Just read youse guys are getting a walmart

I feel like I should apologize :frowning:

And well you should, sir!

Walmart=JUNK!

Local retail and businesses went down hill way before Wal-Fart decided to open up the Terrace location…

The WalNutz candy was so cheap we couldn’t resist. It was from LAST Halloween. WTF are the dollar stores gonna do now? Or Fields?
Here’s hoping my $2 Toaster Strudels aren’t from 1998.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]The WalNutz candy was so cheap we couldn’t resist. It was from LAST Halloween. **WTF are the dollar stores gonna do now? Or Fields? **
Here’s hoping my $2 Toaster Strudels aren’t from 1998.[/quote]

I think it will be very tough on our local businesses here…Hell Mart is coming.

I do not feel sorry for local businesses here they have been ripping us off since day 1… with Walmart the strong will survive…
I will be curious to see how much space they get, there is a rumour that it could be the top floor…
I have lived here most of my life in the past 20 years except for the very good grocery stores there is no decent retail anyway so I dont feel bad for current businesses at all…

I wonder how many of the “nay-sayers” on here will be seen shopping in this “awful” retail outlet should it really get off the draft table? Will you all be in disguise? LOL

I for one will be, when you have a growing familly I look for savings if local buisness offer the same thing for less or the same price then they have nothing to worry about and will get my buisness,
but how many toy stores are there in Rupert?
how many baby stores in Rupert,
how many kids cloth stores in Rupert. I like Zellers and I will love wallmart.
if you are boycoting them for there buisness practices or becoause they only sell Chinese crap, guess what almost everything you buy is from china.

Walmart will cut into our local businesses, but, I will be shopping there.

[quote=“hitest”]

Walmart will cut into our local businesses, but, I will be shopping there.[/quote]

What local business? The dollar store?

WalMart coming in is great news for this city…and lets be real here…it is essentially replacing Zellers and I am pretty sure other businesses have been able to stay open with Zellers already here before…if something was cheaper at Zellers before I am sure people were buying it from there too…so if it is cheaper at WalMart…the same thing will be happening…really nothing new here…the best thing about this is it may attract other retailers to locate in our mall because it is widely known that other retailers LOVE locating new WalMart’s, especially in enclosed malls…thus lessening the need to travel to Terrace for shopping.

The only real way WalMart could hurt local business is if they bring in a Photo Centre…I can’t see anything else affecting any of the other stores already here. The grocery stores will take a small hit, even more so if they offer full groceries, but I think they will be fine and at least won be do damn congested as they are now.

Sure people will still go to Terrace for shopping, but at the most this will deter shoppers from QCI from venturing further in land for shopping and stay in PR to shop.

I would love to know what their first year is losses for theft are. They better hire a fucking security army in that place…

[quote=“hitest”]

Walmart will cut into our local businesses, but, I will be shopping there.[/quote]

LOL@ local business: We could loose fields, bargin store and dollar store… like it’s been said Walmart is simply replacing Zellers… if walmart did not do this the space would of been moth balled… I am happy about Walmart too bad it’s going take 2 years…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

Walmart will cut into our local businesses, but, I will be shopping there.

LOL@ local business: We could loose fields, bargin store and dollar store… like it’s been said Walmart is simply replacing Zellers… if walmart did not do this the space would of been moth balled… I am happy about Walmart too bad it’s going take 2 years…[/quote]

2 years? They said late 2012…thats 1 year from now.

Also I highly doubt Fields/Dollar Store or Bargain Store will close down…if they survived with Zellers around, I am sure they can with Wal-Mart…besides Bargain Shop is often cheaper than Wal-Mart on some items.

The article in the northern view states up to 2 years…:frowning:

BTW:
I could care less if we loose those with business, have not shopped in them for years…

I buy everything except groceries out of town… so that will change once we get Walmart…

I just hope it looks better than our Zeller’s which is one of the ugliest stores that I have ever been in, and I’ve been in a lot of Zeller’s. As for the size of it, they said they don’t know if they will renovate it or not. It also shouldn’t effect the Dollar store. As for hurting local businesses the ones that are left are more specialty stores and offer things that neither Zeller’s or Walmart carry. A lot of people in this town can’t afford stuff in these stores any ways.

[quote=“jamesbrown”]The article in the northern view states up to 2 years…:frowning:

BTW:
I could care less if we loose those with business, have not shopped in them for years…

I buy everything except groceries out of town… so that will change once we get Walmart…[/quote]

The Northern View article says they plan to have the store remodeled by the end of 2012 that’s no where near 2 years considering we are only 3 months from 2012.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]The article in the northern view states up to 2 years…:frowning:

BTW:

I buy everything except groceries out of town… so that will change once we get Walmart…[/quote]

The Northern View article says they plan to have the store remodeled by the end of 2012 that’s no where near 2 years considering we are only 3 months from 2012.[/quote]

This is exactly what I was referring too…2 years from now would be last quarter of 2013…the article said late 2012…thats 1 year from now.

Also…here is the official press release from Wal-Mart from their official corporate website.

**Walmart Canada completes acquisition of leases for 39 stores
Canada’s fastest-growing retailer to create more than 5,000 jobs **

MISSISSAUGA, ON, Sept. 23, 2011 /CNW/ - Today Walmart Canada announced that it has completed the acquisition from Target Canada of leases for 39 store locations currently occupied by Zellers. Walmart also announced the locations acquired. It is anticipated that these locations will open as Walmart stores in late 2012. Walmart expects this announcement will create more than 5,000 construction, trade and store jobs and will represent a significant investment in Canadian communities.

“We are pleased to have the opportunity to bring more Walmart stores to Canadians across the country,” said David Cheesewright, Walmart Canada president and CEO. “Canadians understand our value and quality proposition, and customers at all income levels rely on us to save them money and to be their one-stop shopping destination.”

The new Walmart stores are expected to open in late 2012 and will be a mix of discount stores, which offer general merchandise and a broad selection of pantry foods, and supercentres, which offer general merchandise as well as a full selection of groceries under one roof.

“Each new Walmart store will deliver everyday low prices on the thousands of items Canadians need. We know that times are tough and we are committed to helping save Canadians money,” added Cheesewright.

Price audits show shoppers save more than 11 per cent on a basket of everyday goods when they shop at a Walmart Canada store, compared to the market. The company estimates that it saves Canadians $17 million each month, and announced earlier this year that by rolling back more than 100,000 prices in 2011 Walmart would save Canadians an additional $55 million in 2011.

About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada, as part of Walmart International, belongs to the strongest global retail chain in the world, with access to best practices from 28 countries around the world. This network provides global best practices and compelling career opportunities for Walmart Canada associates.

Since Walmart opened its doors in Canada in 1994, the company has become one of the country’s largest employers. Recognized as having one of Canada’s top corporate cultures, Walmart offers Canadians world-class careers and is recognized within the Walmart global network as attracting and retaining some of the world’s top retail talent. Walmart is recognized for hiring for attitude and investing in associates who demonstrate promise.

Walmart Canada is a global leader in sustainable business practices, and is recognized for its efforts to promote the sharing of best practices across the business community. The company regularly tours competitors through its operations, including its new fresh produce distribution centre in Alberta, one of the world’s most sustainable distribution centres, to showcase its sustainable supply chain and distribution practices.

Facts about Walmart Canada

•Nine out of 10 Canadians shop at Walmart Canada
•Price audits show shoppers save more than 11 per cent on a basket of everyday goods when they shop at a Walmart Canada store, compared to the market
•Walmart Canada has been recognized as having one of Canada’s top 10 corporate cultures by Waterstone Human Capital
•Walmart Canada is a global leader in sustainable business practices and shares its best practices with competitors around the world
•Walmart Canada accounts for more than half of the retail growth in Canada and creates thousands of construction and in-store jobs every year
•In 2010, Walmart Canada made payments of $15 billion to Canadian suppliers
•Walmart Canada has donated and raised more than $125 million to Canadian charities and communities since 1994.
Location of the future Walmart Canada sites

Today, Walmart Canada confirmed the locations of the 39 sites, currently operated by Zellers, for which it has secured leasehold rights from Target Canada.

British Columbia
Rupert Square Prince Rupert

Alberta
Northgate Centre Edmonton
Westmount Shopping Centre Edmonton
South Park Centre Edmonton
Abbottsfield Shoppers Mall Edmonton
Meadowlark Edmonton
Deer Valley Calgary

Ontario
Gerrard Square Toronto
Sheridan Mall Toronto