Kayaking

I am looking for someone who likes kayaking. I was thinking distances like Lucy Island , melville Island, Stevens etc…

let me know if your interested

Kayaking to Lucy island, now that sounds like a silly idea to me. I just read it and thought about it , yeah silly idea. But good luck .

I once did a good day trip from Ridley Island. A friend and I left Ridley on the beach just before the grain terminal. We paddled towards Digby Island and entered Delusion Bay. We went to the end then turned back. From there, we paddled to the Kinahans. We went on the beach and explored the forest a little. After that, we paddled up to Green Top rocks and landed there with some difficulty as there is only rocks around the island. We explored that too. Then we came back to Ridley. I figured it was about 18 kms. Calm water was the key.
Lucy is quite a bit farther and the sea can become quite choppy. If you want to go for the beach, you can access a very nice beach easily within an hour’s paddle from Port Edwards’s dock at Kitson Island.
For Melville and Stevens, you should get a fishing boat to drop you off. Paddling open water isn’t that much fun anyway. The beauty of kayaking is exploring the coastline while going to places otherwise difficult to get to.
I went to Welcome Harbour with a bigger boat and we had our kayaks in this area. It was awesome. Dolphins came swimming quite near. And if you feel like it, you can paddle around to Oval Bay which is a wicked beach. You might even get some kayak surfing done.

I was actually thinking about going to Ketchican…but I didn’t want to sound silly :laughing:

[quote=“BigThumb”]I once did a good day trip from Ridley Island. A friend and I left Ridley on the beach just before the grain terminal. We paddled towards Digby Island and entered Delusion Bay. We went to the end then turned back. From there, we paddled to the Kinahans. We went on the beach and explored the forest a little. After that, we paddled up to Green Top rocks and landed there with some difficulty as there is only rocks around the island. We explored that too. Then we came back to Ridley. I figured it was about 18 kms. Calm water was the key.
Lucy is quite a bit farther and the sea can become quite choppy. If you want to go for the beach, you can access a very nice beach easily within an hour’s paddle from Port Edwards’s dock at Kitson Island.
For Melville and Stevens, you should get a fishing boat to drop you off. Paddling open water isn’t that much fun anyway. The beauty of kayaking is exploring the coastline while going to places otherwise difficult to get to.
I went to Welcome Harbour with a bigger boat and we had our kayaks in this area. It was awesome. Dolphins came swimming quite near. And if you feel like it, you can paddle around to Oval Bay which is a wicked beach. You might even get some kayak surfing done.[/quote]

Thank you for the ideas I would like to see oval bay…sounds great
I would like to try some 2 or 3 days trip.

I’ve been on Lucy when some kayakers paddled over. Doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me. Just have to be sure that a storm isn’t even close to brewing.

When I first saw this up on the home board, it looked like Fingahz was into some kinky shit.

If you are looking for 2-3 days trip, you can probably make it to Welcome Harbour in one long day. But you would have to be very careful when crossing from Port Ed to Porcher Island as this is near the mouth of the Skeena ( I’m not talking about Eso here but the actual geographical location) and the currents can be quite challenging for small crafts. Checking the tides and talking to experienced paddlers in the area would be important.
Work Channel is another place of interest. A school group from CHSS went a couple of years back and they seemed to really enjoy their trip.
Some friends have told me about an islet near the northwest parts of Melville where they camped after being dropped off by a fishing boat with their kayaks. They said that, with the right weather, it felt like a tropical island. I don’t even think it has a name, maybe just a number.
Man I wish I would have done more kayaking while in PR. I guess I’m going to have to explore the east coast now. Ride the Fundy tides. Heehaw!

[quote=“BigThumb”]If you are looking for 2-3 days trip, you can probably make it to Welcome Harbour in one long day. But you would have to be very careful when crossing from Port Ed to Porcher Island as this is near the mouth of the Skeena ( I’m not talking about Eso here but the actual geographical location) and the currents can be quite challenging for small crafts. Checking the tides and talking to experienced paddlers in the area would be important.
Work Channel is another place of interest. A school group from CHSS went a couple of years back and they seemed to really enjoy their trip.
Some friends have told me about an islet near the northwest parts of Melville where they camped after being dropped off by a fishing boat with their kayaks. They said that, with the right weather, it felt like a tropical island. I don’t even think it has a name, maybe just a number.
Man I wish I would have done more kayaking while in PR. I guess I’m going to have to explore the east coast now. Ride the Fundy tides. Heehaw![/quote]

I will have to pick the right day for Melville. It’s 13 km of open water between Tugwell and Melvile Island, and about 25km from Rupert.

Like mentioned before…
Work Channel through Union Inlet to the Khutzeymateen and maybe Dundas Island…
These areas are all GREAT for kayaking.
and if you go at the right times of the year you’ll get a good show from the Orcas and Humpbacks! :unamused: