Junk Food Perils

I hear taxation and negative messaging on junk food containers is being considered in an attempt to curb Canadian obesity. The horses have left the barn on this one. Go ahead, maybe it will help someone, maybe even me.
If the powers that be wanted to make a significant change in the health of our society though, they would do whatever they could to facilitate immediate and extended breastfeeding of babies. “Immediate” means right after birth and “extended” means for two years or more.
“Children breastfed for one year or longer have half the risk of becoming diabetic.” “Breastmilk has Insulin”…“explaining why formula fed babies are at risk for contracting insulin-dependent (type 1) diabetes.” And my favourite, “Breastfeeding Prevents Obesity”. This is all over the internet, see INFACT Canada for starters.
To succeed in this huge effort we would need to give mothers and babes the time they need to get the nursing relationship established; help in troubleshooting problems; and the support to keep it going. Of course some moms cannot nurse their babies for many reasons, but lets do what we can to save the next generation from wanting to supersize their next meal.

Like i say to the nutjob anti vaccination, or pro authoritarian anti abortion nutjobs i shall say to you. Mind your own fucking business and keep your junk science to yourself. Tax on junkfood is a great idea under the following condition all money is directed to healthcare. That way like with smokers you can pay for your own poor choices.

Seriously all your post was lacking was a link to your for profit breast feeding support group. What a bunch of nonsense. My kid was breastfed as long as was feasible but the only thing worse than the breastfeeding cures all crowd are anti vaccination morons. Please tell me youre at least not one of those.

Ze triple post. Infact canada… Just looked at their website wow. Its like peta for breastmilk.

[quote=“windchime”]I hear taxation and negative messaging on junk food containers is being considered in an attempt to curb Canadian obesity. The horses have left the barn on this one. Go ahead, maybe it will help someone, maybe even me.
If the powers that be wanted to make a significant change in the health of our society though, they would do whatever they could to facilitate immediate and extended breastfeeding of babies. “Immediate” means right after birth and “extended” means for two years or more.
“Children breastfed for one year or longer have half the risk of becoming diabetic.” “Breastmilk has Insulin”…“explaining why formula fed babies are at risk for contracting insulin-dependent (type 1) diabetes.” And my favourite, “Breastfeeding Prevents Obesity”. This is all over the internet, see INFACT Canada for starters.
To succeed in this huge effort we would need to give mothers and babes the time they need to get the nursing relationship established; help in troubleshooting problems; and the support to keep it going. Of course some moms cannot nurse their babies for many reasons, but lets do what we can to save the next generation from wanting to supersize their next meal.[/quote]

Breast feeding past 2 yrs is pretty fuc*ing disturbing!!!1

Wasn’t it the “Bionic Woman” who breast fed her child until he was six or eight? I’d be curious to know if he is a diabetic by now. Just sayin.

Breastfeeding good. Vaccines good. Junk food bad.

I agree, but there are limitations and militant nutjobs of any sort dont help anything. Sometimes breast feeding cant be done or like My kid needed formula on top of breast feeding the wife just couldnt keep up with demand probably because were raising a giant.

Yup. And sometimes junk food is awesome too. Absolutes suck.

Nanny State… OBEY…CONFORM…SUBMIT…CONSUME… WATCH TV

There you go being absolute :wink: if you dont vaccinate your kids youre absolutely a dickhead. Oops i did it too

I agree with that as an absolute. Children should be inoculated.

So you don’t partake in the nanny state, right? No free education for your kids, or free health care, or other benefits? Who do you work for? The nanny state?

And of course, you don’t watch TV, right?

Heh.

Nanny state is a cliche used by those wishing to turn USA into United States of Assholes. Judging by treatment of the people I know who truly deserve their disability pensions, BC is definitely NOT a nanny state.
Telling a guy with a broken arm and no legs they wouldn’t pay for fenders on his wheelchair. If he got dirty on the way to a job interview (???) he could bring a change of clothes in a plastic bag and change in the bathroom. Change in a bathroom, from a wheelchair with no legs and only one arm…
Admitting they’re obligated to pay transit when they call you in, then reimbursing $2.75 (that’s transit) for the cost of the Greyhound because they moved the office to another town…
Standing outside having a smoke, not noticing the brain damaged guy raising 2 kids by himself with their coats duct-taped together in Feb. Why should they, he never went in and applied…

don’t get me started

Now I cant speak for astro but “nanny state” is a real problem and is entirely different than what you guys are talking about. Nanny state to me at least refers to the government having involvement in affairs in which they have absolutely no place. Usually this is in response to some event where hordes of people cry out “we need to do SOMETHING so this never happens again” or results in “Lets ban XXXX so this never happens again”.

A perfect example is walkers being banned… a solution to an almost non-existent problem. Watch your damn kid instead of the tv when they are in their walker, dont have them in it when you are cooking, use a proper gate designed for stairs… no lets ban them because very few people are stupid and we don’t want evolution to cull the herd. To me that is what nanny state refers.

Oh Jesus, jesus. You reminded me of this total cornflake I know. Booted Dad out he wasn’t attentative. Puts the baby in her Volvo, rear seat facing backward with a 2 way video cam so she could see baby 24/7 and baby could see Mommy’s face 24/7…aaaaiiiiieeeee!
I could picture her yakking to that baby and staring at the monitor while she drove head on into a loaded logging truck…
I know of who you speak the Safety Nazis and such who won’t be happy until all the lifeguards must wear hard hats, googles and steel toed boots.
Never EVER suggest make a law against or put a tax on that… they will. And it will be AWFUL and nail all the wrong people, every time.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Oh Jesus, jesus. You reminded me of this total cornflake I know. Booted Dad out he wasn’t attentative. Puts the baby in her Volvo, rear seat facing backward with a 2 way video cam so she could see baby 24/7 and baby could see Mommy’s face 24/7…aaaaiiiiieeeee!
I could picture her yakking to that baby and staring at the monitor while she drove head on into a loaded logging truck…
I know of who you speak the Safety Nazis and such who won’t be happy until all the lifeguards must wear hard hats, googles and steel toed boots.
Never EVER suggest make a law against or put a tax on that… they will. And it will be AWFUL and nail all the wrong people, every time.[/quote]

Sadly these people already run (ruin) our lives. Have you had a safety orientation for one of the mines lately? how the fuck are you supposed to get any work done. I get the need for safety but holy fuck guys, overboard. If one person dies every 2 decades in all of north america including mexico its not a hazard worth protecting against. I don’t need to shove a lightening rod up my ass just in case, a warning of inclemate weather will do thank you very much.

My kid has a new bruise daily, my wife, kid nor I know where she gets em and none of us care. She’s only 2 and shes tougher than most 10 year olds because we don’t coddle her for every fucking little bump/bruise like some parents do. We do our best to protect her from potentially serious injuries and let all the small stuff slide so she can be a kid. Maybe I’m not doing it “right” but you know what? I’ve never met a happier kid so fuck doing it “right”. My kids a free spirit and I wouldn’t have it any other way.