Keep the Spirit Alive!

The budget is today (Tuesday).

Well I think the Canadian national anthem is too short.  And not oppressive enough.  The Russians kept the old Soviet tune, because it totally rocks.  I remember seeing on the WWF when I was a kid, Nikolai Volkov would sing it before a match, and I’d get goosebumps.  That is a dope national anthem.

I mean, c’mon folks…global hockey supremacy.  (Where are we going to find worthy hockey adversaries now?  Other planets?  Clone Genghis Khan and teach him how to play hockey?)  I think the national anthem should be along the lines of the original Hockey Night in Canada music, but with lyrics about how our boys dropped fire on the Nazis back in dubya-dubya 2, or something…make it all gory and epic like Iron Maiden’s song “Passchendaele.”  Not like the weak pearl harbour-ass movie of the same title with that creepy looking dude from Due South.  Add a wailing guitar solo and we are good to go!  mosh pits in every classroom at 9 am!!!

Hell yeah, I’m proud to be Canadian!!! And if you have anything impolite to say about it, I’ll shoot ya, well after I get my PAL, by which time we’ll probably have patched things up over a beer and a doobie.  I sure love not having to carry a gun around, and the sorta-free medical care is awesome.  Plus the general lack of civil war, famine, pirates, and wandering bloodthirsty ninjas also makes me proud to be a Canadian.

Seriously though, there were a few things about this particular Olympics that made me un-proud.  For example:  The focus on Coca Cola and RBC, I’m surprised they didn’t change the lyrics of O Canada to O Coca Cola…I realize these are sponsors of the event, but it was over the top.  Also putting Vancouver under martial law to protect against its own citizens.  Lets start running people over with tanks maybe, like the Chinese like to do when they start trying to have a political discussion.  I think anti-Olympic protesting is kinda dumb, but I would kill to defend their right to do it.  In fact, I noticed a fair amount of imagery that recalled the Beijing olympics, the fences definitely, but also the mascots…did they recycle the Beijing mascots or something?  And what about the Inukshuk!!! Nothing says “Vancouver” like an inukshuk.  Where was the NW Coast art in the Olympic iconography?

Maybe now that we’ve “owned the podiumâ€