough is Enough… Paying them money will not solve anything that’s been proven time and time again![/quote]

While I’m not amused with this action either, let’s read the very first line of the news article;

While I’m not defending Kitkatla. I do recall it was this Mayor that managed to rile the former owners of the Watson island mill and one feisty senior citizen with his tact and diplomacy. So should we be surprised that he’s yammering about million dollar lawsuits since his preferred style of negotiation and accomodation appears to be antagonistic. Since lawsuits seem to be Jack’s preferred style of communications it’s no wonder he’s on about setting precedents etc. Since City Hall has trouble communicating to it’s taxpayers, Has anyone heard any leaks from City Hall or elsewhere how the Watson Island lawsuit with the former owners is progressing?

Then again the whole idea that the prudent use of tax payer’s dollars is not a subject for ordinary citizens to concern themselves with comes straight from our most senior level of government.

[quote=“Northern News”]How much federal money is going to be spent is a mystery because Strahl declined to give any figures or even a ballpark estimate. According to the minister, the government has no intention of releasing the figures and likened it to a private business contract, despite the fact that it will be spending taxpayer money.

The agreement has been under negotiation for the past three years and will last for 40 years after it is signed. The purpose of the agreement is to give the Tsimshian more control over, and access to the economic benefits coming out of the port in exchange for the infringements to their land rights and title caused by phase I and phase II of the port expansion. It was also announced that phase II is scheduled to begin sometime in early to mid 2012.

The agreement contains many new concessions to the Tsimshian First Nations. According to the agreement, the Tsimshian members are being guaranteed more jobs at Fairview terminal and their businesses are being promised $20-million worth of no-bid contracts, but according to Metlakatla’s chief, Harold Leighton, what they projects are is being kept secret for now.

“The coast Tsimshian will be able to negotiate directly on certain contracts. I can’t really say which ones they are right now. I don’t think there is any preferential treatment there we’ve got to be competitive,” says Leighton.
[/quote]

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 70359.html