Job's in Rupert

Tats & piercings are okay. Show up in a hoodie, stooping with your hands inside it and never look me in the eye, I would probably just shoot you right there… save society a bundle.

[quote=“smartass”]
As an employer in Prince Rupert as well… I have determined one thing is for sure:

C) I know ahead of time these “kids” do more “extra-curricular-activities” re: drinking, smoking up, delinquency etc, than my entire current staff put together; [/quote]

I take issue with this. my extra curricular activites include drinking and “smoking up”. However I am quite a hard working diligent employee as are my coworkers with the same extra curriculars. 

In fact those of us with extra curricular activities are the highest paid and most dependable employees at our company.

Mind you for the line of work they are applying for the potential employees are not very likely to care about their job and work hard as I do so as was said previously its all relative.

That and the IT field is full of people with “extra curricular activities” right herbie :wink:

No…I’m a tattoed person but yet I look like the next person.  My face isnt littered with jewelry or tattoos.

My point is that someone who has excessive piercings or tattoos that are in plain sight runs the risk of falling into a stereotype.  I don’t like it any more than you do but it is a fact.  An employer would be making the right business decision to aviod that individual.

Totally–especially in Rupert. I’ve never gotten a job in Rupert with a resume! Always through speaking with the manager, coming in, and showing what you can do. Insist that you show up for a day, unpaid, and strut your stuff. Who’s gonna say no to free work?

Haha, Alberta is another story. You got a pulse? Yep, you’re hired.

I once applied as a tire man in college. I walked into the shop office at noon and found about fifty people crowded around with resumes.
I was 6’2" 280lbs, ex footballer. A guy behind the counter whistled at me and waved me over, and when I got within 6 ft of the counter, he tossed me a set of coveralls, then shouted at the others they could all go home now.
Didn’t even get to talk at all…

LMAO that is absolutely classic, herbie! :sunglasses:
You do bring up an excellent point.  Your appearance is an important factor when scouting out a job.  But, the attitude that you present to an employer can make or break you.
Being bright, positive, polite, and enthusiastic is a plus.  A sullen, shitty attitude will perhaps leave you unemployed.

Maybe that was a good thing. :wink:

There’s always two sides to a story, especially when it comes to employment issues.

Last week’s RONA can’t find help because of the port story in the Daily news, is getting a bit of balance from the pages of letters to the editor.

From yesterday’s Daily news letters page:

NOT ALL THE BLAME LIES ON PORT JOBS
Letter to the Editor
The Daily News
Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Page 4

To the editor,

I am writing in response to the article on Monday’s front page regarding Rona Building Centre.

As one of the employees mentioned I take great exception to the blame the manager put on the port (wages).

Indeed there has been very few employees leaving for the port, and in fact by placing blame on a wage issue, the real issues for losing staff are being ignored.

Well wages are certainly a consideration, some people are happy to be working full time, year round, with a wage that includes benefits. Money isn’t everything, and if your staff is regularly leaving you, the company needs to look within themselves for the problems, and stop blaming the “economy.â€

FUN!
I was more or less forced to hire a partner’s kids for the summer. I had to kick one of them off MSN six times today alone. Fired them last Friday and the partner raised such a stink, I had to call them back Tuesday and tell them they were just suspended for a day.
lAST Thursday one of them loaded a shipment of cables into the cabinet we keep them in to keep people from stealing. Today he told a caller he didn’t know, here talk to the manager. The caller wanted to know if we had USB printer cables…
Get this: the other one came next door, interrupted me at a Chamber meeting to tell me a customer needed help. I walked back and it was the lady who called about the USB cable. The two of them man the counter and look directly at the cabinet with the sign “Cables: ask for help”.
So it get infectious: the other girl was there too today. She comes into the Chamber meeting 15 minutes later to ask where the vacuum (of course I had to tell her to vaccuum before I went to the meet) was. There are 3 rooms in our store. It was in the one directly beside that cable cabinet, but you would have had to move your neck to see it from where she sat.
Absolutely tit fucking useless!

Sounds like you need to hire a recruiter Herbie…thats disgusting, those work habits.  I hope they are all teenagers.  It all relies on the parents.  I worked for my Dad here in Prince Rupert for about 3 summers and when the mill was on strike/layoff whatever.  When I was a teenager he RODE my ass constantly…if he seen me sitting around seducing the dog he went ape shit in front of customers.  It was a very valuable lesson.  Look busy if there is a lull…find something to do, when your not busy its all about perception.

So the plan for the past two weeks was to move to Prince Rupert but, I CANT FIND ANY INFO ON THE NET FOR YOUR JOBS. Called around to the city and to the port, looked at monster.ca and working.com, and well that would be where the boat ends, any tools you guys are using to find listings because it is harder than hell to find them here in Calgary.

Here are a few links that may help:-)  Welcome to HTMF, Maniac! :smiley:

http://www.princerupert.ca/

http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/bc-yk/5626/esp/esp-pr.shtml

Good luck in your job search!

thanks  :smiley:

try bcjobnetwork.com/

No idea where to look for employment, sorry. But I wanted to say hello, anyhow.

Best of luck!

im’ 21 with shitty teeth do you have a job for me?

if you brush your teeth i can give you something to toy with lol

So today I sent one home right away, the town is dead. Pope&Talbot announced problems and a shutdown so the whole town instantly stopped spending and won’t buy or pay a bill again until mid-September.
I asked the girsl to vacuum everything. An hour later, vacuum the whole thing (they did the front). Came back from an outcall, told them the rest of the shop. Later the last room.
Sent another home at 2.
At 3:30 I ducked out to another shop in the building to discuss something and the last girl tracked me down, came into the Ladie’s Wear store carrying the cordless (which faded out and lost the call) to tell me I had a call. Instead of telling the caller I was out or busy,
Sent her home right away.
We did $1.62 in retail sales between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm today…
At 5:25 I had Z’d the till, turned out the lights flipped the sign and was checking my messages for the last time when a customer came in. Another saw him come in, so they came in. Then a 3rd. With the closed sign up and the lights off, and no staff I did over $500 in under 1/2 an hour…
just fucking nuts this town.

People please, there are jobs in Prince Rupert, most people might want to consider gettin off their fat round rumps, and go looking for work, yes that’s right, get out, and look for a job. Jobs don’t jus get served on a silver platter, one must prove themselves worthy of wanting to work… Let’s get real, there are probually more drunken people on the streets of Prince Rupert, as there are job seekers, and since I work in the downtown core, I get to see them all, either leanin against a building, or passed out on a set of stairs.  I have been here for a lil over 6years now, and I also live downtown. The work is there, all one needs, is the motivation to get out, and look for the jobs. People gripe that there is no work, because they plain, and simply don’t look for it.