Julian Assange is killing Canadian Soldiers

So after reading about 8 documents from Wikileaks people fighting our soldiers now know,

1. How to set up mines so those defusing them will detonate them instead,
  2. What our troops look for in booby traps, so now can do things differently,
  3. (the rest of the mine documents clearly stated the following of the Geneva war convention by Canadian forces)
  4. Our infantry maneuvers, and their weapons characteristics and capabilities, (with diagrams)
  5. Standardized tactics for war,
  6. A whole 148 page document on and I quote “WITH THE INFORMATION REQUIRED TO READILY CONDUCT THEIR MISSIONS AT TACTICAL LEVEL”

I see no need for this information to be made public. In fact it is irresponsible to the men and women serving our country overseas. There was nothing in those documents I read to be of any value to anyone but those we are at war with.

Julian Assange is no friend to the Canadian people, Future injuries and deaths of our soldiers fall on his shoulders

Shouldn’t the focus really be on the person who leaked these documents? Private First Class Bradley E. Manning! And why should a Private in the US Army have access to that kind of information? If Wikileaks didn’t exist the information would be just as public.

Shouldn’t the focus be that sites like wikileaks are going to make war more difficult?
Or that the damn military itself is announcing to the whole bloody world when and where the next offensive will be?
I think the hawks still glorifying our troops while making them parade like ducks at a carnival shoot have outkilled Assange at least 100-nil.

[quote=“expat@htmf.com”]So after reading about 8 documents from Wikileaks people fighting our soldiers now know,

3. (the rest of the mine documents clearly stated the following of the Geneva war convention by Canadian forces)
  4. Our infantry maneuvers, and their weapons characteristics and capabilities, (with diagrams)
  6. A whole 148 page document on and I quote “WITH THE INFORMATION REQUIRED TO READILY CONDUCT THEIR MISSIONS AT TACTICAL LEVEL”

I see no need for this information to be made public. In fact it is irresponsible to the men and women serving our country overseas. There was nothing in those documents I read to be of any value to anyone but those we are at war with.

Julian Assange is no friend to the Canadian people, Future injuries and deaths of our soldiers fall on his shoulders[/quote]

If our soldiers werent in some foreign country that didn’t want us there in the first place then we wouldnt have to worry about them losing their lives now would we. Wikileaks does a lot of good and I’ve yet to hear of a single person being harmed due to the information they released. Discounting of course a few politicians ego’s.

What you should find more disturbing is the fact that the advisor to our prime minister thinks ‘jokingly’ (afterwards) that we should assassinate a person because they are releasing information that we all already ‘know’. It’s ok though thats not important right. Advisors to our prime minister shouldnt have good judgement or ethics.

[quote=“expat@htmf.com”]So after reading about 8 documents from Wikileaks people fighting our soldiers now know,

Julian Assange is no friend to the Canadian people, Future injuries and deaths of our soldiers fall on his shoulders[/quote]

While I have to agree that the irresponsible release our tactical logistics should be frowned upon, Wikileaks is more a sign of the times and valuable than any news broadcast out there.

There quite simply is too much going on in the wake of 9/11 and the segway to 9/11 and after we went to war in Afghanistan, I believe. Governments quietly removing our privacy rights and just being a bigger big-brother than ever before.

Now our internet is under full control of the US government and it’s whim for censorship with the recent pass of the law allowing the removal of DNS records for any website they see fit. You cannot without a reasonable amount of doubt believe that this law was “planned” to be passed just a few days prior to Wikileaks well broadcasted release date of damaging documents?

You know how it starts, remove the freedoms using fear of “insert era-specific terror or threat here” and justify removal of privacy rights. Spy, tap, fib on our neighbor. There is another state that was brought into existence in just this manner. And the “measures taken to be able to deal with the threat on domestic soil” is always misused.

Seriously, there’s no tinfoil hat talk here. This is history. This is well documented tactics that governments use to control. We need to be very careful we do not become what we despise.

Apparently about half of the wikileaks information is unclassifed, most of the rest is ‘confidential’, a small amount is ‘secret’ and none of it is ‘top secret’. There was a report recently on CBC saying that hundreds of thousands of Americans, both in government and in the private sector, have access to ‘secret’ and above. I wouldn’t be surprised if quite a few of them are low level people (eg ‘privates’).

I don’t recall reading any news reports that suggest that the information in question reveals anything that would compromise our forces in Afghanistan; even leaving aside that our military is apparently more secretive than the US and UK forces.

By my reading of the evolving story the leaks seem to mostly cause embarrassment to some politicians and provide insights about how the US views many other countries, including its friends.