It's happening again

Once again, in an extremely hypocritical move, a server in a local pub is taking people’s money and then after they leave, calling the RCMP to report them.

The location … Solly’s.

Seems a year or so ago the Anchor Inn lost quite a few customers for the same reason.

Maybe you should warn all patrons to bring their mothers or wifes to remind them to not drink and drive?!?!?!
So the BArtender should turn their cheek, and let an inpaired driver up the road to create havoc?
Give your head a shake dude…I like the idea of our streets being safer, thanks to knowing
bar servers.
Good on ya Solly’s.
At one time sollys had a van to drive patrons home.

its not the drinking establishments buisness to call the police when a person drives home drunk.
they served them the booze its their responsibility as good pub or bar owners to make sure their patrons get home safe. by calling a cab or what not

to me its rather slimy and underhanded to get someone wasted in your establishment and then call the cops on them when they go to drive home… its only four more didgits to call them a cab.

very bad buisness sense…

Its called due diligence.  They need to cover their ass from a liability perspective.
Slimy is drinking and driving and hurting people.
Not knowing all the circumstances surrounding this case…was any mention made to not drive?  Alternate arrangements offered?
Like I said mothers and girlfriends cant baby sit all the time.

I can understand them calling the cops if they refuse to take a cab…I wouldnt want my kids walk on the same steets as “THESE PEOPLE”.

Its just Commen Sense.

Common sense is making neighbourhood pubs with employee parking only. If you’re discouraged from driving there, you won’t be driving away.

Common sense is walking or taking a cab.

Common sense doesn’t seem all that common.

That’s not hypocritical at all.  They are serving a legal substance in a legal location to legal customers.  People know that drinking and driving is illegal, they know its dangerous.  It’s the patrons responsibility to get home safely.  Reporting illegal behavior, especially behavior that is likely to result in a persons death seems like the responsible thing to do.  I do think that it would be good business sense to offer to call people a cab as they leave, either option is good as they keep drunk drivers off the road, but neither is perfect, the cops wouldn’t be able to stop everyone, and some people would refuse the offer of a cab. 

its not right for the bar to serve the patron untill they are impaired and make all the money from them and then call the cops on them
its also against serve it right. the waitress can actually loose their liscence to serve alcohol. they are supposed to ask for the persons keys, offer them a taxi home (which they should do after the patron has spent all their money in the bar) especially a bar that most patrons have to drive to get to.

I CAN’T believe you would have a problem with this.  I think more bars should act this way.

Maybe the bars should post a sign saying that if you decide to drive home after drinking, the RCMP WILL be called.

Obviously you have never been, or know someone who was killed by a drunk driver?  Remember Jim Ciccone and his two kids?  Some idiot drunk driver killed them.  He and his children would probably been alive today if a bartender had called the RCMP.

Still think its a bad idea?

If the patron is obviously drunk they should offer to call a cab, if the patron refuses and gets in their car the police should be called.  Beyond that the pub/bar is risking losing customers for fear of being hassled by the cops afterwards.

I dont condone drunk driving but there is a difference between having a few drinks and driving and being drunk and driving.

like i said before… waitresses are not allowed to call the cops on their patrons… serving it right will take their liscences away and they will lose their jobs.

its in the handbook…

Actually,the handbookclearly states just the opposite:

[quote]Responsibility off the premises

Apart from the duty of care owed to patrons while they are on the premises, a licensee and its staff owe a duty of care to patrons who are leaving the premises, as well as to the general public who may be affected by those patrons’ conduct. Even though a patron may have left the premises, the licensee’s responsibility may not end until that patron gets home or to another place and is able to sober up. The duty of care includes taking all reasonable steps to prevent harm that could result from alcohol being consumed on your premises.

Although reasonable steps will vary depending on the circumstances, a licensee and its staff should take a hands-on approach when it appears that intoxicated patrons may be intending to drive. You should take comments or concerns raised by other patrons seriously, and follow up with intoxicated patrons who appear to be heading for a vehicle. If there is any doubt whether an intoxicated person has a safe ride home, do not hesitate to call a taxi and be sure to watch that person get into the taxi. Call the police if an intoxicated person insists on driving home.

Licensees and staff have a responsibility for both a patron’s safety and the safety of others whom the patron may affect. When patrons or the public suffer as a result of what they believe is negligence on the part of a licensed establishment, they may sue.

Recent court decisions have put a lot of liability on bars. Of course they should be doing everything they can to avoid having that patron leave in their own automobile, but if the patron insists, the they HAVE to phone the RCMP or run the risk of being partially liable for whatever happens.[/quote]

Phone the cops    You drink and drive ! go to jail  Enough of the excuses "  I was drunk "
Sorry I ran over your kid

yes but in the circumstances at the other bars that this happened at… no cab was offered at all.
and they WATCHED him get into his vehicle… then called the cops.

THAT is irresponsible
bars are supposed to cater to their customers not push them away by calling the cops instead of doing things to prevent them from driving.

and yes i know this for sure as one of my friends was involved in it a few years ago.

as a last resort police should be called. not right away.
what does that say about the drinking establishments…
personally i wouldnt want to drink in a bar that calls the cops on me instead of being responsible and taking my keys away from me.

duty of care to me isnt sending me off in a vehicle and calling the police on me which could possibly end in a high speed chase or somthign stupid like that.

[quote]Although reasonable steps will vary depending on the circumstances, a licensee and its staff should take a hands-on approach when it appears that intoxicated patrons may be intending to drive. You should take comments or concerns raised by other patrons seriously, and follow up with intoxicated patrons who appear to be heading for a vehicle. If there is any doubt whether an intoxicated person has a safe ride home, do not hesitate to call a taxi and be sure to watch that person get into the taxi. Call the police if an intoxicated person insists on driving home.

Licensees and staff have a responsibility for both a patron’s safety and the safety of others whom the patron may affect. When patrons or the public suffer as a result of what they believe is negligence on the part of a licensed establishment, they may sue.[/quote]

kind of my point when you think of it for a second  :unamused:

The bars are not allowed to sale drinks to intoxicated persons.  It is illegal.  Having said that they can’t stop the drunks freinds from giving them more and have you ever tried to get keys away from someone that is drunk???  All this wha wha about the bar staff calling the cops if they see you get into a vec. drunk.  Get over it!!  Go directly to jail!! You sure will be a hell of alot safer locked up then if you kill someone I love.  I enjoy going out and having a few drinks too but no dam why am I going to put myself in a position where I may drink and drive.  Walk, cab, take a fringing horse or whatever to get to the bar but leave your vec at home.  Simple.  If it isnt there you can’t fool yourself into thinking you aren’t too drunk to drive.

Take responsibility for your own actions.  Oh and don’t waste your one phone call to phone me!!  Ask my son.

Drinking and driving is a horrible idea, allow me to share a terrible mistake i made one night

i got in the car and thought it a good idea to drink and drive, i spilled my fresh bottle of rye all over myself and had to turn around and go back to the liquor store to get another one, what a waste of time and money

from this point on i shall consume everything before getting in the car, and make sure my buzz is good enough to last until i get to the next location.

Good thing I wasn’t working in the liquor store!!!  Butt head!!!

Okay forgive my ignorance of the obvious, but when did the responsibility of the consumer become a thing of the past?  I read posts that ask why they (the bar staff) don’t take care of me (the bar patron) and send me home in a nice warm cab and make breakfast in the morning.  Okay, that went a little far, but the point remains,  the patron has a burden of responsibility as well.  If you are going out and you know that you will be consuming alcohol to whatever level, you should be responsible enough to make sure that your transportation needs are addressed before hand (ie. DD, or taxi).

I don’t mean to say that the burden of the bar employees is non-existent, but the patrons are old enough to make choices, whether they are alcohol-induced or not.  If one of those decisions is to drive home after a night of drinking at the bar, call the cops on them.  Save a life, or 4.

[quote=“stanley19”]…when did the responsibility of the consumer become a thing of the past?

I don’t mean to say that the burden of the bar employees is non-existent, but the patrons are old enough to make choices, whether they are alcohol-induced or not.
[/quote]

QFT

Good grief! Are people actually whining because they are not allowed to drive home after drinking?

Probably the same people who complain about getting speeding tickets - omg - when they speed.

Of all the nerve!

My thoughts exactly.  Thanks for letting me be lazy and not have to type it all out.